Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Real nausea or anxiety nausea?  (Read 316 times)

Offline emmmmaaaa

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
Real nausea or anxiety nausea?
« on: August 22, 2014, 11:50:29 AM »
Hi! I'm feeling very anxious right now, as I've been nauseous with little appetite for about 3 days now. I feel fine besides the nausea, and I don't have any fever (that I know of), any other gastrointestinal issues, or a headache or anything else that would be indicitave of a sickness. It's kind of just a gross feeling in my throat and it kind of feels like I have to gag. I ate breakfast this morning and didn't really have any issues, but now I just feel kind of gross. My throat feels really strange, and it feels like if I move too much, I'll gag. I don't necessarily have a churning stomach and my stomach doesn't really hurt, but I keep getting these thoughts that are telling me that I'm really sick, and that I'm going to throw up, and it's making me panic, as I feel like I have no control over whether I do or do not vomit. I know the main difference between the stomach flu and anxiety nausea is the ability to eat/be around food, but I'm not sure whether or not I could stomach anything besides saltines or pretzels, which may just be in my head, but it feels real. I really want to take another pepto bismol (I took one this morning) but I'm afraid to take it as two weeks ago, I actually had an episode of tetany (I believe my doctor said it was called a distonic reaction) as a result of taking too many pepto at a concert. (I was really anxious so I was nauseous, so I took 5 throughout the day on virtually an empty stomach and little hydration) I'm drinking sprite and chewing mint gum, but I still feel kind of odd. Does anyone ever feel like this with anxiety, or does it sound like the stomach flu? Is there anything I can do to remedy this, as I have another concert to go to tomorrow :( Thank you!! :)
Bookmark and Share
OCD // Emetephobia // Hypochondria //

Online mydogisnamedslippy

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh
    • Poke This Member
Re: Real nausea or anxiety nausea?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 02:03:31 PM »
Hey!

Honestly i think this sounds like anxiety. I totally know what you mean by nausea in the throat. Its so classic. For me at least. I've tried to explain it to other people, to be like, "i'm nauseous but its not in my stomach, its in my throat" but no one ever knows WTF im talking about. Also, i don't really think the food thing is a litmus at all for this. Because you DO feel nauseous. And any time you feel nauseous you don't want to be around food--even if its just weird perceived nausea.

My advice would be to drink some ginger tea. I find that helps sometimes. Also, the chewing gum is a good idea as well.
Bookmark and Share

Offline yesyesno

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 03:50:35 PM »
Amazing.  I had a nauseous feeling in my throat for some time.  I thought for sure it was true nausea caused by a physical ailment especially because mine usually followed a horrible taste in my mouth.  Even my doctor looked at me like I was an alien when I told her my stomach felt fine but it was in my throat.  It has subsided for the most part.  Good to see others can relate and it's an anxiety symptom.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 04:17:15 PM »
I get that and so does my daughter!  She'll tell me, "I feel nauseous in my throat but not my stomach".  True sickness would be in your stomach (well even THAT can be anxiety, but I mean that other kind is NEVER indicative of sickness.)  Don't take any medication for it because it's not your stomach.  Do the heavy stomach test - lay down, then stand up and see if you stomach feels like there is lead in it - if it's normal or light then you are 100% fine.  (I do that all the time because I too fear throwing up more than death! :sprachlos020:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline cali4niay

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 11:14:55 PM »
I struggle with this so much. Sometimes I dry heave because I'm convinced I'm sick and nothing comes it.

Right now I feel like I have a lump in my throat and need to burp. I'm so nauseous.

This cycle is exhausting.
Bookmark and Share

Offline dee_tee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 02:49:29 PM »
cali4niay - how have you been doing with this nausea. I've been experiencing this exact same thing for 3 days now and it's really concerning me!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Courtney09011

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 02:55:57 PM »
I was in the hospital about a week ago as a result of this very thing! I was so throat nauseous that I could not eat and after days and days without eating or drinking much I passed out! This came right after I started (and still have) having a horrible bout with anxiety. So yes it very much can be anxiety!  I have to force myself to eat even if I gag all the way through the meal! Once it hits my stomach I'm fine!
Bookmark and Share
i understand your anxiety! I've been there and am there right now! Feel free to PM me if you need someone who understands!

Offline dee_tee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 03:11:16 PM »
It is just scaring me so badly that I keep having all of these symptoms. I am EXHASTED from all of this and I cannot focus :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline cali4niay

Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 03:12:58 PM »
cali4niay - how have you been doing with this nausea. I've been experiencing this exact same thing for 3 days now and it's really concerning me!

I'm better, thank you for asking. I've had high's and low's, of course but overall I'm better.

I've found that eating lil' meals is much better for the tummy. I also take a very tiny swig of pepto bismal in the morning and before I go to bed. It's a mental thing more than anything else.

I've also discovered that cream cheese really messes me up. I think with all of my anxiety and all that acidity, cream cheese really upsets my tummy.

I also ordered products called Gastromycin and Mastic Gum and those have helped me tremendously. I also take, throughout the day, herbal supplements that calm the nerves: lemon balm 2x's a day, ashwagandha 2x's a day, rhodiola rosea 1x in the morning and valeria root and a magnesium/melatonin combo at night.
Each day has been pretty good since I started taking those.

At the end of August, I was pretty bad. Dry heaving a lot, but nothing coming out. I was really getting depressed.

Even now that I'm better, there are still days that are difficult. Sometimes I feel perfectly fine after I eat and I'm self-aware of that, so I'll think oh I feel good and I'm not sick...what if I start to feel sick? Then boom, there it is and i have to white knuckle through it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline dee_tee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 03:19:46 PM »
cali4niay (i also am from cali!) - you mentioned herbal supplements. Do you think those help out a lot? I am having chronic anxiety that will not let up and I'm at a loss of what to do......I don't really want to take medication so I was interested in herbal supplements. How long before you noticed it working?
Bookmark and Share

Offline cali4niay

Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 03:31:13 PM »
Personally, I'm a big believer in herbal supplements because I've seen them change my labs for the better- even w/o changing my diet and having the same (if not more level) of anxiety.

It took a week or so, but I also had to work on my frame of mind. Maybe it's just a placebo effect but it does work for me.
When I was taking the Gastromycin and Mastic Gum by themselves, they helped but I was still nauseous and dry heaving occasionally...adding the herbs that were geared towards my anxiety, helped.

In the mean time, I really worked on positive thinking and deep breathing exercises.

I can't eat huge meals, but that's a good thing. I'm not as bad off as I was. That was depressing for a while.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 05:10:00 PM »
I was in the hospital about a week ago as a result of this very thing! I was so throat nauseous that I could not eat and after days and days without eating or drinking much I passed out! This came right after I started (and still have) having a horrible bout with anxiety. So yes it very much can be anxiety!  I have to force myself to eat even if I gag all the way through the meal! Once it hits my stomach I'm fine!

I didn't go into a hospital, but the EXACT thing happened to me 10 years ago due to AWFUL anxiety!!  I went from 137 pounds to 111 pounds in ONE MONTH!   I couldn't eat anything and I got to a point that I was only laying in bed because if I moved I'd gag!  It was so horrible!!   I went to one of those walk in clinics and was told I HAD to eat, at least start with gatorade and suck on popsicles.  That really helped because my electrolytes were so low they said!  Then I was able to eat a little chicken leg and that was the beginning of my recovery.   Anxiety can really do a number on our bodies, can't it?
Bookmark and Share

Offline cali4niay

Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 05:15:26 PM »

I didn't go into a hospital, but the EXACT thing happened to me 10 years ago due to AWFUL anxiety!!  I went from 137 pounds to 111 pounds in ONE MONTH!   I couldn't eat anything and I got to a point that I was only laying in bed because if I moved I'd gag!  It was so horrible!!   I went to one of those walk in clinics and was told I HAD to eat, at least start with gatorade and suck on popsicles.  That really helped because my electrolytes were so low they said!  Then I was able to eat a little chicken leg and that was the beginning of my recovery.   Anxiety can really do a number on our bodies, can't it?

Yes! And you make good points. Once you get the nausea bug because of anxiety, you really have to take baby steps towards eating again. Start with something small and make a positive association w/food again. It's taken a while but it's nice to actually crave something now. Start small, eating more smaller meals a day, and be positive.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: