Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Bat + rabies anxiety. Please help :(  (Read 132 times)

Offline anxietay

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Bat + rabies anxiety. Please help :(
« on: August 21, 2014, 07:39:19 PM »
So last night my roommate and I were sitting out on our balcony around midnight. A bat flew by and it freaked me out. I wanted to go inside but I figured I would try to conquer my fear. I was really on edge though. A couple minutes later one came swooping down at our heads!! And then back again! I think I maybe felt something on the top of my head, but I can't be sure. What if the bats wing knicked me? I know you can get rabies from bat scratches as well..would I have known for sure if it had scratched me? Everyone I talk to seems to think I'm okay or that I'm just crazy, but I'm really freaking out. This is not the first time I've had bat/rabies fears

Also, I talked to my mom about it today and she basically just told me to calm down. If she's not worried, theres not much I can do doctor wise. Because I can't pay for the visit and I'm on her health care plan (I'm in college)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 29
    • Poke This Member
Re: Bat + rabies anxiety. Please help :(
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 12:52:57 AM »
You don't have rabies. If the bat had bitten you or deeply scratched you to the point where you bled, yes, you would want to go in. But the bat's wing brushed your hair - you don't get rabies that way.

The lesson here is: don't try conquer your fear of the bat. Respect the bat.
Bookmark and Share

Offline totallyphobic

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 09:42:25 AM »
If it is freaking you out so much call your local Health department and tell them about the encounter and they will assess whether or not you have been exposed. They can guide you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline fishmanpa

• Rec's: 22
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 09:55:37 AM »
Really no chance whatsoever. If you think that you "maybe felt something" touch your head, it most likely was just the anxiety dragon (they're pesky little buggers those anxiety dragons). Calling the health department might make you appear batsh** crazy ;) (sorry couldn't resist the pun).

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Offline mindhop

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 09:55:46 AM »
I'm freaking out too about bats. I am in Europe in the woods where there are bats and I heard a small squeeking type noise from the rafter and i automatically looked up and it was spitting rain and of course i got moisture in my eye. I didnt see the bat but I believe its likely to be one as there are many here.  I am so scared that some of the moisture was saliva mixed with the rain. I am 5 hours from a capital city, I dont know what to do...is it crazy to go to a medical centre. I have been scared of rabies for years but this is getting to be too much. HELP anyone I really think i am going crazy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sickofworry

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 09:58:53 AM »
I hope I don't scare you more, but something like this happened to me and the dr insisted I take the shots, since apparently bats have claws and teeth that are so sharp and small you can be knicked without knowing it.  He said they almost always err on the side of caution. That being said, my insurance paid for the shots and honestly they weren't that bad.  I had to take 4 or 5 shots over the course of a month, can't remember because it has been almost ten years.  They were about like a tetunus shot.  The first one also consists of a gamma globulin shot which is based on your weight and it is the worst one.  Hint, if you have to take them tell the nurse you want to take all of the globulin shots at once, most adults weigh enough that you have to take two or three at once.  After the first one it is easy peasy. Seriously call your local epidemiologist and ask them what you should do.  But the upside,  if you do take the shots rabies can be crossed of the list of hypo triggers.  And the dr.told me there has never been a case of rabies in a person who initiated the shots within two weeks of exposure.
Bookmark and Share

Offline fishmanpa

• Rec's: 22
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 10:19:14 AM »
It was raining and there were bats in the woods. A drop of saliva from a drooling bat (that was carrying the virus) fell from the trees where it was raining and got in your eye? And a bat, that was carrying rabies (not all bats carry the virus) flew down, You "think" it scratched your scalp deep enough to get that rabies that it may or may not have into your blood steam? I know that anxiety causes irrational thoughts but this is pushing that beyond by a couple of notches.

With all due respect, I really don't think you have anything to be concerned with. You stand a much better chance of being hit by lighting tbh. When I was a kid, we used to catch bats by taking nylon stockings, placing a rock in the foot and throwing them into the air. The bats would grab them thinking they were prey, get tangled in the nylon and fall to the ground where we grabbed them and kept them as pets until our Mom's made us let them go. Apparently a lot of moms aren't fond of bats and they get pretty pissed when you use their good stocking to catch them!

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.