Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: in an anxiety tailspin - tailbone pain  (Read 169 times)

Offline worrierJ

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
in an anxiety tailspin - tailbone pain
« on: August 24, 2014, 10:32:54 AM »
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. I found it online because I have nowhere else to turn to and it makes me feel better knowing that I am not alone in this mental & physical battle.

I am not a diagnosed hypochondriac but I have never seen a doctor/psychiatrist for this specifically. Since 2010- I annually go to at least 3 doctors multiple times just to have myself checked. I spend on medical tests-- because my insurance does not cover it. And just this 2014, I have a seen a pulmonologist, a cardiologist, 3 internal medicine practitioners, and tomorrow, an ortho for some backpain. The other day when I tried to see my gp, the first thing he said without hearing me speak was "you're okay". So I guess I do have issues.

About a month and a half ago I fell pretty bad in the gym. The trainer asked me to jump up and down a stepper that was pretty high-- and I am not a jumper. Anyways I did it, but on the 5th jump, I lost my balance and fell flat on my bum. A week after that, my butt/tailbone started hurting pretty bad and it's been recurring since then. This has become the most recent cause of my worry. I'm so afraid it could be cancer or something serious. I spend hours online researching and googling-- and none of it helps.

I went for an Xray last Friday and my GP said i have a slightly scoliotic back. He didn't interpret the xray results but referred me to an ortho who would only be back in town tomorrow. The anxiety of not knowing what my xray means is driving me nuts. I keep staring at it and the longer I look, the more weird shapes I see. I even thought one was the shape of a tumor. But the xray people would have pointed it out in the results, right?

My anxiety started when I had a son back in 2008. The thought of leaving him too early has haunted me. I want to be there for him. I want to see him grow up. But this anxiety is getting out of hand and it is affecting my quality of life.

Anyone out there with tailbone pain? Anyone on the same boat? How do you deal with your anxiety?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
Re: in an anxiety tailspin - tailbone pain
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 11:03:06 AM »
You FELL on the tailbone, naturally you will have pain.  Back pain can be a devil to go away, takes a long time - I'm with your doctor here, "You are OK!"  :action-smiley-065:
My daughter had tailbone pain for 2 years and didn't even injure herself - we attributed it to sitting.  It's a common thing.
MOST people have a touch of scoliosis.  I hear that so often. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 29
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 12:58:08 PM »
If you have pain in your tailbone following a fall, yet you think it could be cancer, you don't need a doctor to diagnose you with hypochondria. (Though we prefer to call it "Health Anxiety (HA)".)   Welcome to the club! 

It may make you feel better to know that some of the people with the worst HA are doctors, artists and other high-achievers. It's nothing to be ashamed of, but it is something you need to manage or it can really impair your life.

Re: your tailbone, I fell hard on my bum a few years ago and it was painful for quite a while. Some people wind up on doughnut pillows for a while after a fall like that. But you were right to visit the doc in case you accidentally fractured a vertebrae or slipped a disc. It's probably just a very bad tailbone bruise, but IT'S DEFINITELY NOT CANCER. I promise.

Just to warn you: there is a chance in a year or more that you could wind up with pain in your tailbone again. If that happens, it's a post-traumatic cyst, which may need to be drained. It's happened to two friends of mine after bad tailbone accidents, so I don't want you to freak out if it happens to you. Again, it's not cancer and never will be cancer.

Bookmark and Share

Offline mct425

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 06:50:04 AM »
Tailbone pain is the worst!! My tailbone was fractured/broken/dislocated during the birth of my daughter. No X-rays were ordered since there is no treatment for tailbone injuries, so I'm not 100% sure what the exact issue was (fracture vs break). But I will say the pain was excruciating and took nearly 8 months to feel remotely normal.

If you fell on your bum you've most likely bruised your tailbone area and it will take time to heal.  But cancer? No way :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 7
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 07:39:05 AM »
My mother broke her tailbone as a younger woman and it still will ache at times....... and she's 82. 

Mine is sore at times from sitting in hard chairs at church!
Bookmark and Share

Offline worrierJ

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 10:18:36 AM »
Thank you everyone. I saw my ortho today and he said he called it as lumbar strain. Gave me pain meds and some do's and don'ts (since I have a job that has me sitting for long hours).

I felt so silly thinking the worst case scenarios. I was a bit more bold this time asking questions like "don't you think it's my..." or "could it be..?" just to get all the questions and doubts clear before I stepped out of his clinic.

Thank you everyone for the responses! He put me on arcoxia and lyrica for the pain. I am stopping myself from googling about lyrica since he mentioned something about early nerve damage. Hehe, I smell trouble. You all made my day better and calmed me down as I waited for my afternoon doctor's appointment.
Bookmark and Share

Offline daviezmom

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 07:39:40 PM »
I fell on my tailbone a few years back.  It hurt constantly.  After a couple months, I ended up getting a cortisone injection. I'm still pain free. 
Also, I have scoliosis. It's usually not a big deal .
Bookmark and Share

Tags: