Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Man oh Man....Recent Health Anxiety  (Read 188 times)

Offline olbobber

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Man oh Man....Recent Health Anxiety
« on: August 21, 2014, 03:28:21 PM »
Greetings,

Been reading through the forum and find it comforting to have a community to communicate with! 

Need some thoughts from everyone.

About 5 weeks ago, began to have "moving" lower abdominal discomfort.  Cramp like feelings that would be fairly constant but would move, to my lower back or all around the abdomen.  Felt like I was full and was constipated.  Took several laxatives, cleaned out the system, but the discomfort has not gone away.  Went to Primary Care who suggested blood work and a CT Scan of Abdomen and Pelvis with Contrast.  Blood Work was okay - very minor elevation of WBC 12.0 above normal of 10.8.  CT Scan was Normal.  Dr. was not worried about WBC.  Had blood tested again 1.5 weeks later and it had dropped to 11.08. 

Stomach and back pain comes a goes but is always there is some capacity.  I have been extremely stressed at work and now obsessed with finding out what is wrong with me.  No prior medical issues.  35 happily married male.  Become increasingly worried about stomach cancer or some other issue.  Have been waking at 1 in the morning and again at about 4:30 -5:30 - not really from pain, but as soon as I wake up, I feel it. 

Dr. sending for an Endoscopy, but do not know when I can get in yet.  Prescribed 20MG of Prozac for anxiety - started yesterday and hoping that this medication helps eliminate these symptoms if it is stress. 

Thoughts?  Encouragement?  I am feeling hopeless and discouraged and worry that something is really wrong. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline olbobber

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Man oh Man....Recent Health Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 11:05:37 AM »
Anyone?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 22
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 12:43:10 PM »
You appear to be all the right things here....

1.  You are ruling out any real physical problems, which is great. :yes:

2. Waking up 2x in the middle of night are strong signs pointing to anxiety.

3.  Prozac 20 mg - let me know how you continue to do... I have been currently using it for over a decade.  Did your Dr. let you know .... It will not have any therapeutic effects for 4-12 weeks?

Did they prescribe anything else for your anxiety that would start working a little sooner?

Keep us updated... You are doing all the right things.   :grinning-smiley-003: :grinning-smiley-003: :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline potternut

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 12:48:56 PM »
Hi!

Your good labs and clean CT scan should be encouraging.  Sounds like your doctor is ordering the right tests to rule out anything medical.  Certainly we all know that anxiety and stress can cause the symptoms that you're experiencing.  Pls let us know if the symptoms subside once thr Prozac kicks in.   :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Offline olbobber

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 12:52:54 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I appreciate it.

He did mention it taking several weeks to kick in.  I guess I was hoping for immediate improvement of symptoms.... I will continue to be patient.

I hope the major stuff would have been caught by now with Blood Work and CT Scan.  Doctor seems to think so and I am quite fond of him and his follow through.

The hard part is feeling like I flip a switch in my mind that this is just anxiety ... then will have a better evening or day or morning or whatever ( still feel it, but not as focused on it ) and then it seems to come right back the next day or later in the day.  I am thinking it is a vicious cycle and the anxiety creeps back in.

Is it reasonable to assume that even when I think I am not feeling particularly overwhelmed or anxious, the symptoms are still there?  On rare occasion when fully distracted, they disappear, maybe 30 minutes at most....
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 01:24:40 PM »
Another option - instead of having to wait until the Prozac kicks in...  You might want to discuss with your doctor of what his/her thoughts on using a low dose benzodiazepine until the Prozac kicks in....

If it's anxiety causing this ... U will know within a couple of days.... By using the fast acting benzodiazepine. Until the Prozac kicks in.

Good look.... Keep us updated :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline olbobber

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 02:59:20 PM »
I will do that.  Looks like I have an office visit with the Gastro next Wednesday.

Such a strange feeling to be this worried.  I just worry that the CT Scan is not conclusive and they missed cancer....
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 03:05:32 PM »
Like most of us who worry about the worst....  At the end of our search we find this insidious called anxiety ::)

Stay strong and let us know what you find out  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: