Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Anyone else taken this?  (Read 215 times)

Offline BriR

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anyone else taken this?
« on: August 22, 2014, 07:14:42 PM »
Anyone else taken the medication remeron? My doctor wants me to start taking it. Supposedly it will settle my stomach down, increase my appetite and make me fall asleep faster? I do not want to take it but she really really wants me to take it because apperantly it'll help me?
I dont want to feel even more sick to my stomach, and I dont want any of the side effects? She's making me take it even though im hestitant to do so since My stomach has been feeling yucky these past few days
Anyone have any experience with this medication? Did it work? Please let me know!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anyone else taken this?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 07:23:25 PM »
My psychiatrist has seen patients have good results with this medication. I took one dose last month.....let's just say that's all I could take, I did not have a positive experience with it.  of course you'll hear good and bad experiences with just about every med out there. If you do decide to take it, consider starting at a half dose which can help minimize start up side effects. But don't  feel pressured if you're really not comfortable with the plan. Best of luck to you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline brittanyborg

• Rec's: 7
    Scared
  • Struggling to find myself again
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 07:45:43 PM »
My boyfriend just started on this medication last week. For depression/anxiety and also to help him get to sleep at night. He hasn't seen any changes yet but it can take awhile to fully start working I think. I'll try my best to keep you updated on his situation!
Bookmark and Share
  • I don't know a perfect person, I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
  • "Storms make trees take deeper roots"

Offline BriR

Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 08:03:25 PM »
My psychiatrist has seen patients have good results with this medication. I took one dose last month.....let's just say that's all I could take, I did not have a positive experience with it.  of course you'll hear good and bad experiences with just about every med out there. If you do decide to take it, consider starting at a half dose which can help minimize start up side effects. But don't  feel pressured if you're really not comfortable with the plan. Best of luck to you.

Did you start having side effects if so what were they, or did it not work at all?
Bookmark and Share

Offline BriR

Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 08:04:33 PM »
My boyfriend just started on this medication last week. For depression/anxiety and also to help him get to sleep at night. He hasn't seen any changes yet but it can take awhile to fully start working I think. I'll try my best to keep you updated on his situation!

Yea please let me know, i really dont want to start it as it might give me side effects i dont want :( i rather tough it out and somehow get better without any medication.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 09:23:04 PM »
Bri, I don't want to scare you, but it didn't agree with my system at all. I was completely zonked out exhausted within a half hour of taking it which my psychiatrist warned me about so that was fine. I slept ten hours and still woke really groggy......but again that wasn't the deal breaker.

I had some skin numbness, which I've experienced both during significant anxiety and as med side effect before (zoloft).. The big problem was I felt very flat, very out of it. I could barely function socially. I never thought flatness and rage could coexist, but I'd get these short but intense moments of extreme irritability. I felt so empty that I would eat to try to fill up the emptiness, yet my taste sensation was kind of numb too,so the food wasn't particularly enjoyable.

My husband and I both agreed that one day of that was plenty enough. I'm on prozac 20 mg as well , remeron was an add-on, so I determined rather than adjust my med I'd stick with where i was at for now
Bookmark and Share

Online Rasalhauge

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 09:25:10 PM »
I was on remeron for close to a year, to me it worked wonders at the time. It helped me with both the anxiety, insomnia and maybe most importantly my OCD. Sure, some people experience bothersome side-effects, but overall remeron seems to be pretty tolerable for most people. I can compare remeron to a quite significant amount of antidepressants,  and in my opinion remeron is definitely one of the better depression/anxiety meds.

If you experience side-effects, which you most likely will no matter what meds you take, rest assured that no permanent side-effects has been noted from remeron use.

The only side-effect I experienced initially was tremors in the hand, and some nausea, but they quickly subsided. Overall, I think it's a great med. It had almost the same effect on me as chlomipramin did, but with 70% less side-effects
Bookmark and Share
“There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy.”

- Dante Alighieri

Offline BriR

Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 10:28:34 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys! I dont think I'm going to take it, as I'm pretty sure my doctor wants me to take it so i can gain weight since I lost a lot of it. But I can honestly do that by myself. Now as for the stomach problems she said it would calm my stomach down? What do you guys think of that? I think its highly unlikely it will. My psychiatrist also said it would make me sleepy, thats all they didnt mention any other side effects I think they didnt want to scare me. I know every medication out there for anxiety/depression is going to have side effects but i want to start out with something that wont aggravate me as much? Ugh  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 19
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 10:51:19 PM »
FWIW -I have taken Remeron (Mirtazapine) twice.

I have also taken about 10+ over the last 25 years - in the AD – SSRI – SNRI – Atypical AD - medication class.

What are your three main concerns or fears regarding these medication - I can share my experiences with you, if you are interested  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline BriR

Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 11:19:25 PM »

I have also taken about 10+ over the last 25 years - in the AD – SSRI – SNRI – Atypical AD - medication class.

What are your three main concerns or fears regarding these medication - I can share my experiences with you, if you are interested  :action-smiley-065:

Yes I am interested my fears are, Basically nausea and vomiting, and tiredness
Bookmark and Share

Offline Trinalisa

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 11:20:20 PM »
I've taken remeron. It was great for helping me sleep and it did increase my appetite. I personally did not experience negative side effects with this med. It is different for everyone, though.
Bookmark and Share
What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Never-Quit

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 03:02:17 AM »

Yes I am interested my fears are, Basically nausea and vomiting, and tiredness

Unfortunately Remeron and every AD/SSRI/SNRI I have used ALL have some of these side effects. 

Especially nausea and tiredness, are common temporary side effects of almost all these types of mediations.   :P

If you are not comfortable with tolerating these temporary side effects for about 2 weeks, I would not recommend that you start any of these AD type medication.

Even then, everyone is going to react differently to each medication.  So, you really won't know - until you actually try it...

But, If I were to try one with fewest side effects and easiest to take IME - hands down, it would be Celexa.   :yes:

Hope this helps..

Bookmark and Share

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline raggamuffin

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 03:09:45 AM »
I took it as I didn't do well with SSRI's. It didn't help with my anxiety or depression. It will certainly help with appetite - honestly a lot of people seem to eat constantly. So watch what you eat because I put on 1.5 stone and only lost 0.5 of that when I came off Remeron. Tapering off it was very difficult. As for sleep? Yes you will often feel very drowsy and tired on this medication. I've slept 18 hours in a day on Remeron. But it also makes sleep very hard when you come off it.

Ed
Bookmark and Share
Feel free to add me on the book of faces - "Ed Raggamuffin Foulds"

Offline lmcc87

• Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 10:58:30 AM »
I was put on 7.5 mg as an add on with lexapro, apparently it has excellent results if you can get past the first few weeks if taking it and it's side effects. The first night I was knocked out for 16 hours so halved the dosage again to 3.75 and the side effects were still too strong. I had 0 energy, zonked, weird leg sensations and I was so sensitive to any sort of raised noise. My muscles would over react if I heard a certain noise. It was very weird. The side effects were too much to want to give it a try.
Bookmark and Share
If I take death into my life, acknowledge it, and face it squarely, I will free myself from the anxiety of death and the pettiness of life - and only then will I be free to become myself.

Offline Never-Quit

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 01:30:20 PM »
I was thinking.... After seeing some of your older posts.

Since u are seeing a psychiatrist -  HA ... Stomach Issues , anxiety  which I  also struggled with ...

IME - can quickly be handled by a different class of medications - called benzodiazepines.  Ask your Psychiatrist if that is something that would be right for you.

It has none of the bigger side effects - Initially the main side effect -is drowsiness... Much like an antihistamine would have.  But - No nausea, No vomiting, and the other troublesome side effects of Remeron.  And you won't have to wait 4-8 weeks like AD meds.  On a daily dosage of about week ... You will feel the lifting of anxiety and your appetite will quickly return to a normal healthy levels...
Of course all BZD and AD meds will have to be weaned off safely with your Dr. help.

What worked best for me as far BZD - is Diazepam due to the long half life - you can take it 2x a day and maybe like I do, take it 1x day before bed.

Of all the BDZ - I have used:  Xanax, Lorazepam, Klonopin - Diazepam is the mildest and the easiest to taper off if used for longer periods of times.

I am personally on Both - An AD and BZD for over 10 years with excellent results.  Prozac 40 mg. And Diazepam 10 mg before bed.

Again - speak with your Psychiatrist if BZD are appropriate for you.

Hope this additional information helps....

Good luck and feel free to ask me any questions or concerns. :action-smiley-065:

Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything