Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: ALS Hysteria  (Read 307 times)

Offline ColdHands

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Warm heart, strong mind, struggling liver
    • Poke This Member
ALS Hysteria
« on: August 23, 2014, 10:45:36 AM »
I knew this ice bucket challenge would have the reverse effect on people with Health Anxiety.  Things like this have a tendency to make us go into hysteria.  Try not to focus on the fact that YOU might have this and focus on the people that ACTUALLY have it.

These people suffer in silence most of the time, because their disease forces them to stay at home, with their overworked caregivers, and not go out for "runs" or "challenges" like those with say, cancer or some other things can do.

Don't obsess about ALS for the wrong reasons.  These folks need our support.  Its the cruelest way to die I've every seen.
Bookmark and Share
"There is just one more thing that bothers me."  Columbo

Offline TyeDyedButterfly

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: ALS Hysteria
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 11:05:20 AM »
ColdHands,
It sure has wow !!

I can not believe the people arguing over it either some believe that the ice bucket challenge is a way of getting out of donating but they don't get how much money has been raised to help in the research and then there are people who are mad because they are saying that research is using fetuses from abortions also they don't like the stem cell research and boycotting helping .

Then I do see it on this site even more now about ALS and it is scaring people into believing they have it or may get it well I know people with it and it is horrible and so hard but the people I know keep on living and doing all they can and don't set and dwell about it they are living in misery but they still have a sense of humor and such strength it makes me ashamed of myself . I have no fears about Als or Ms or a lot of other things because I already have Health Problems and then the Mental Health . 

I wish people wouldn't argue over this or believe they have it also and like you said show support and help with the cure.
I believe in donating to finding a cure for so many illnesses and there are 1000's but if we start with just one it will make a difference and those that believe ALS is using the money in a wrong way need to do their research about it all. 

Thanks for your post.
Peace
Tye
Bookmark and Share
PEACE, LOVE AND HAPPINESS !

God is Good all the Time! All the Time God is Good! :)

Offline fishmanpa

• Rec's: 22
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 02:19:45 PM »
This time last year the ALS charities had raised about $25K. This year try over $1.5 million. Ice bucket away people!

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Offline Gomubukai

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 07:42:16 PM »
I agree!

Of course, I can see why more of us HA people are anxious with it being in the spotlight right now. All of the people who are affected by this disease are coming forward to tell their stories and it makes it seem much more common than it really is. Which is of course going to freak out our community.

BUT, as we all know, being afraid of a disease doesn't mean we're going to get it.

So my solution to help is donate if you can, as one of the sufferers said, this disease isn't incurable - it's drastically underfunded.

Big pharmaceuticals don't make any money funding research into such a rare disease, so it's up to all of us to help where we can. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline yesyesno

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 08:29:47 PM »
That's my problem.  I used to come on here and read all about the statistics saying how rare the disease is.  But now, it's like I hear 2 new stories everyday.  I realize I know people who know people who have had it.  I keep having to remind myself of those statistics and realize that obviously the challenge and the media spotlight on the challenge is going to produce the people who have been afflicted with the terrible disease. 

But again, this is MY problem, which pales in comparison.  And I love this challenge.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ColdHands

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Warm heart, strong mind, struggling liver
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 08:28:31 AM »
statistics are still very low on the people that have it.  I know two people, on probably (mayo clinic said my mom had Multiple Systems Atrophy--very similar but not ALS) and someone in my community, much younger that had this.

Doesn't mean that I worry I will get it.  I'm much more worried that I will get something my mom had, as I already have one thing she had already. 
Bookmark and Share
"There is just one more thing that bothers me."  Columbo

Tags:

anything