Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: blood test ordered by doctor?!?!  (Read 451 times)

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 29
    • Poke This Member
Re: blood test ordered by doctor?!?!
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2014, 06:51:11 PM »
Good lord... I just saw your other post (forum etiquette: do not post twice about the same issue just because you want more attention). FIVE doctors and FOUR tests have confirmed you're healthy?!

Marie - you don't have lymphoma, but you're actually not fine. You have a very serious case of health anxiety and you need to address it or it's literally going to ruin your life.

Don't say "I know... I know..." - you have to listen to this: you need counseling. Ideally, you need cognitive behavioral therapy to help you learn tools that will help you control your obsessive-compulsive anxiety in the future. You've tried to control it with medical tests and this forum - they're clearly not working because despite dozens of people telling you you're fine, you're still obsessing about it. (And you're costing genuinely sick patients important time with their doctors in the process.)

If you're in high school or college, ask to speak to a counselor for a referral, or talk to your parents about getting sessions with a cognitive behavioral therapist (CBT). A therapist who specializes in CBT and/or obsessive-compulsive disorders is crucial - a regular therapist will not be able to help you. It is literally the only way you're going to feel better.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marie204430

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Sad
    Sad
  • Trying to stop this cycle
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2014, 07:00:45 PM »
I know I agree :( I just feel like I can't do anything about it..everyone, including ppl in real life are getting annoyed for me.
I cannot afford to see a counselor or psychiatrist right now and free ones have a year long wait! It annoys me that physical medical testing in Canada is free but anything to do with my mental state with cost me a lot of money (and most people don't get additional insurance here because they think it isn't necessary).
All I have is celexa and my doctor has told me she doesn't think I need it yet. I got the prescription from a walk in clinic.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gomubukai

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2014, 07:11:43 PM »
What do you do for a living Marie?  Do you work, go to school etc?

You say that you feel like you can't do anything about it. But you are the ONLY one who can do anything about this. You have to get angry at the fact that you are feeling this way and decide that you don't want to live like this anymore. You have to FIGHT the fact that you do feel this way and rewire your thinking.  Giving up and giving in to the anxiety and panic is only going to reinforce the loop of panic and reassurance you are stuck in. It takes hard work, and mental discipline - but you can beat it. If you really, REALLY want to. 

I think at this point it's important to realise, that yes, you may not be able to get in to see a counsellor for a year, but there are still many things you could to do help yourself and your anxiety in the meantime.

You are pinning all of your hopes on this therapy, but the therapy is so far away that you have to consider other options to help yourself get better.

As I mentioned in one of your previous threads, I still highly recommend getting a hobby that you can totally immerse yourself in.  Was there anything yoy always wanted to learn as a child but never had the chance to?

You are the one who has the control over this now.  You've had the tests, MULTIPLE tests - you don't need any more.  This isn't about lymphoma, it's about your anxiety.  You have the control over how you choose to react to that.  You can either panic and reinforce the spiral of anxiety and reassurance. Or you can think to yourself. 'This is my body trying to trick me, i need to rewire my thinking.  I have had the tests, professionals tell me I'm healthy. So I will choose to be healthy.'

If you haven't already, read Pan's sticky on accepting the diagnosis.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2014, 07:54:47 PM »
Can you ask your parents to help out with the therapy?  You don't have to go forever, but it would help to get in there soon.

Celexa might help - it seems to help people with OCD, which is probably what you're dealing with, in addition to the anxiety. But I always advocate trying therapy first.
Bookmark and Share

Online AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2014, 08:30:50 PM »
Ask if you can make payment plans with a therapist, or see if any of them do a "sliding scale" fee. I agree with the above poster about asking your parents for help.

Talk to your doctor, primary care practitioners do have some basic psychiatric training, he certainly could get you started on anxiety medication.

Look online for free CBT worksheets. they are all over the place. message me if you need websites. I print things like these for my patients all the time. Start reading up on meditation, get a health anxiety personal workbook, these are all better than doing nothing.

Exercise exercise exercise, if you aren't you need to start. This can really help alleviate acute anxiety symptoms.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2014, 11:48:19 PM »
I agree with everything AncientMelody said!
Bookmark and Share

Offline marie204430

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Sad
    Sad
  • Trying to stop this cycle
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2014, 11:29:46 AM »
Thank you everyone. I'm going to be starting university soon so I guess I can look into counselors there and am willing to do online CBT exercises in the mean time.
My parents are unfortunately, unwilling to help. I don't disagree with medication but would have liked to try seeing a therapist first. I guess I'll make a decision soon.
Thank you all very much.
I had a better night yesterday than usual and have promised I will not touch the slightly grain sized node or the pea sized one either. Hopefully things get better from here.
Bookmark and Share

Online fishmanpa

• Rec's: 22
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2014, 11:49:55 AM »
Concerning the meds. If you went to the doctor with a physical ailment and they prescribed a medication, would you not take it to get better? The same thing applies. You went to the doctor and they prescribed a medication to help you with a psychological ailment. The worst thing that can happen is it doesn't work for you and they try another. The best thing is it works. Doing nothing insures no improvement.

Concerning CBT? There are free courses to download. You've been offered links by Ancient Melody. Take advantage of it! Again, doing nothing means nothing will happen and things stay the same. Promising not to poke and prod or Google has proved fruitless and subsequent posts show you doing just that.

Anything has to be better than where you're at now right?

Positive thoughts and good luck!

Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Offline Slangevar

• Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2014, 12:42:40 PM »
That's great news that you'll be starting at university soon - definitely stop into the counselors' office the moment you get there. Don't worry - everything they do is confidential, and they've seen it all.  And don't wait - the stress of university can exacerbate HA without help. (My sister waited a year to speak to her university counselors about her depression... when she finally went in, she said, "Why didn't I do this sooner?! Last year would've been so much easier!") 

In the meantime, take a look at those CBT links. CBT techniques for health anxiety absolutely work if you're diligent about them. The trick is that you have to remember to do them when you're cycling (worrying)... it's hard, because we tend to get obsessive and can't think about anything else.

So the trick is - when you feel yourself start to worry about a symptom, immediately start doing the techniques. And you repeat them every time you start worrying again. Fairly soon, your mind will build new pathways and you'll start to do the techniques in your head automatically. And then you'll realize that you just don't worry as much or as deeply as you did before.
Bookmark and Share

Online fishmanpa

• Rec's: 22
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2014, 01:37:13 PM »
CBT techniques for health anxiety absolutely work if you're diligent about them. The trick is that you have to remember to do them when you're cycling (worrying)... it's hard, because we tend to get obsessive and can't think about anything else.

So the trick is - when you feel yourself start to worry about a symptom, immediately start doing the techniques. And you repeat them every time you start worrying again. Fairly soon, your mind will build new pathways and you'll start to do the techniques in your head automatically. And then you'll realize that you just don't worry as much or as deeply as you did before.

That's it in a nutshell! I teach guitar. I teach my students that technique is more important than speed or fancy tricks. It's better to play slower with clarity and confidence than sloppy without definition. I tell my students: Practice, practice, practice practice.... And when you think you've practiced enough, practice some more. The key is to "own" it. To make things happen automatically, whether it's a physical or mental task, you have to develop muscle memory. Whether it's your fingers or your brain, it's no different. It doesn't mean you won't make a mistake now and again but even if you do, you'll know exactly why and be able to fix it.

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Tags: