Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: fibromyalgia? fasciculations  (Read 3261 times)

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 16
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: fibromyalgia? fasciculations
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 08:26:49 AM »
thanks. i get what you are saying, i just feel confused. The reason why i feel the way i feel about fibro is because i work in hospital and doctors, nurses, etc when seeing a record that patient has fibro, thats the first thing we think of before we even meet the patient, so we form an opinion before even entering the room, that the person is probably a drama queen, over-reactive, maybe an underlying anxiety disorder, pain pill seeking stuff like that. Im sorry and i know that hurts a lot of people to hear that, but in working with a lot of doctors and nurses and other medical personnel, that is what we think before we even meet a patient that filled out a form stating they have fibromyalgia.

Well for one thing, don't lump everyone together. you say WE think this before we meet a patient. Just because you or you and your specific doctor colleagues feel that way doesn't mean that every medical practitioner does. Don't assume what's going on in your head or their heads it what goes on in everyone's head.  Second, it sounds like that you feel that because it's stress related something is not taken seriously. When I have a patient who is having stress related problems I take this very seriously and do what I can to help them learn to manage that stress. I guess I've been lucky in my adulthood though, I've been exposed to colleagues and my own personal doctors who follow the same mindset and I know not all practitioners do.

Regarding fibromyalgia: I think it's a genuine illness. I also think that there are some cases where people are diagnosed with fibro that may not have it and it's used as a so-called "waste basket" diagnosis when the symptoms can't be sorted out.

I am sorry for what your mother went through. That had to be very hard for your family and I can see why it may have left a bad impression for you :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline NeverAgain2

• Rec's: 12
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 08:43:41 AM »
Ill tell you one thing i do get anxiety about is when i have plans to do something. I don't like to make plans, i would just rather do things spur of the moment. The reason is because i don't know how i will be in advance, i dont know if i will be having a good day or bad day. I don't want to be a bummer and ruin planned events when im not feeling well. I never used to be this way, i loved going out with friends and was always looking for something to do... ever since this started, that changed me. I hate feeling this way, it's not me. I don't know why i changed really. Why do you think this happens? Like, some days any more i feel confused or just not myself, and i don't want to be around people because i feel like i would have to put on a show that im fine and that takes a lot out of me, so i would rather just go sit outside on a blanket relaxing by myself, but at the same time, i don't want to be by myself, i want to be out, i just dont feel up to it

First, I did not know your history; I thought you were just dealing with an obsession on fasculations.

Therapy is a good route if you can find a good therapist.  If.  Most therapists do not believe in an emotional cause to physical symptoms.  They will allow for it to be made worse by emotions, however, and then they will treat the symptoms (nothing wrong with that) and then slap a "Fibro" label on you. 

Now I understand, too, your reluctance to tell others about what is wrong with you.  I had severe pain, crippling pain, that wrapped around my trunk, effecting every movement.  Sitting and standing and laying down --- every movement was painful, but I couldn't go around and broadcast it, because nobody cared (and why should they, especally if they have not experienced it?), and once you announce that you have "Fibro" or something similar, "Myofascial" pain, most will look at you like you are whacked. 

Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 08:49:47 AM »
mmm....wow, that is alarming to hear. Definitely not a good therapist if they are "diagnosing" a person with fibro. A therapist is not trained in medicine (unless they are a psychiatrist) and therefore should not be diagnosing a medical condition. One thing to consult with patient's doctor to say "hey maybe you should look into these symptoms" quite another to diagnose themselves.
Bookmark and Share

Offline NeverAgain2

• Rec's: 12
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 07:34:10 PM »
mmm....wow, that is alarming to hear. Definitely not a good therapist if they are "diagnosing" a person with fibro. A therapist is not trained in medicine (unless they are a psychiatrist) and therefore should not be diagnosing a medical condition. One thing to consult with patient's doctor to say "hey maybe you should look into these symptoms" quite another to diagnose themselves.

I am not sure if you are responding to me, but therapists were not diagnosing me with anything.  They were taking the dx of psychiatrists and allopathic doctors and allowing for stress and anxiety to make "it", the unexplained,  idiopathic pain, worse.  And the psychiatrists dx was "somatic symptoms", and his belief was that the symptoms weren't physically real, that there was no biological or physiological effect (I had hypertonic muscles throughout my back and side and abdomen, which could be felt by simple palpitation), and that if I stopped believing them real --poof!-- they would go away.  A little to simplistic though in theory, true.  Now we know there is a constant feedback between muscle and mind, but with the mind in control.   When I would ask the therapist if they believed in emotionally caused physical symptoms, the answer would be sometimes, which is a good answer; but when I added "pain", the answer was   a universal  "no" as far as emotions causing pain.  I hope that corrects my meaning.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 08:16:52 PM »
I gotcha :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline livelaughlove

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2014, 06:17:21 AM »
thanks guys, i am having a tough day so far today. Ever since i got my period thursday i feel just like total crap and emotional. IT SUCKSSSSSS!!!!!! THis morning i wake up, fasiculations in my entire body out of control, feeling in a state of panic before i even get out of bed, and a restless feeling like my body is going to explode and i need to get up and run, also my hips hurt, my chest hurts/feels heavy, my neck and my shoulders hurt, and my stomach  and lower back hurt from the period. I am going down the shore and my periods are so heavy that i wont be able to wear a bathing suit which sucks. Not to be gross, but they are so bad i can't use tampons, i have to use the heavy duty overnight pads and pass huge clots all day which sucks. Ive been up since 5 am and i feel tired but i cant sleep. I also have positive chvostek sign, that is where you tap the facial nerve by the jaw joint and the face spasms. Ive had that for a while but it comes and goes, that is still why part of me thinks there is medical reason i am having problems that the doctor missed, but another part of me says its just anxiety. I think anxiety is secondary to what i am going through though but either way i have to learn how to think different. I wish i had an appt with a therapist right now. I just need to hear someone say you are going to be ok and it's ok that you feel this way, and i understand. I know i will feel better soon but i just hate going through this all the time every month it's worse during menstruation. I also wonder if my hormones are messed up, because the past few months i developed hyperpigmentation on my face, i think it's melasma. Except im not pregnant and im not on the pill. So my hormones or estrogen level i think makes it appear, then sunlight makes it worse.
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything