Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Any suggestions for tightness in throat?  (Read 215 times)

Offline tinymonkey

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Any suggestions for tightness in throat?
« on: August 22, 2014, 11:03:40 AM »
Hi I work in a public library. I have had panic disorder since the age of 10. I am now 43. My most recent panic attacks are coming at work especially while trying to talk to patrons or when I know I have to go to the service desk and answer questions. My first symptom is a tight throat that then sends me into panic with sweating hands and racing heart. I then have to leave the desk and run for my salt to stop the gagging. I know this is totally strange but I am so scared when it happens and also very humiliated. Does anyone know any tricks to calm the throat in a social situation or just anytime? Thanks for reading
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 22
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
Re: Any suggestions for tightness in throat?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 02:17:31 PM »
Since this is an anxiety driven problem that is common - have you seen a doctor / Psychiatrist for possible long term solutions?

In meantime, I saw an article on this a while back....

A persistent or intermittent lump in your throat ( Globus Hystericus ) is the technical jargon for it.

I noticed some exercise to loosen the muscles around the throat area, I have never done them - so I don't know if they personally work.

But, you may want to give it a try:

Globus Hystericus Exercise

Step 1
Find a quiet place to be. Now, take a warm flannel or face-cloth and hold it against your throat and neck for a minute. DON'T burn your skin with scalding hot water.

Step 2
Now, take the flannel away. Stand upright with your back against a wall or sit on a stool so that your back is straight. Tilt your head back as far as it will comfortably go so that you can feel a stretch in your throat – you will now be looking up towards the ceiling. Hold this for five seconds.

Step 3
Now, slowly roll your head to the left and then to the right, still maintaining the stretch in your throat. Take 5 seconds to complete one complete left to right roll. Do this 10 times.

Step 4
Now, place your hand on your throat at the position where it meets your chest and locate the two 'stringy' muscles which run down each side of your adams apple and disappear behind your chest bones. Now, using one or two hands, firmly (but make sure it is comfortable), massage those muscles LENGTHWAYS, massaging out any tension. Do this for 2 minutes.

Step 5
If you detect any more tense muscles in the neck, either side of the windpipe, just give them a massage to release them.

STEP 6

Now go back to doing the head rolls for a further 5 repetitions and relax.
Sit still for a few minutes to allow your muscles to relax. Slowly get up and walk around.
Now, this may not have an immediate effect, but doing it regularly throughout the day can have a dramatic effect.

Again, this is just an article - it requires no medication, so you might want to give it a try and let us know how it worked for you

:action-smiley-065:

If this doesn't help, the long term plan would be to see your doctor for anxiety or panic disorder and create an action plan with your Dr.

Let us know your progress  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline tinymonkey

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 02:44:35 PM »
Thank you very much. I will certainly give that a try. I am seeing a psychiatrist now who has put me on Klonopin, Phenagren and Prozac. It is helping but I don't like to use the anti anxiety drugs for very long. I saw a CBT therapist who helped me overcome panic. I seem to have lost touch with the "allowing" he taught me do which helped so much. It's very hard for me to "allow" when I'm tying so hard not to gag in front of someone. 
Anyway I will let you know how the tip works. Thanks again so much!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 22
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 03:14:28 PM »
How long have you been on Prozac and Klonopin and what dosages did your Dr.   placed u on.

I had the same type of panic disorders in dealing with the public.

I have used both of these medications with excellent results - once my doctor finally had me on the right dosages for me.

Feel free to contact me if u have any questions or concerns... That I might to be able to provide any insights.
 :action-smiley-065:

Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline Lisa45

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 05:17:21 AM »
I have had this happen before. I have panic disorder and asthma, and sometimes the two combined will make me feel like my throat is tight, and will sometimes lead to even coughing and choking, or even gagging. How embarrassing it is. I think my allergies have a role in it, so for me, ice cold water and a cough drop help me to feel like I can breathe OK - an assurance you need at a time like that. For me, sometimes a real symptom (like asthma symptoms) can lead to even worse symptoms because I panic about them. Throat gets tight, but I'm OK. I then panic, and it gets even tighter, then I'm not sure I'm OK at all. It's awful.

I have read the other replies, and they are superb. I can't add to that, but I can share my personal experience. Usually once I cough a bit, my muscles relax.

I also massage my shoulders and neck, and try to relax. It's so hard to do, but the massage does help.

Take care!
Bookmark and Share

Offline lonelyflower

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 05:26:10 AM »
The tightness you mention, is it like someone is pressing on your throat? Recently iv been getting the feeling that my throat is being squeezed and it feels I have a lump in my oesophagus.. It seems to happen when I get anxious. I also have panic attacks but I have been trying to fight them and now my anxiety seems to be showing through this tight throat.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: