Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: blood test ordered by doctor?!?!  (Read 581 times)

Offline marie204430

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Sad
    Sad
  • Trying to stop this cycle
    • Poke This Member
blood test ordered by doctor?!?!
« on: August 23, 2014, 02:58:15 PM »
And two of the things he's checking for include lymphoma. They also include other things that are less serious including inflammation for infection. Irecently had 4 perfect cbcs?!?!

When I talked to the doctor, he didn't seem concerned at all and said he sees my tiny nodes all the time and it can be a minor viral infection at most. He is checking for:
-wbc differential
-immuno electrophoresis
-protein electrophoresis
-monospot

What does this mean?!?! Does he think I have lymphoma?!?!

Bookmark and Share

Offline pluperfecthell

• May
  • Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • My panic attack is having a panic attack.
    • Poke This Member
Re: blood test ordered by doctor?!?!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 03:05:13 PM »
no, it means he's just checking to reassure you and rule it out. you told him you're scared about it and are concerned about your nodes, right? he just wants to show you it's nothing.

i've had a node behind ear for like 2 years, it's small and moveable and i know plenty of healthy people who have nodes... they can swell and never go back down for like the smallest and dumbest reasons.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marie204430

Sad
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 03:22:03 PM »
You are probably right because ehd did say he saw my nodes all the times and if he thought they were abnormal, he wouldn't say that.
But I researched more and the immouno electrophoresis and protein electrophoresis can also be checked for infections but also leukemia (I don't think I have leukemia so whatever).
I have to wait until Monday to do the test,!!!! I'm panicking!!! I am soooo sure I have lymphoma
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 30
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 04:41:39 PM »
I'm like a lymph node and cyst factory. I have yet to have an MRI or CT scan that doesn't pick up a few small nodes because most people have a few small nodes in their body activated at any given time.

So why is your doctor testing?  I asked my brother-in-law - an amazing GP - this very question once and he said doctors conduct tests for three big reasons: 1) the symptoms or other tests warrant it, 2) the patient seems very concerned, and 3) they could be legally liable if they don't test. 

He said, "I can't feel what a patient is feeling, so I have to trust that what they're describing is real. " The problem is that people with HA tend to be more sensitive than other people - we focus on things that are really just normal body quirks; we get anxious, which causes MORE symptoms, and we tend to inflate the severity of our symptoms when we talk to our doctors (often in hopes that they'll test).

So your doctor isn't testing you because he's seen signs of lymphoma or because he suspects you  have it... he's testing because you're panicking and because he has a legal obligation to.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marie204430

Sad
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 04:53:11 PM »
Thank you for the input. that helps. He's also not my family doctor so he doesn't know I've had so many blood tests already. Perhaps if he did, he wouldnt order them.
He didn't even mention lymphoma until i proposed the idea and even then, he said no you don't, take a deep breath.
He only spoke of viral infections, specifically mono. Can I have mono without a sore throat? I'm a tiny bit weak and tired lately, thought it was anxiety. And I honestly think I'm the one who caused the nodes to swell lol :/
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 05:03:13 PM »
Sure... when I had mono as a teenager, I just felt kind of tired and I'd had a cold a couple of weeks before I was diagnosed. It turned out to be a super mild case of mono that resolved about a week later.

So yes, mono is possible. But more likely is something simple like allergies... they'll make you tired and puff up your nodes a bit.

As for your doc, why didn't you tell him you'd already had blood tests?  Is it because you didn't want him to be influenced by your past results?  That's some hard-core HA.  Yes, your new doc doesn't know you have HA so he's taking everything you're saying seriously. You put lymphoma in his head so now he has to test for it. But you don't have it. 

Bookmark and Share

Offline Gomubukai

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 05:25:18 PM »
Doctors aren't really ALLOWED to say they think you don't have a certain disease for liabilities sake. So he is doing the test for your peace of mind but as another poster said, if he thought you had it. He would have been more concerned.

You should probably have told him you've already had 4 recent blood tests though. He would probably have told you this one isn't really necessary.

I think all of the doctors you've seen have told you in the strongest terms they are ALLOWED to that you don't have lymphoma. If you're looking for a doctor that will say those words exactly - you'll probably be hunting for a while.

They've given you the strongest level of certainty they're allowed to though. Which should give you some relief :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline marie204430

Sad
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 05:29:46 PM »
You're both right..I agree. I wanted to see a new doc to get an unbiased view lol :/
Do you really think he's testing for lymphoma? Becausehe never really said anything until I asked. He only said viral infections are a possibility.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 05:37:08 PM »
'Unbiased view" is HA for "I want more tests." ;-)

He's not testing for lymphoma specifically - he's testing for a wide range of possibilities to cross off the worst-case scenarios. And that's not because he's worried about the worst-case scenarios - he's only testing because he doesn't know you have HA and he's legally required to take you seriously.

I would be willing to bet money on your tests either coming back completely normal or maybe with signs of a mild viral infection.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marie204430

Sad
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 06:00:02 PM »
Lol I guess so :( I see now that I'll never be satisfied, I have to get over this on my own without medical intervention.

And that makes sense, thanjsm if I had lymphoma, or he thought I did, I assume he would order not baccuratebtests like ultrasounds or biopsies immediately rather than a blood test in a few days.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marie204430

Sad
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 06:19:04 PM »
Do u think I should do the blood test or just forget about it?
Bookmark and Share

Offline fishmanpa

• Rec's: 40
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 06:30:35 PM »
Do u think I should do the blood test or just forget about it?

I think you need to do this. If not, you'll be freaking out even more. With it, despite what I believe will be normal tests, you'll be doubting the results but hopefully freaking out less.

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Offline Slangevar

• Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 06:33:23 PM »
My brother-in-law has spotted lymphoma before. He said when they suspect something like that, you get a battery of tests ordered at lightning speed - often same-day.

Now, I want you to think about this in a different way. Imagine one of us was posting this. This person - let's call them HAgirl - has a couple of small, movable lymph nodes that don't really seem to be growing. (One might be sore-ish, but HAgirl has been touching them non-stop.) HAgirl has had multiple blood tests, all of which turned out normal. And every doctor she's seen has said they're fine. Yet HAgirl is convinced she's right (even though she doesn't have a medical degree) and every test and doctor is wrong. 

What would you say to her? I know what the answer is, and that is what you need to say to yourself every time you start worrying. 
Something that also helps me: make two lists. In one column, write a list of probable benign causes for your symptoms (mono, cold, virus, anxiety, allergies, etc.) and then make a second list of all the reasons why you don't have lymphoma (multiple tests have ruled it out, no doctor thinks you have it, no real symptoms) and force yourself to read through them every time you feel nervous.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marie204430

Sad
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 06:40:55 PM »
Thank you both of you. You're right...I kinda regret going today and adding this waiting game. I'm terrified.mbut I guess I'll go.
I'm afraid that they'll turn up position e. Even if they do, I guess they can be other things but I'm still terrified...he kinda rushed me out.
What if all the doctors were wrong?
I know logically they wouldn't be...but somehow I think this is fate, and this is how I will be diagnosed.
Bookmark and Share

Offline fishmanpa

• Rec's: 40
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 06:43:47 PM »
Something that also helps me: make two lists. In one column, write a list of probable benign causes for your symptoms (mono, cold, virus, anxiety, allergies, etc.) and then make a second list of all the reasons why you don't have lymphoma (multiple tests have ruled it out, no doctor thinks you have it, no real symptoms) and force yourself to read through them every time you feel nervous.

Great CBT technique and exercise! It works but you have to practice it as you would any other technique or exercise in order to see the benefits.

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Tags: