Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: ALS worry  (Read 504 times)

Offline Booodbod24

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
ALS worry
« on: August 21, 2014, 04:48:37 PM »
Hello everyone, I am new here, I think I am a hypochondriac, even though it took me time to admit it and acknologe it, because i am quit logical (i think), anyway, on May this year i had HIV fear because i got hot flashes-like feeling in my body. i googleed > it led me to Medhelp > it's an HIV symptom. my heart sank. even though the last sexual activity i did was safe. i kept googleing and read about the fever and all that, 1 week and i because sick (really sick) for a week with ongoing sore throat and Diereah. it did not stop until i took the test in July, which was negative. i felt extremely happy and had an amazing 2 weeks after that.

late-july while i was on my computer, relaxed and happy, i got a surprising-first time Lip twitch, it kept going and it didn't stop. it annoyed me but i wasn't scared or worried. I have no idea why i went to google, but i did.

i wrote lip-shake (did not even know what a twitch meant at the time!) > led me to ALS > searching to find what ALS means > here we are now. i was absolutely breathless. first time i heard about such thing. after that day i never got that lip twitch again.. However, i got eye twitch, which went on for a few days, more searching, more twitching.. and now i have FULL BOD-WIDE twitching with legs fatigue.

i am now having severe-ongoing anxiety because i am almost convinced i have ALS. of course i went to the ALS fourms, read about young people having it., and all that.

i went to a therapist today to start medication, because i really can't live like this. after talking to him I feel better, but i still scared to death, i think i will continue to e scared until i get the test to rule out this thing.

symptoms i am having:

-Body-wide almost constant twitching. (Mostly legs. Arms, thighs, solders
, hands, head.)
-leg  fatigue, i am walking tiredly, my knees shake. (for about 3 weeks)
- hands are shaking (not constant)

what do you think? please help. should i test for ALS? i am 24/ male. no family history or anything.

Thank You.
i am really scared, and i feel each day i am getting weaker, and those twitches are not going away. :'(
Bookmark and Share

Offline bearsfb66

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: ALS worry
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 06:32:04 PM »
Hi,

I am 30 years old and have the exact same fears as you. I go from disease to disease and when everything medically comes back clean I come to ALS. I am currently going through a fear of ALS and had body twitching for 13 months. My friend I want to tell you from experience do not google. Do not look up cases in the media since we have all these "ice bucket challenges". The only reason is guys like US can't mentally handle reading a case and not fearing this is me. You sir do not have ALS for several reasons:

#1 your age just like me are outside the median age by a long shot. I read a post that 92% of ALS cases are older than 38 and the median age is 57.

#2 ALS doesn't present itself as twitching as first symptom in 93.3% of the cases. That is consistent with that 6.7% of ALS cases present first symptom as twitching.

#3 weakness you don't have it and don't go looking for it. This is the hallmark sign of ALS. Not my arm feels funny but I can't button my shirt, walk, and I can't lift my coffee cup type weakness.

Do not google anymore and staring at your limbs right now (I know you are doing this because I did it). Being someone with health anxiety maybe I should take my own advice but I can tell you for sure sir, you don't have it. I've had this disease of health anxiety since I was a kid and I will continue to fear death by disease until the Lord calls my name or until I find inner peace. Don't waste months or years in neurology appointments, laying in bed waiting for your diagnosis, or on forums looking for you be an exception to the rule. Go reach your goals, live for today, and worry about tomorrow when tomorrow happens.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 22
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 07:42:47 PM »
Sounds like every case of anxiety induced twitching I have ever seen.  Starts in one place...google...anxiety...body wide twitches...perceived weakness of arms...perceived weakness of legs...muscle fatiguability...more anxiety...see a doc who says it's anxiety...don't believe him...see a neurologist who says its anxiety...don't believe him...EMG...normal...oh my gosh they did it on the wrong limb...now I'm waiting out the time...finally we begin to accept the benign cause of the twitching and miraculously the symptoms starts to resolve...we move onto the next disease process.

If you don't want to go through all that...stop now and accept that you are ok.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Online thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 12:49:07 AM »
What Shawn said. I want to add, don't be frightened if the twitching doesn't resolve immediately. It can take a while. Inevitably you will go through all the motions. Shawn gave me the best piece of advice I've received here: be angry. There exists a poem and an excerpt from it, 'rage against death'.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 07:48:20 AM »
What Shawn said. I want to add, don't be frightened if the twitching doesn't resolve immediately. It can take a while. Inevitably you will go through all the motions. Shawn gave me the best piece of advice I've received here: be angry. There exists a poem and an excerpt from it, 'rage against death'.

It's works doesn't it?  lol...I found that out by accident 20 years ago when I was going through my first set of panic attacks.  Fight or flight...it's the same chemical, different interpretation of said chemical.  Instead of getting scared...get mad.  Get angry at the anxiety...mad that it's robbing you of life and happiness.  Punch a heavy bag erked off at anxiety the next time you are freaking out.  It works.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Offline anxietyruinmylife

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 11:40:42 AM »
I always read this if worries comes
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php?topic=40164.0
Bookmark and Share
i'm 24 with mild anxiety

Offline Booodbod24

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 12:48:46 PM »
Thank you guys for the comforting words. it helped me deal with these strange symptoms.

sadly, these symptoms are still here. i can still feel the fatigue in my legs but what bother me the most is the constant-bodywide-ongoing twitching that is really annoying. i sit there and my feet's fingers move on their own from the twitches. the twitches are mostly in my legs, although i am still having them on my arms, shoulders, back and little on face.

should i really just assume it's anxiety and not something else? every time i try to let it go these twitches come and i go back on being scared that they are ALS..

thanks again guys. :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 01:12:15 PM »
Thank you guys for the comforting words. it helped me deal with these strange symptoms.

sadly, these symptoms are still here. i can still feel the fatigue in my legs but what bother me the most is the constant-bodywide-ongoing twitching that is really annoying. i sit there and my feet's fingers move on their own from the twitches. the twitches are mostly in my legs, although i am still having them on my arms, shoulders, back and little on face.

should i really just assume it's anxiety and not something else? every time i try to let it go these twitches come and i go back on being scared that they are ALS..

thanks again guys. :(

I'm twitching body wide typing to you right now, and my anxiety is in check for the moment.  It takes time for your neurological system to find a new baseline.  You will hurt and twitch for awhile...even with dealing with the anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Online thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 01:16:21 PM »
Shawn's correct. I'm still fairly uncomfortable even without incessant twitching.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline Booodbod24

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 02:44:46 PM »
hello guys, just wanted to give you i quick update.

so far i kept myself busy these past 2 weeks, i feel better but i am still having symptoms.

the "real" symptoms so far are still, the Body-wide twitching. but i think i am having other symptoms i am just not sure if they are really "real" or if i am imagining them.

- when i look at my arms i feel like they look thinner. both of them. i don't know if they really are.
- my hands' fingers feel clumsy. i can still move them, but they are shaky and clumsy-like.
- my arms shake when i reach something or hold something. also when i type i am missing key words.
- my legs feel fatigued a bit and my feet's fingers twitch constantly. or that's what i am feeling.

thanks guys. i guess i won't know for sure until i test.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: