Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Pseudomyxoma Peritonei cancer scare? :(  (Read 136 times)

Offline whiteformula98

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Pseudomyxoma Peritonei cancer scare? :(
« on: August 23, 2014, 12:13:16 PM »
I've been dealing with Health Anxiety for almost 2 years now. It wasn't until about 14 months that I started having my stomach/digestive symptoms. I have experienced random aches and pains in my stomach as well as bloating and fullness. My stool has been solid throughout this stomach bout duration with some constipation.  My doctor believes it to be GERD related. The scare I have is that my father had passed away from complications due to this cancer and I am afraid that I may have it. There isn't much information on it because it is rather rare, but in terms of it being hereditary....below is all that I could find on it. Any thought?

Sunday, May 23, 2010 Dr Brian Loggie Answers "Is PMP Hereditary?"
Dr. Brian Loggie Answers Questions: Is “PMP” Hereditary?

Brian W. Loggie, MD, CM, FRCSC, FACS is a Professor of Surgery and is Chief, Division of Surgical Oncology and Director, Cancer Biology Program at Creighton University School of Medicine in Omaha, NE.

Dr. Loggie’s expertise includes the treatment of peritoneal carcinomatosis, peritoneal mesothelioma, pseudomyxoma peritonei and all peritoneal surface malignancies, abdominopelvic and retroperitoneal sarcomas, cutaneous malignant melanoma, sphincter-preserving treatment for rectal tumors, and management of complex primary or recurrent solid tumors.

Dr. Loggie recently answered questions presented by members of the PMP Pals' Network who are concerned about the possibility of hereditary or environmental factors that may possibly be associated with Appendix Cancer/Pseudomyxoma Peritonei.

Is there any evidence that appendiceal cancer/Pseudomyxoma Peritonei, is a hereditary or familial disease?

“We have investigated this issue closely here at Creighton University School of Medicine.Dr Henry Lynch, for whom Lynch Syndrome (familial colorectal cancer) was named, is a colleague and is Chair of Preventive Medicine here in our Hereditary Cancer Center.

To our surprise, we have NOT found a familial association for appendix neoplasms and Pseudomyxoma Peritonei. In fact, we have seen a rate of “familiality” (family history of colon or appendix tumors suggesting an inherited pattern in the family) that is less than expected by one fifth (based on risk from right sided colon cancer: about 1% versus 5%). Overall, I think this is good news for families!”
Bookmark and Share

Offline fishmanpa

• Rec's: 40
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Pseudomyxoma Peritonei cancer scare? :(
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 01:40:26 PM »
I saw your post on another site. It ain't cancer until they say it's cancer. They said it's not cancer.

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 30
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 03:14:46 PM »
It's really common for people with HA to worry about the diseases that claimed loved ones and friends in the past. My dad died of lung cancer, so I've worried about that in the past and cancer in general.

Unfortunately the cancer you're worrying about has symptoms that are really common with anxiety. If you look through past posts, you'll see a ton of people worried about colon cancer, ovaca and other gastro issues because they suddenly have abdominal pains, stool changes, bloating and/or gas.

Fortunately, though, I found this online from a research doctor who studies PMP: "To our surprise, we have NOT found a familial association for appendix neoplasms and Pseudomyxoma Peritonei." My (non-medical) diagnosis: IBS and possible GERD caused by anxiety. Fix the anxiety and exercise and I'll bet your issues will go away.
Bookmark and Share

Offline whiteformula98

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 03:40:13 PM »
Thanks for the response Slangevar. I workout 4 times a week, have been since I turned 14 (now 27). It's just the anxiety I need to fix. Lifting takes my mind off of it for a couple hours.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 30
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 05:07:16 PM »
Are you doing any aerobic activity?  Or yoga?  Both of those work better for me than weights. Basically if I don't get my heart rate up and sweat for at least 30 minutes, 4 times a week, I'm a crazy person.

Good luck with the anxiety - if you can't get a handle on it yourself, cognitive behavioral therapy can be really helpful. I recommend trying everything from meditation to therapy before you jump into meds - they just cause more symptoms in most people.

Bookmark and Share

Tags: