Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Leukemia/Lymphoma question  (Read 201 times)

Online playmaker093

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Leukemia/Lymphoma question
« on: August 21, 2014, 09:18:40 PM »
Would Leukemia or Lymphoma present with a fever?  I've had pressure in the right side of my stomach/hip for like a week now.  Before that I had headaches and neck pain and back pain.  The thing that works against me with doctors is I don't look sick at all. 
Bookmark and Share

Online fishmanpa

• Rec's: 31
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Leukemia/Lymphoma question
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 09:29:30 PM »
I didn't "look" ill when my cancer started but I had obvious symptoms (obvious swollen painless node) that raised red flags. if doctors used appearance as a diagnosis tool, they wouldn't be doctors. If tests and exams show no physical illness, it leaves the obvious.

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Online playmaker093

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 09:44:38 PM »
What did you have?
Bookmark and Share

Online fishmanpa

• Rec's: 31
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 11:01:53 PM »
What did you have?

Squamous Cell Carcinoma - Head and Neck - Official diagnosis SCC Tx N2b MO Stage IV HPV+ . Selective neck dissection, 6 weeks chemo/rads. 15 months NED.

So when I see node posts I know what sounds sinister and what doesn't. I'm not a doctor but I've spent some time on anxiety boards because I saw so many come onto the cancer boards that obviously didn't have cancer and posted similar things. I WISH I got as many clean reports and those do here. I would have been jumping for joy. But no... There's doubt and an obsession that makes it appear that the poster almost wants it to be cancer. I can assure you, based my experience, it's the last thing you want. Next to bone cancer, treatment for SCC is the worst!

I don't believe, based on what you posted, you have anything other than anxiety or perhaps a bug that's creating some havoc. I had a swollen node for months and it grew. That's what cancer is. An uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It doesn't come and go nor start in a week. and you don't have to dig for a node. It's obvious.

IMO... Your doctors aren't dismissing you because you don't "look" sick, it's because you "aren't" sick.

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Online playmaker093

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 11:08:27 PM »
I really appreciate your feedback. I have had some somewhat swollen nodes but like you said I have to dig for them.  I just have generally felt ill for over a year and this new spleen stomach discomfort is new and I fear Leukemia.
Bookmark and Share

Online marie204430

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Sad
    Sad
  • Trying to stop this cycle
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 11:12:50 PM »
If you had leukemia, you would know. People feel like utter crap when they have it. And not just anxiety crap, AWFUL. Plus if you've had a blood test any time recently, you are 99.9% clear from leukemia. Leukemia patients have off the charts blood work.

Lymphoma tends to have off blood work as well. I was and still am slightly worried about lymphoma too (despite being dismissed by several doctors and blood work) and they all told me that 1) they can tell cancerous/suspicious lymph nodes from normal nodes and 2) if you had lymphoma, SOMETHING would be off in your blood work. A lot of times, people with lymphoma have drenching night sweats. No, not a little sweating (which I freaked out about when I was worried because I started to sweat in the summer, so dumb when I look back on it). Having to change the sheets and clothes types of sweats. And even if you had that, there are many, MANY other things it could potentially be.

If you're having to dig for nodes, you're fine. When doctors look for nodes, I've noticed they softly apply pressure to the neck. If there was a lymph node big enough to warrant concern, they would be able to see it by doing that. Basically everyone has some sort of palpable node in their body (sometimes they are suspicious looking but totally benign). Lymphoma nodes don't cause you to look for them, you usually they literally come out from the side or front of the neck.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: