Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Agoraphobia preventing me from seeing therapist  (Read 153 times)

Offline ECee

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Hello :)
    • Poke This Member
Agoraphobia preventing me from seeing therapist
« on: August 23, 2014, 06:48:59 PM »
I finally got a call back from a therapist a week ago and the appointment is supposed to be this coming Monday. However, as of the recent week, I've been suffering from a major anxiety low and anxiety attacks, which triggered my agoraphobia making it more severe. I usually manage my agoraphobia okay, as I usually plan outing meticulously etc, but when my anxiety is at its worst, I'm terrified of leaving the house.

I had to cancel my appointment, as I've been throwing up non-stop, especially from the idea of going outside. I can't get out of my own head and I've been feeling ill mentally and physically this past week.

I don't know when this anxiety low will break, but I don't know how I'm supposed to be able to go to therapy as they want a sure date and it's so hard to get an appointment.

I just feel so helpless.
Bookmark and Share
"I can unscrew the stars..."

Offline kimjai08

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Agoraphobia preventing me from seeing therapist
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 10:41:42 PM »
I had that problem when I was going through a hard time!  Did you try to call and ask them maybe they can start out talking to you on the phone or maybe come to you.  I would let them know how you are feeling and hopefully they can work with you.  Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline LuLu82

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 01:43:35 AM »
Hi
I had this problem back in April.
 I cancelled 1 appointment because my car broke down and I felt like I couldnt commute by transit downtown.
I rescheduled when my car was fixed but had it not been fixed I would have taken a cab or tried to get a ride.  I don't know if the travel method is part of your problem or not.. I really forced myself because i couldnt even be on my meds at the time.
But the night before I felt sick and listened to some progressive muscle relaxation meditation w/focus on breathing for insomnia and it was the only meditation of about 20 I tried that somewhat made me get out of my head and calm down a bit..I wish I had the link but I couldn't find the exact video again sorry...Anyways thats all I can recommend, if you can take some anti anxiety med, I would do that
Bookmark and Share

Offline vbx

• Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 11:02:17 PM »
I know exactly what you are going through.  I was denied disability benefits because I refused to leave the house to speak with a therapist, or drive 1hr to court for a hearing.

It was that bad.  I asked if for a "over the phone hearing" but of course that was denied. 

The best treatment for agoraphobia is facing it dead on.  (Baby steps). 

Drive around the block, and slowly increase the distance each day or week.  Whatever you are comfortable with. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: