Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Mild Allergic Reaction?  (Read 138 times)

Offline myth2ks

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Mild Allergic Reaction?
« on: August 23, 2014, 09:50:01 PM »
Hey Guys,

I am having some moderate anxiety right now about a possibility of a mild allergic reaction. I need some input from you guys on what you guys think.

It all started yesterday midnight when I ate some sunflower seeds and Chamomile w/ lavender tea. It's been quite a while since I ate sunflower seeds and probably my first time drinking Chamomile tea w/ lavender. I heard lavender and Chamomile are really good for anxiety and stress, so I bought some to help me out from all the stress I have been dealing with, and I got sunflower seeds cause of all the nutrients and all that good stuff.  After enjoying sunflower seeds and tea, I started to feel a mild chest tightness like I was kind of trying gasp for air. This started probably half hour to a hour, and after few hours later, I felt all itchy and my throat felt kind of itchy as well. I got kind of scared so I looked up the symptoms online (Damn the internet for free self-diagnosis). I was debating whether I should go to the ER, so I called Ask-A-Nurse (awesome free diagnosis for toll free) and was told that I am probably having a mild allergic reaction, and if it gets sever (wheezing, fever, hives, etc) to call them back. She told me to take some antihistamine for the throat itch. So I took zyrtec and went to sleep. It has been so far around 19 hours maybe...but I still feel chest tightness constantly, but I am having severe reaction to gasp for air or wheezing. So I have some few questions...

1) Does food allergic reaction last long?
2) Would there be a possibility that I will go into anaphylactic shock? Or anything severe?
3) Is it something else or is my anxiety getting the best of me?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 30
    • Poke This Member
Re: Mild Allergic Reaction?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 12:15:08 AM »
19 hours would be a long time for an allergic reaction - the food would be well out of your system by then.

You said "but I am having severe reaction to gasp for air or wheezing," did you mean you're NOT having to gasp for air or wheezing?  If it's just chest tightness, the likely candidate would be anxiety, since even acid reflux would pass after 19 hours.

Anaphylaxis usually happens quickly after you're exposed to the allergen and then gradually goes away. The worry with an allergic reaction is that throat or tongue will swell up and block your breathing. Did you feel something like that happening?

The last question is: how old are you?  If you're older, it would be worth getting your doc to do some heart tests. If you're younger, anxiety would be the more probable answer.
Bookmark and Share

Offline myth2ks

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 12:52:42 AM »
19 hours would be a long time for an allergic reaction - the food would be well out of your system by then.

You said "but I am having severe reaction to gasp for air or wheezing," did you mean you're NOT having to gasp for air or wheezing?  If it's just chest tightness, the likely candidate would be anxiety, since even acid reflux would pass after 19 hours.

Anaphylaxis usually happens quickly after you're exposed to the allergen and then gradually goes away. The worry with an allergic reaction is that throat or tongue will swell up and block your breathing. Did you feel something like that happening?

The last question is: how old are you?  If you're older, it would be worth getting your doc to do some heart tests. If you're younger, anxiety would be the more probable answer.

Thank You for your response. I am 23. You were right about the first part. I meant to say "not". My throat or tongue did not swell up, but my throat was itchy. But it was unusual for my chest to tighten up when I wasn't feeling any anxiety at the moment it happen, so I thought I had an allergic reaction to the sunflower seed or tea.

Edit 1: I have been having indigestion, belching, and bloating issues. I have been taking Kroger brand laxative.

Edit 2: Could it be the side effect to the zyrtec? I am feeling kind of light headed and drowsiness.
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 09:11:36 AM »
For anxiety my doc told me to only drink Chamomile not Chamomile mixed with something else - he said sometimes whatever the other thing is can cause interactions.  Take it for what it's worth
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 11:29:07 AM »
Here's my 2 cents worth.  I think you DID have a mild allergic reaction, that went away and your "mind" took over from there. 
I can't tell you HOW many times I had a genuine problem, it went away, but my mind kept it alive for a long time afterwards.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 30
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 12:47:04 PM »
If you're already having indigestion and burping (VERY common for those of us with anxiety - it eventually gets diagnosed as LPR), a mild allergy to something in the tea or the seeds could have given you full heartburn, which would burn your throat and cause it to feel itchy.

The lightheadedness and drowsiness is almost definitely from the Zytec. I can't stand allergy meds - they always make me feel foggy and sluggish.

(On a side note, someone once recommended chamomile tea to me during a time of intense anxiety. I drank it and it sort of helped, but now I can't stand the stuff because it tastes like anxiety to me.)  ;-)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: allergy anxiety