Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: CT Reassurance  (Read 191 times)

Offline rileybug

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
CT Reassurance
« on: August 22, 2014, 08:39:27 PM »
Has anyone had a CT and gotton reassurance that theres no cancer?  Just wondering if it helps convinceing anyone thats its HA not cancer.  Any feedback or comments on this?
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: CT Reassurance
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 09:29:26 PM »
No I have not. And I would not recommend it.

1) CT scan is not a cheap test. Even if it's not an undue financial burden to you personally, ordering medically unnecessary testing drives up the cost of healthcare. The more expensive healthcare is, the more difficult it will be to access appropriate medical care.

2) CT scan is not a benign test. You are exposed to significant amounts of radiation which can increase your risk of cancer.

3) Diagnostic testing does not replace the analytic reasoning and therapeutic relationship  you get from a well trained competent medical practitioner. You will gain more for your health in that medical relationship if you can trust it than you can from more tests.

4) Temporary reassurance does not successfully manage an anxiety disorder, it digs you deeper in. At the heart of anxiety we all want that reassurance. We cannot, at the end of the day, really have that reassurance because life is wild and life is unexpected. It is about learning to accept uncertainty. It is not easy. But it is important.

Best of luck to you
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 07:27:00 AM »
No I have not. And I would not recommend it.

1) CT scan is not a cheap test. Even if it's not an undue financial burden to you personally, ordering medically unnecessary testing drives up the cost of healthcare. The more expensive healthcare is, the more difficult it will be to access appropriate medical care.

2) CT scan is not a benign test. You are exposed to significant amounts of radiation which can increase your risk of cancer.

3) Diagnostic testing does not replace the analytic reasoning and therapeutic relationship  you get from a well trained competent medical practitioner. You will gain more for your health in that medical relationship if you can trust it than you can from more tests.

4) Temporary reassurance does not successfully manage an anxiety disorder, it digs you deeper in. At the heart of anxiety we all want that reassurance. We cannot, at the end of the day, really have that reassurance because life is wild and life is unexpected. It is about learning to accept uncertainty. It is not easy. But it is important.

Best of luck to you

excellent advice!!!

Reassurance medical testing will not give you lasting solace.  It is not a valid coping mechanism. What will happen with the ct scan will be 1. you will out right discount the validity of the test or 2.  you will simply move onto the next disease fear not covered by the previous test.    You can see evidence of these two things daily on the posts on this forum.     and besides the two things above:  While ct scan is an excellent diagnostic test and, when medically necessary, should not be avoided, having them "just because" opens you up to unnecessary radiation.   One ct scan isn't going to have you glowing or increase your cancer risk by some HUGE percent or raise it at all.  BUT,  once you do it one time for 'reassurance", your anxious thinking will come up with other reasons to do it again and again.  At some point you will be panicking about how foolish you were for allowing your fears to open you up to the radiation and you will be a wreck believing you are for sure going to get cancer now.

Have there been people who have done it?  Yes.    Is it a good idea or even helpful?  No.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline fishmanpa

• Rec's: 22
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 08:21:02 AM »
Let me tell you a story.... True one at that...

On another forum, I read of a guy who has had lymphoma fears for at least 7 years. Upon reviewing the post history, there were no less than 4 CT scans, a couple of MRI's, x-rays and a plethora of blood tests. This person, poked and prodded to the point that nodes in his groin were permanently swollen. Of course, the swollen nodes had to be cancer. It had nothing to do with the constant poking and prodding over the years.

Finally, after doctor hopping for a bit, he convinced a doctor to perform a biopsy of the swollen nodes in his groin. We're talking about an invasive procedure done under general anesthesia! He posted constantly on the forum, worried that the incision was infected, and every little ache and pain associated with the surgery was sinister. Well, guess what? The nodes were fine. NOTHING! No cancer.

But that didn't end the worry and anxiety. He was back on the forum worried that they missed something and imaginary nodes began popping up in his neck again. Once you start that cycle of reassurance testing, it just keeps going. It has to stop somewhere, sometime.

The CT will show if there's anything going on. The key is to BELIEVE IT! When you get the all clear, speak to your doctor about treating the real illness. Ask for a referral and begin the healing process.

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Offline Masond_06

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 03:04:48 PM »
I just posted something kind of similar to this. Just questioned how many had a ct because of things they think is going on because of anxiety. I had about 4 head cts and maybe 4 or 5 abdominal cts. 2 of the head ones can kind of be excused as I did have concussions. The abdominal ones were doing in the ER. Which being an ER doctor sucks in a since because the y don't know really the history of the patient so a ct is easiest to find things out. I was never told anything about risks of a ct. It does increase you cancer risk. Not significantly but it does. I can tell you from my experience that it doesn't take the anxiety away. There is always going to be something there questioning the rest results, the doctors, etc. I've had them and still think I have something. Plus being as worrisome as I am I sometimes now worry about all the tests I've had and what problems they will cause me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 29
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 05:17:54 PM »
I've had three CT scans - abdominal, chest & sinus.  None showed cancer.

A sinus CT scan is no big deal - less radiation than a mammogram, and it took three doctors pushing for the abdominal CT before I finally agreed. But I seriously regret the chest CT scan. I got it eight years ago to reassure myself. Sure, it reassured me for a year or so, but now it's out of date and I'm stuck with ongoing radiation concerns.

If you have to push for a test, I like MRIs, sonograms and simple, low-dose X-rays. Do not get a CT scan unless your doctor genuinely thinks it's necessary (not just because you've convinced him or her that you might need it). 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: