Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: not getting outside and anxiety  (Read 199 times)

Offline jasn88cubs

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
not getting outside and anxiety
« on: August 22, 2014, 06:29:16 PM »
can not getting outside in sunlight reignite anxiety?
Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

• Rec's: 57
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: not getting outside and anxiety
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 11:06:09 PM »
Personally, I don't think sunlight would reignite anxiety but perhaps you might have an unrecognized issue around depression/anxiety that may make it uncomfortable for you to go outside of your home . . . . we all have our comfort zones, but with anxiety or depression, often we feel the "safest" inside and at home . . . you might benefit from some professional intervention to help you to determine the reason behind your preference for staying inside and/or at home . . . doing this can indeed, from my perspective, reignite anxiety because it limits our contact with other people and situations and unconsciously reinforces the anxiety . . . let us know how you are doing and I might suggest that, in any case, you keep a journal as to why you are tending not to go outside  . . .take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Offline jasn88cubs

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 03:22:58 PM »
i feel like if you dont go out enough you will get anxiety
Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 05:25:11 AM »
Well, I think that you are right . . . if you don't go out, then there is a tendency to become wrapped up in a very limiting world so that when you do go out, that change can provoke anxiety because a person will undergo change and potentially be overwhelmed by the experience of interacting with the outside world. In addition, and this depends on your definition of going out, there has been some very strong research to suggest that if we do not get enough direct sunlight and get natural Vitamin D, this also can add to anxiety.

I guess that it would depend on the reasons why a person would not want to go out . . . is it a fear of something? is it a desire to be just self-involved because of an experience? A lot of what does or does not cause anxiety is whether the action provokes physical symptoms and our motivations in making decisions and whether these motivations point to some unresolved triggers . . . being more comfortable staying by oneself and indoors, for example, may point to agoraphobia which, in turn, may be a symptom of anxiety . . . we are individuals and are unique so one explanation does not necessarily fit us all . . . and anxiety, even though many of us have it, is often unique to our contexts . . . sorry I could not be of more help . . .take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 10:14:05 AM »
I have totally found that if I don't go outside every day, it depresses me, makes me anxious.
As soon as I walk out, I feel part of the world, I feel the fresh air.  I'm happier.

I would make the effort to go outside at least once a day.  Even just a walk around the block, or to get a cup of coffee.
I find it invigorating.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jasn88cubs

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 08:59:38 PM »
i just have nothing to do outside lol
Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 08:16:31 AM »
it is not so much that you "have to have something to do outside", but the act itself that is helpful . . . Go outside because you are going to take a walk . . . it might only be 5 minutes in one direction and then 5 minutes back several times a day or building up to longer walks . . . is there a public library nearby? make it a point to go there and randomly take one book off the shelf and be with that book for 5 minutes to learn something new . . . I know, the first reaction might be but why do it . . . the act has no purpose . . . but the act has a purpose which is getting you out . . .. this simple act will not change you overnight because change is a process but little acts build into change . . .so, if for no other reason, get out as a preventive measure against anxiety and who knows . . . you may come to enjoy it . . . .I know I did . . . . but it takes doing to get the desired effect . . . .let us know how things are going for you .  .take cae, kc
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 08:42:52 AM »
Going for a walk is often a highlight of my day. However I may feel inside, going outside makes it better. The air, sky, clouds, trees, bushes, flowers, smell of cut grass, birds, etc. all give me a connection to nature that is refreshing and often invigorating. That is purpose enough.

It is a great gift just to be able to walk in peace, without fear, exercise the body and return enlivened. Much to be thankful for.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxan11

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 01:15:21 PM »
going outside for walks use to be the highlight of my day as well.

up until i left the house for a "power walk" because I was mad at everybody in my life. i got around the corner and couldn't take another step. i had to sit down on the ground and try and "ride it out", but my heart just kept pounding harder and harder. i'm sure it went up to 150 bpm when i was sitting there. cars were passing me, but nobody would help. i actually asked a woman who was standing on the corner for help to my house, which was just down the street, but she wouldn't help me. finally, a man that i asked 10 minutes earlier was driving past and "took a chance". he helped me in his car and drove all of 10 seconds to get me to my house where my lisinopril and atenolol were waiting. it took a week for me to "recover". my chest had a raw feeling inside for almost every heart beat. i'm pretty scared to go out now, but my i had a pretty bad attack about two weeks after that. and now i have a faint pulse
Bookmark and Share

Offline jasn88cubs

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 04:20:16 PM »
i think you guysare right  ill get more sunlight
Bookmark and Share

Tags: