Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: fibromyalgia? fasciculations  (Read 2279 times)

Offline livelaughlove

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
fibromyalgia? fasciculations
« on: August 24, 2014, 06:31:33 AM »
Hi! I think my symptoms might be consistent with fibromyalgia, but I don't know, and also, I know that patients with fibro have real pain with muscle and connective tissues, but negative autoimmune bloodwork, but still, am i the only one that feels that "Fibromyalgia" is a bullcrap term meaning in other words the doctor is saying "yes you have real pain, but i don't know what it is, so therefore we have to label you as fibromyalgia"... so I don't mean to sound insensitive but i feel fibromyalgia is one of those "frustration" terms... like irritable bowel syndrome and migraine headaches. It's real, but it's a functional disorder, and i just wish more science and research was there to say hey wait a minute, here is what is really causing it... that way if you say you have a problem like this you don't get automatically put in the category of "anxiety, stress disorder" which is total bull. It just makes me really mad. My sister was like that for 7 years, turns out she actually has Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disorder so now she is on plaquenil but she had to fight her way and go through multiple docs to find an answer, at the same time constantly dealing with no one believing her and having to constantly say "no i am not stressed or anxious!". I experienced some of that myself so i just don't go to the doctor. My mom also went through that for 2 years. Turns out she actually had stage 3 hodgkins lymphoma tumor in her chest... that's when i was little, and they kept telling her oh your a mom and your husband just came down with MS, it has to be stress, you need rest and you must just have skin allergies, so they kept prescribing her creams for her horrible itch. THe cancer was causing the itch. So, you can see how i kind of hate doctors.
Anyway, here is my problem. benign fasciculation syndrome which started a few days after infection with norovirus and salmonella. I was fine before that. The neuro i went to one time said no MS or ALS and it;s just postinfectious and eventually i will get better. I am way better now than what i was when i first got it, but i still have it. Past couple days i have been really good, but i have good and bad days. My other problem, chronic chest pain since this started and sometimes it feels like i can't get enough oxygen and it hurts to breath. My doc says classic costochondroitis. So i can't do any upper body exercises for a while and i have to be careful how i turn. The pain is mostly left upper chest, 3rd rib down, and it can radiate through back to my spine especially when laying flat. I am better with ice and no exercise. Sometimes i also get bilateral lower rib cage pain. It's a throbbing pain in the lower rib cage and at the same throbbing time i will also feel a pain in the tip of shoulder, like someone is taking a hot burning knife and stabbing the top of my shoulder. I had it only a few minutes the other day in my left shoulder and lower left ribs. Sometimes i get that same problem on the right side which i hate because every time i get that it usually lasts about 2 or 3 days and it feels like someone is shredding apart my lower ribs.
My other problem, since this all started, bilateral outer hip pain which can sometimes go down to my knee, and my knee feels like it is going to explode, it's hard to explain. Ice helps on my hips. It makes it hard to get up from a seated position and if i sit too long its really hard to walk for a few minutes until i straighten out. My neck also hurts from time to time,for about 6 weeks, i wasn't able to turn my neck to the right, i just used ice and after 6 weeks i was able to turn it, but like 8 or 9 weeks i was totally pain-free.
So with all these things, ice always helps. I never have any visible swelling or redness. My rheumatoid factor is negative and so is ANA. So that should disqualify me as having an autoimmune disorder.
When i went to the doc for chest pain, she said no i dont have fibromyalgia i have costochondroitis. Also, i had to go through the speal of No i am not stressed or anxious within like the first 2 minutes of her coming in the room, which is bull. That's why i don't want to go the doctor. If you tell them about a pain you have first thing they ask is "are you stressed out about anything".
What do u guys think
Bookmark and Share

Offline NeverAgain2

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: fibromyalgia? fasciculations
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 04:54:36 PM »
Hi! I think my symptoms might be consistent with fibromyalgia, but I don't know, and also, I know that patients with fibro have real pain with muscle and connective tissues, but negative autoimmune bloodwork, but still, am i the only one that feels that "Fibromyalgia" is a bullcrap term meaning in other words the doctor is saying "yes you have real pain, but i don't know what it is, so therefore we have to label you as fibromyalgia"... so I don't mean to sound insensitive but i feel fibromyalgia is one of those "frustration" terms... like irritable bowel syndrome and migraine headaches. It's real, but it's a functional disorder, and i just wish more science and research was there to say hey wait a minute, here is what is really causing it... that way if you say you have a problem like this you don't get automatically put in the category of "anxiety, stress disorder" which is total bull. It just makes me really mad. My sister was like that for 7 years, turns out she actually has Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disorder so now she is on plaquenil but she had to fight her way and go through multiple docs to find an answer, at the same time constantly dealing with no one believing her and having to constantly say "no i am not stressed or anxious!". I experienced some of that myself so i just don't go to the doctor. My mom also went through that for 2 years. Turns out she actually had stage 3 hodgkins lymphoma tumor in her chest... that's when i was little, and they kept telling her oh your a mom and your husband just came down with MS, it has to be stress, you need rest and you must just have skin allergies, so they kept prescribing her creams for her horrible itch. THe cancer was causing the itch. So, you can see how i kind of hate doctors.
Anyway, here is my problem. benign fasciculation syndrome which started a few days after infection with norovirus and salmonella. I was fine before that. The neuro i went to one time said no MS or ALS and it;s just postinfectious and eventually i will get better. I am way better now than what i was when i first got it, but i still have it. Past couple days i have been really good, but i have good and bad days. My other problem, chronic chest pain since this started and sometimes it feels like i can't get enough oxygen and it hurts to breath. My doc says classic costochondroitis. So i can't do any upper body exercises for a while and i have to be careful how i turn. The pain is mostly left upper chest, 3rd rib down, and it can radiate through back to my spine especially when laying flat. I am better with ice and no exercise. Sometimes i also get bilateral lower rib cage pain. It's a throbbing pain in the lower rib cage and at the same throbbing time i will also feel a pain in the tip of shoulder, like someone is taking a hot burning knife and stabbing the top of my shoulder. I had it only a few minutes the other day in my left shoulder and lower left ribs. Sometimes i get that same problem on the right side which i hate because every time i get that it usually lasts about 2 or 3 days and it feels like someone is shredding apart my lower ribs.
My other problem, since this all started, bilateral outer hip pain which can sometimes go down to my knee, and my knee feels like it is going to explode, it's hard to explain. Ice helps on my hips. It makes it hard to get up from a seated position and if i sit too long its really hard to walk for a few minutes until i straighten out. My neck also hurts from time to time,for about 6 weeks, i wasn't able to turn my neck to the right, i just used ice and after 6 weeks i was able to turn it, but like 8 or 9 weeks i was totally pain-free.
So with all these things, ice always helps. I never have any visible swelling or redness. My rheumatoid factor is negative and so is ANA. So that should disqualify me as having an autoimmune disorder.
When i went to the doc for chest pain, she said no i dont have fibromyalgia i have costochondroitis. Also, i had to go through the speal of No i am not stressed or anxious within like the first 2 minutes of her coming in the room, which is bull. That's why i don't want to go the doctor. If you tell them about a pain you have first thing they ask is "are you stressed out about anything".
What do u guys think

I'm going to suggest something that you will probably not like.  You are stressed out.  About various medical issues that your family has gone through and what you are going through.  That your doctors aked should be considered not an insult be great awareness.  An easier thing to do would be to put you on some med and shove you away, "Next!".    Most doctors don't even think to ask.

Fibro?  Well, offer an opinion on that based on experience and I will get  an incredilous"right" or "you're another kook who says it is not real and "all in your head".  Neither of which is true.  It is real, and the pain is real, but what is the cause?  It is not a virus or a bacteria or Chronic Lyme Disease; but rather an over-sensitized nervous system, that became that way over time.   I'm not going to go into detial, but basically your brain anticipates pain and discomfort even before you do it, and even before you are conscious of thinking of the pain and discomfort.  It's like a blush.  Nobody thinks about blushing but it happens.  MRI and PET scans show activity in advance of movement, and then a tensing of muscles in a "fight or flight" reflex will happen even before you are conscious of that too, because of the fear of that pain..   This will act on many muscles of your body and cause contractions that will give you shoulder, neck, back, hip, knee and leg pain, and arm pains as well.

I can't figure where you're coming from on Fibro, where on one hand you say it is BS, but on the other you want to believe it exists as a physical illness.  I've been where you've been, and recovered.  Some will believe me and others won't, so I don't want to say more than this, as some people get really upset.  It is really something where a person has to decide to label themselves as having "Fibro" and that it is incurable and "manage" it, or discover that "Fibro", in one name or another, has been around since the beginning of time, with no organic cause, and that steps to reduce anxiety and stress and/or a change in lifestyle and life situations will eventually reduce and eliminate your symptoms.

I'm no doctor, but I've been there.  These are my own opinions.  I hope you will get well.  Thanks.

Bookmark and Share

Offline livelaughlove

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 06:22:56 AM »
thanks. i get what you are saying, i just feel confused. The reason why i feel the way i feel about fibro is because i work in hospital and doctors, nurses, etc when seeing a record that patient has fibro, thats the first thing we think of before we even meet the patient, so we form an opinion before even entering the room, that the person is probably a drama queen, over-reactive, maybe an underlying anxiety disorder, pain pill seeking stuff like that. Im sorry and i know that hurts a lot of people to hear that, but in working with a lot of doctors and nurses and other medical personnel, that is what we think before we even meet a patient that filled out a form stating they have fibromyalgia. So i have this internal battle going on that i deal with daily where i try to not form an opinion before meeting a patient. But i can tell you it is tough to not form an opinion. So knowing what myself and the docs and nurses and other personnel may talk about it makes me not want to tell anyone or a doctor if i am having a problem because i feel that someone will be forming that opinion about me as well. So yes i am a hypocrite, i am well aware of that.
Yes, I do think daily about my fasiculations and i never cared about stuff before this happened. But i don't feel anxious or depressed, i am very bubbly and outgoing and active. No one realizes i have something i am bothered by. People are constantly saying i want to be like you, you are always happy and smiling and talking to everyone. But whenever i am not busy I am thinking "why do i have this stupid twitching problem". I am  not worried nor ever have been worried about the cause of it, it is just the curiousity that is killing me, i just want a specific answer. If i could get that answer then i could rest. I want to know the specifics of what caused it and why it is happening, from a microbiological standpoint, that is just how my brain works. If something can't be explained by science than i don't believe it.
I am not upset about my family. What happened happened and maybe made me a strong person today. However, i frequently think about when i was little and locked myself in my room and just cried and cried. Imagine being 5 years old and your mom has cancer and your dad has first flare up with MS and you have to get raised by your older sister. That was tough. I don't feel bothered by it, but i just think about it. I remember it crystal clear, sitting in the rocking chair in my room and hugging this homemade doll my cousin made and just crying and everyone knocking on the door to let them in and i just wanted to sit and cry. I do kind of wonder sometimes if i should talk to  a therapist, but i feel like they are just going to tell me what i already know so it would be a waste. I feel that way because if i do go to a doc appt which is rare, they just tell my what i already know and what to do to get better so it is a waste.
However, i would love to find out what is causing the twitching. I do know that whenever i use gaviscon i can think really well and don't twitch for several hours after i take it. That has sodium bicarbonate in it. Sodium bicarb is used for acidosis. Prior to this all happening i was on high fat, low carb diet for a year before i finally stopped and that's when i got better, and those diets can induce metabolic acidosis. I think i had a mild metabolic acidosis going on and i am still experiencing the residual effect from it. If i tell a doc to check me for it i feel they would think im nuts. Doctors don't like to be asked to perform certain tests. I know, this is what we talk about, we hate that type of patient.
So, i don't mean to offend anyone. I am just talking about my experiences in working in healthcare. Scary, isn't it?
Bookmark and Share

Offline NeverAgain2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 09:34:41 AM »
Okay, this clarifies your thoughts on Fibro.

I'll say this:

1. Allmost all informed patients know that doctors/medical personnel have pre-conceived ideas about idopathic pain.  That is why it is almost pointless to visit most allopathic doctors.   As I mentioned, the pain from Fibro is real, caused by a sensitized central nervous system, which contracts muslces and keeps them that way.  There are psyiological changes that happen at the cellular level; but I think you probably know this.

2.   Fasiculations are a well know symptom of an over active nervous system and are harmless, except if you think about them all the time, because if you think about them all the time (curiosity is killing me) you are thinking about them in a negative manner.  You can't be thinking about them in a positve, welcoming way; otherwise, the twitches would just be a "ho-hum" or ordinary part of your day, no big deal.   I will suggest that you are worried about them. 

3. People who experience others having illnesses can believe they are made stronger by it, but often the fear of the same thing or similar lurks in the subconscious.  I think that is natural.  Is it strength or is it denial of the fear, and do the twitches harken back the memories of the father with MS?  If it did it would be perfectly understandable and not a sign weakness in a person.   You frequently think about it, so it is still an issue in the present, which is okay.  A therapist may tell you what you already know, as many of them have pre-conceived notions about their patients, too.  On the other hand, even if they have pre-conceived notions, sometimes a therapist can provide insight into your behavior that you didn't realize.  And... you may luck out and find someone who actually will approach the situaiton with an open mind.  This is bothering you.  I would tell any friend who has written what you have that very same thing. Same about the  fasiculations.

4. You take Gaviscon and don't twitch for several hours.  Can you think of any reason that a med for heartburn and GERD would do this?  I can't.  Except for placebo.  Nothing wrong with it if it works, but I think it has a calming effect mentally (remember the overactive nervous system) and allows you to think of your daily matters. 

5. Your medical work situation has given rise to the idea that there is shame to be attached to an anxiety disorder, but it is part of the human condition, and some people are more sensitive (in every way) than others, and will exhibit more physical signs.  More and more allopathic doctors are understanding a mind-body connection to illnesses, a fact that was well know as far back as the ancient Greeks and understood by doctors up until about the 1950's, when "science" was applied in earnest to all of human problems and illnesses. A human is not an automobile: fix this broken part, and back on the road again.   I am not downgrading science when it comes to virus or bacterial infection or dealing with heart disease, etc., but when it comes to ideopathic twitches, pain and other maladies, for which no test can find anything, "science" is lacking in the explanation of what human emotions do to the human body.  But... science is catching up there, too.  Medicine is an art. That old saying has meaning, because "science" cannot explain all illness or even all wellness -- the person at 105 who eats and smokes, etc..

6. You say other people wish they were more like you, similing and always talking to people.  You don't feel depressed, but people do not know your "trouble".  Do you think you can hold conflicting emotions and thoughts like that and not have it bother you? 

7.  Things will go a lot better if you understand that fasiculations are harmless manifestations of anxiety and stress.  There is plenty of "science" to back this up, plenty.  But you do not or cannot accept this, and you have to ask yourself why.   I can only make guesses, and, for disclaimer, I am no doctor or pyschological therapist.

8. Today, most visits to doctors are the result of anxiety or nervous illness.  You probably know this.  It was well known sixty years ago, but doctors want to find a cure and will test and test and test -- or not; and patients want an explanation they can easily undrestand.  Some want that diagnosis even if it is dire and wrong.   To be told that "it is all in your head" is insulting and not really true at all, as I pointed out, and patients cannot accept that and feel shame or weak.   

9. If you wish, look up the writings of Abraham Low MD, then without investing any money,  go to the library and find and old copy of his books.  You will see that this is nothing new under the sun, nothing to be ashamed of,  and something which can be treated.  Knowledge is power.
Bookmark and Share

Offline livelaughlove

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 06:15:56 AM »
Thank you, i appreciate your post. Yes, i do associate anxiety or any sign of weakness with shame and it should be "just something you don't talk about". You know, i don't ever cry. I just feel it's shameful, isnt that dumb? I just feel i always have to be strong or appear strong, even when sometimes on the inside i feel weak. I don't know i was just i guess brought up to suck it up, deal with it, and appear strong and happy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline NeverAgain2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 09:13:29 AM »
Thank you, i appreciate your post. Yes, i do associate anxiety or any sign of weakness with shame and it should be "just something you don't talk about". You know, i don't ever cry. I just feel it's shameful, isnt that dumb? I just feel i always have to be strong or appear strong, even when sometimes on the inside i feel weak. I don't know i was just i guess brought up to suck it up, deal with it, and appear strong and happy.

There is a difference between the "stiff upper lip" and "dealing with it", when there is an emergency or serious problem, but feelings and emotions are life-long things, and it is okay to express how you feel.  This does not mean getting weepy like Oprah at the sight of an ant getting crushed, but expressing how you feel about different situations in a calm and collected way to those you live and work with.  What is wrong with saying that you may fear getting MS?  Or cancer?  You are not alone.  Express it in a good, calm way to a good friend or someone you trust.

Also, when you are all alone, driving in your car, or nobody is at home.  Give yourself a good cry.  You know you want to do it. It' helps with emotions, and there is nothing wrong with it, unless you get like Oprah.  LOL

You should be able to go to any doctor and say, for instance, "Doctor, I am having the twitches.  They make me feel nervous.  Please tell me what you think."  Then the doctor, having any enlightenment, will give you once over, do some very basic neurological tests in the office, which I am sure you have seen done, draw solid conclusions with those, and then ask you if you feel anxious or nervous or have there been any stressful things going on. 

There are reasons for  fasiculations, and 99.9% of them are tied to anxiety.   And the science behind them in these benign cases are well understood.  You know this.  I suggest that you need to talk to somebody about some of your behaviors and thoughts, even if it is a close friend or minister and not a therapist of some kind.  I suggest this, because you will continue to hold these conflicting thoughts and behavoirs and, over time, your fasiculations may become a lesser symptoms of the conflicts that you are experiencing.

Try to do this just one day.  The first time you register and think about your fasicualtions, acknowledge them, rationlize their cause, and then not allow yourself for that hour and the next and the next to be bothered by them.  Or wonder about them.  Or focus on them.  You can't stop the twitches, but you can change your thoughts about them.  Yours is a habit.  Try this for three weeks.  Again, don't deny they are there, but give them only a certain due, and change your thoughts to the present moment an focus on what you are doing at work and home for others. .  It may help.
Bookmark and Share

Offline livelaughlove

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 06:06:34 AM »
thanks i just hate this. I want my old life back. I am sick of dealing with this. It's constantly on my mind. No one knows i feel this way, but i am always thinking about it. Non-stop. The curiousity is killing me because i want a scientific explanation of why this is happening to me and i know there is just no real answer out there. Like my small bowel biopsy, there is no answer. I feel like there is an answer but doctors aren't educated enough. In the differential of my biopsy was celiac, systemic autoimmune disorder, RA, hashimoto, graves, collagen vascular disease. My celiac labs are negative so i don't have celiac. ANA and rheumatoid factor negative. Normal thyroid. So no one knows why i have an irregular biopsy. That drives me crazy too
Bookmark and Share

Offline NeverAgain2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 08:35:34 AM »
thanks i just hate this. I want my old life back. I am sick of dealing with this. It's constantly on my mind. No one knows i feel this way, but i am always thinking about it. Non-stop. The curiousity is killing me because i want a scientific explanation of why this is happening to me and i know there is just no real answer out there. Like my small bowel biopsy, there is no answer. I feel like there is an answer but doctors aren't educated enough. In the differential of my biopsy was celiac, systemic autoimmune disorder, RA, hashimoto, graves, collagen vascular disease. My celiac labs are negative so i don't have celiac. ANA and rheumatoid factor negative. Normal thyroid. So no one knows why i have an irregular biopsy. That drives me crazy too

Medicine is an art, not a science.  That will never change. What you can change are your thoughts.  It is not easy, but you can.  Science cannot answer with 100% certainty the beginning of the univerise.  Benign twitches can be answered, and that is a hyper active nervous system.  I would really try to find a good therapist to talk to, because suppose you got some phyical anxiety symptom that also had not idiopathic cause, and which was much more interfering with life than fasculations?  Then what?  It happens to people everyday.  Seek some good help for anxiety and toss away the idea that it is something to be ashamed of.  What it really shows is that you are more sensitive than other people, and that is a postitive thing, I think.   Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline livelaughlove

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 06:30:01 AM »
ok thanks, that makes sense. I think i could feel a lot better if i could talk to someone about how its tough constantly pretending im ok when im not. The Fasiculations have gotten better, some days this week i haven't had them at all, but now they are slowing down and the pain has increased. It's like a tossup, i trade in one thing, then i have to deal with another thing, and im just sick of not feeling like i can to say to people, "i am really in a lot of pain and i just need to take a break and sit here with an ice pack and heal. I want to do stuff but my body is just not letting me right now". I have a hard time walking, but i still go on a daily walk for 30 minutes every day, though it is painful, and if i get to far, lately ive been thinking what if my hips get really too painful and i cant make it back. My pain is both my outer hips, sometimes my knees, my feet, my chest pain is chronic, chronic neck pain, shoulder pain, sometimes top of hand pain. Of course, this past week i was pms-ing so of course everything is increased ten-fold. Im only 36. I used to be so active and lift weights and i cant do that anymore and that really bothers me, so here i am, ive gained 10 lbs since all this began, but i just cant do what i used to do. I cant even do what the average 36 year old can do, and that bothers me. My coworkers see me limping around and are always saying you shouldn't be having that much trouble for only being 36 and i just say im fine its just a muscle pull cause i dont want to seem like im complaining.  I never have joint pain, i think my pain is all tendons, muscles, soft tissue. I want to go to a rheumatologist because since ice and advil helps my pain, maybe there is some type pain medicine that could help me ( i dont want narcotics, but maybe something that could just decrease swelling). My sister has a connective tissue disorder so i was thinking of making an appt with her rheumy. I think they would say i have fibromyalgia. I read cymbalta could help with that? But still, i agree with you, i should see a therapist so i can let out all these bottled up emotions i have inside me, that would help the most probably
Bookmark and Share

Offline livelaughlove

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 06:39:43 AM »
Ill tell you one thing i do get anxiety about is when i have plans to do something. I don't like to make plans, i would just rather do things spur of the moment. The reason is because i don't know how i will be in advance, i dont know if i will be having a good day or bad day. I don't want to be a bummer and ruin planned events when im not feeling well. I never used to be this way, i loved going out with friends and was always looking for something to do... ever since this started, that changed me. I hate feeling this way, it's not me. I don't know why i changed really. Why do you think this happens? Like, some days any more i feel confused or just not myself, and i don't want to be around people because i feel like i would have to put on a show that im fine and that takes a lot out of me, so i would rather just go sit outside on a blanket relaxing by myself, but at the same time, i don't want to be by myself, i want to be out, i just dont feel up to it
Bookmark and Share

Online AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 08:26:49 AM »
thanks. i get what you are saying, i just feel confused. The reason why i feel the way i feel about fibro is because i work in hospital and doctors, nurses, etc when seeing a record that patient has fibro, thats the first thing we think of before we even meet the patient, so we form an opinion before even entering the room, that the person is probably a drama queen, over-reactive, maybe an underlying anxiety disorder, pain pill seeking stuff like that. Im sorry and i know that hurts a lot of people to hear that, but in working with a lot of doctors and nurses and other medical personnel, that is what we think before we even meet a patient that filled out a form stating they have fibromyalgia.

Well for one thing, don't lump everyone together. you say WE think this before we meet a patient. Just because you or you and your specific doctor colleagues feel that way doesn't mean that every medical practitioner does. Don't assume what's going on in your head or their heads it what goes on in everyone's head.  Second, it sounds like that you feel that because it's stress related something is not taken seriously. When I have a patient who is having stress related problems I take this very seriously and do what I can to help them learn to manage that stress. I guess I've been lucky in my adulthood though, I've been exposed to colleagues and my own personal doctors who follow the same mindset and I know not all practitioners do.

Regarding fibromyalgia: I think it's a genuine illness. I also think that there are some cases where people are diagnosed with fibro that may not have it and it's used as a so-called "waste basket" diagnosis when the symptoms can't be sorted out.

I am sorry for what your mother went through. That had to be very hard for your family and I can see why it may have left a bad impression for you :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline NeverAgain2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 08:43:41 AM »
Ill tell you one thing i do get anxiety about is when i have plans to do something. I don't like to make plans, i would just rather do things spur of the moment. The reason is because i don't know how i will be in advance, i dont know if i will be having a good day or bad day. I don't want to be a bummer and ruin planned events when im not feeling well. I never used to be this way, i loved going out with friends and was always looking for something to do... ever since this started, that changed me. I hate feeling this way, it's not me. I don't know why i changed really. Why do you think this happens? Like, some days any more i feel confused or just not myself, and i don't want to be around people because i feel like i would have to put on a show that im fine and that takes a lot out of me, so i would rather just go sit outside on a blanket relaxing by myself, but at the same time, i don't want to be by myself, i want to be out, i just dont feel up to it

First, I did not know your history; I thought you were just dealing with an obsession on fasculations.

Therapy is a good route if you can find a good therapist.  If.  Most therapists do not believe in an emotional cause to physical symptoms.  They will allow for it to be made worse by emotions, however, and then they will treat the symptoms (nothing wrong with that) and then slap a "Fibro" label on you. 

Now I understand, too, your reluctance to tell others about what is wrong with you.  I had severe pain, crippling pain, that wrapped around my trunk, effecting every movement.  Sitting and standing and laying down --- every movement was painful, but I couldn't go around and broadcast it, because nobody cared (and why should they, especally if they have not experienced it?), and once you announce that you have "Fibro" or something similar, "Myofascial" pain, most will look at you like you are whacked. 

Bookmark and Share

Online AncientMelody

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 08:49:47 AM »
mmm....wow, that is alarming to hear. Definitely not a good therapist if they are "diagnosing" a person with fibro. A therapist is not trained in medicine (unless they are a psychiatrist) and therefore should not be diagnosing a medical condition. One thing to consult with patient's doctor to say "hey maybe you should look into these symptoms" quite another to diagnose themselves.
Bookmark and Share

Offline NeverAgain2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 07:34:10 PM »
mmm....wow, that is alarming to hear. Definitely not a good therapist if they are "diagnosing" a person with fibro. A therapist is not trained in medicine (unless they are a psychiatrist) and therefore should not be diagnosing a medical condition. One thing to consult with patient's doctor to say "hey maybe you should look into these symptoms" quite another to diagnose themselves.

I am not sure if you are responding to me, but therapists were not diagnosing me with anything.  They were taking the dx of psychiatrists and allopathic doctors and allowing for stress and anxiety to make "it", the unexplained,  idiopathic pain, worse.  And the psychiatrists dx was "somatic symptoms", and his belief was that the symptoms weren't physically real, that there was no biological or physiological effect (I had hypertonic muscles throughout my back and side and abdomen, which could be felt by simple palpitation), and that if I stopped believing them real --poof!-- they would go away.  A little to simplistic though in theory, true.  Now we know there is a constant feedback between muscle and mind, but with the mind in control.   When I would ask the therapist if they believed in emotionally caused physical symptoms, the answer would be sometimes, which is a good answer; but when I added "pain", the answer was   a universal  "no" as far as emotions causing pain.  I hope that corrects my meaning.
Bookmark and Share

Online AncientMelody

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 08:16:52 PM »
I gotcha :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: