Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Easy/excessive bruising and now bleeding gums  (Read 258 times)

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Easy/excessive bruising and now bleeding gums
« on: August 24, 2014, 06:39:37 AM »
I've been getting really bad bruises with purplish red spots in them from minor trauma lately, and just now after I brushed my teeth my gums were bleeding.  I've been worrying about leukemia for a while and the bleeding gums are making it worse...a friend of a friend had leukemia and her presenting symptom was bleeding nose and gums.  I did have blood counts, etc, done in June, so 2-3 months ago.  All was normal.  But I know acute leukemia can come on suddenly.  I don't know what to do. 
Bookmark and Share

Online Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 7
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Easy/excessive bruising and now bleeding gums
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 04:09:45 PM »
Molly, was it in only one area or around all the teeth?  I really freaked out when my gums started to bleed all of a sudden and then  thought to check my electric tooth brush.  The tip ends has worn down and were like needles. 

Hope it's nothing serious.  Why not go to the walk in clinic and ask for a CBC? 

Also, I wanted to tell you that I went for my mammogram July 28th.  I use a well known breast surgeon in Atlanta because of micro calcifications found in a regular mammo back 9 or 10 years ago. Anyhow, I noticed how she checked my nodes. FLAT handed!  Sort of a slap, slap, slap type 'feel'.  She told me to never use my fingertips to probe and feel for nodes.  I wanted to let you know.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 01:12:45 AM »
That's interesting.  It would explain why so many of us seem to feel things doctors don't! 

Just a couple of spots in the same area. 

My insurance will cover it if I get it from my doctor, I just don't know if they'll do one without me seeing him first.  Or at all. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 01:23:15 AM »
trying to post  a pic of the bruise to show how weird it looks but no idea if it'll work.
Bookmark and Share

Online Ihadcancer

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 07:48:49 AM »
When I was in my 30's,  my blood vessels would just break. I remember the one time when I went to turn a door knob and it felt like a bee sting.  I watched my finger swell and turn blue.  I went to the walk in clinic and watched it go down. The young doctor was a naturopath and MD. She ordered some blood tests that showed my Vit. C level was way below normal. She told me that can cause fragile blood vessels.  I started taking Vit. C at the level she recommended and it has only happened a few times in 30 years.  On my legs, I can bump something and get a bruise with the red spots. The red spots are where the capillaries broke. They may never fade.  I was mauled by a huge dog in 1994 and had to wear a special stocking that stopped just below my knee to prevent blood clots.  The pressure broke the blood vessels on one side of that leg and they never faded. 

I do understand and validate your fears.  I bruise easily because I take daily aspirin to prevent recurrence of colon cancer but not as easily as some people who don't take anything. Also, I'm 63 and my skin is getting very thin. 

I have 2 friends with 2 different types of leukemia.  One in her 30's,  had a sore throat that was treated for weeks and didn't get better. She passed out in the shower and hit her head needing stitches. The ER ran a blood test to see why she fainted and dx'd a RARE type of leukemia that can kill very quickly.  She's had two bone marrow tx's and is okay right now.  The other gal was VERY  pale...... ghostly pale....... and didn't feel good.  Her type is one that can never be cured but she had ONE chemo treatment that will keep her 'well' for years. It'll come back, she'll have meds, etc.  She went zip lining and mountain climbing this past week and she's in her 50's.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 09:31:55 AM »
I've had a sore throat for months now - but I think it's allergies, because it's never been bad enough to see a doctor about, and I can tell I have some crap draining down my throat regularly.  Also nasal congestion and snoring (according to my girlfriend). 

I think my vitamin C levels are normal, since I got thorough blood tests done a few months ago and everything but D was at a normal level.  But I'll try taking an extra supplement for it and see what happens. 

I'm glad to hear both of your friends are doing well. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 10:17:42 AM »
For the second time in a week or so I just had bad rectal bleeding without a bowel movement.  I do have hemorrhoids like crazy but the spontaneous bleeding is scaring me.  I'm calling the doctor as soon as his office opens.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 08:23:06 PM »
Seeing the doctor tomorrow.  Ugh.  I know he's sick of me, but there is more blood coming out of me and under my skin than I'm comfortable with. 
Bookmark and Share

Online fishmanpa

• Rec's: 22
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 08:42:38 PM »
I looked back and saw this has been an issue for over a year. What have the doctors said about it? I would imagine if it were sinister, you'd be pretty ill by now. Hope everything turns out fine at the doctor tomorrow. Let us know what they say.

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 09:05:24 PM »
Yeah, excessive bruising seems to come and go for me, but these bruises are ridiculous (see pic), and all the new extra bleeding worries me too. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline ceh1354

• Mood: Loved
    Loved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 10:34:09 PM »
Will be thinking positive for you. I'm sure all will be fine.  :yes:
Bookmark and Share
Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devilís schemes. Ephesians 6:11

Tags: