Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Thyroid nodule but cannot feel anything  (Read 234 times)

Offline potternut

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
Thyroid nodule but cannot feel anything
« on: August 21, 2014, 07:36:26 PM »
Hi Friends,

So i went for my dreaded yearly physical this morning, dreaded because we always find something wrong.  Today it was a thyroid nodule...doctor felt my neck and said the left side is bigger than the right.  When I expressed concern, her response was, "Well, if you're going to have cancer then thyroid cancer is the one you want to get!". At that, I almost fell off the table and she quickly realized her mistake.  She said that with my history of thyroid problems (hypothyroidism, diagnosed with Hashimoto's) it is very common and usually benign.  She said she would only recommend a biopsy if the nodule is over 1cm.  I am scheduling an ultrasound (my third thyroid US over the course of my life).

My question is for those of you with nodules.  I cannot feel anything out of the ordinary in my neck.  Are you able to feel the nodules?  I don't want to sit and poke because that will do more harm than good.  I'm just wondering if there's anyone else out there in my boat.

Thanks!
Bookmark and Share
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 30
    • Poke This Member
Re: Thyroid nodule but cannot feel anything
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 12:45:55 AM »
She's totally right - thyroid cancer is the one to get. Especially if you catch it early. But that's not important - what's important is what your doc said after that: "with my history of thyroid problems (hypothyroidism, diagnosed with Hashimoto's) a thyroid nodule is very common and usually benign."

A friend of mine has Hashimoto's and her doc also once felt something on her thyroid which wound up being nothing. You're going to be fine, even if the worst-case scenario.
Bookmark and Share

Offline potternut

Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 09:57:10 AM »
Thanks, Slangevar, for your encouragement.  I am trying to stay calm and kniw that the odds are in my favor.  However, that HA beast just keeps rearing its ugly head and the "what ifs? start.

I called to schedule the ultrasound...will let you know when I have more news.  Right now, I plan to stay off Dr. Google.
Bookmark and Share

Offline yesyesno

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 10:58:22 PM »
I went through the same thing a couple months ago.  Had the US and had a nodule 1.2 in size so I had to get a biopsy.  I was freaked out even though people like the lady who did my US told me thyroid issues pale in comparison and my doctor told me there's like less than a 5% chance of it being sinister.  Biopsy came back fine.  You will be fine!
Bookmark and Share

Offline potternut

Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 11:17:03 PM »
Thanks, yesyesno!  Your experience is reassuring and I'm glad it worked out for you.

My ultrasound is scheduled for Monday afternoon.  I know that thyroid cancer is totally treatable (and I'm really leaping to conclusions because I have no evidence that TC is what I'm dealing with) but my HA just doesn't want to be quiet!   I'm always thinking that I will be in that unlucky 5% - even though I should be focusing on the 95%!! 

There are so many benign reasons that can account for my asymmetrical thyroid, but somehow we HA peeps always jump to the worst case scenario.  My husband just reminded me of how many times I've worked myself up over some disease or test and it's turned out to be nothing.  Of course, my response was "Well, there's always the first time that it will be something awful...". Grrrrrr....

Thanks again for your kind words!  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline yesyesno

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 08:12:44 PM »
Of course I know exactly how you feel.  I was focused on that 5% too, but I came on here and ran into a bunch of people who went through the same thing with the same outcome, so I was able to contextualize the 95% somewhat.  Make sure to let us know how it goes!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline potternut

Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 05:12:59 PM »
Ok guys...had the thyroid ultrasound this afternoon.  The tech had my old thyroid scan from 2008 (no nodules then!).  She also made an interesting comment about how a thyroid can look "yucky" if you've been on thyroid meds for a while (never heard that before). 

Anyway, when we were done she said "Everything looks great!" which, of course, was very reassuring to me but I'm probably reading waaaay too much into it.  She said the radiologist will look at it tonight and my doctor will have the report tomorrow.

I'll keep you posted.  Thanks so very much for your good thoughts and wishes...I brought all of your good vibes to the appointment with me!   :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline fmfdoc

• Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 06:44:56 PM »
I just posted on my situation. I have a 1.5CM cyst on my right lobe. I get a Biopsy next week.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: