Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Rabid Me  (Read 117 times)

Offline brokenrecord1

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Rabid Me
« on: August 21, 2014, 03:19:11 PM »
Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register.I did not receive any responses to my initial post so I am beginning to think that there is legitimate reason to worry.  I received a superficial bite from a neighborhood dog two weeks ago.  I went to the ER and was told I did not need the rabies vaccine because the bite did not break skin.  My research shows that a superficial bite could still allow transmission.  I am in agony over this.  The dog was hit by a car and killed, and it was not tested for rabies because the doctor said my bite was not significant enough.  The dog was vaccinated.  Rabies is one of my biggest fears.  Where to go from here?  Should I pursue a second opinion on shots even though it may already be too late? 
Bookmark and Share

Online Natsab87

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
Re: Rabid Me
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 04:57:14 PM »
If it didn't break the skin there's no reason it would transfer rabies to you and there's also not much chance the dog even has rabies, you're jumping to two conclusions there! Also, I would highly expect you to have some symptoms now if you had rabies!
Trust his Drs advice, they're there to help!! Lots of us would have rabies if it were the case that a dogs bite (without breaking the skin) transmitted it to us!

Chin up and let it go x
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 05:10:35 PM »
Hi BR, and welcome to Anxiety Zone...  My name is Chuck, and I am one of the Global Moderators here on the site.

You are now a member of our community, where you will find support and advice from other members in similar situations.   It's always nice to find someone else who understands, and to know you're not alone.

We have sections in the forum that address specific concerns, so feel free to post or start a new topic in the section that best fits your situation.  Feel free to explore the rest of the forum.  You may find the other topics helpful, and you may be able to offer advice or support to someone else.

We also have a chat room for members over the age of 18.  Once you have made three meaningful posts, you will be allowed access to the chat room.

BR, for those individuals with health anxiety, fear of rabies is not all that uncommon.  In your case, you really can rest easy.  The reason that I say this is that you live in the United States.  Decades of vaccinating dogs and cats in the States, has basically rid our domestic animals as carriers of the rabies virus.  Hosts/carriers today, include wild carnivores and bats.  Also, you mentioned that the dog's vaccinations were up to date.  On top of that, your wound was superficial, and did not break the skin.

Now, my question for you is what are you doing to treat your health anxiety?  If you weren't worried about rabies, there is a real good chance that you'd be finding something else to be worried about.  Are you in therapy?

Again, welcome to Anxiety Zone, BR.  The very best to you!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003: 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 22
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 05:56:51 PM »
Something similar to this occurred to my older sister's child (7 years old).  They went to the hospital and the doctor reported "there was no broken skin caused by the dog bite". 

The Dr. had explained:

1)  They need to find an open wound caused by the bite (skin must have been broken) for rabies saliva to be able to enter into mucous membranes.  Since, this did not happen then there was no possibility of rabies exposure.  The rabies virus is way too fragile and once it dries - the rabies virus dies.

2)  If they were still concerned they make a follow-up appointment in 2 weeks, again the Dr. reassuring - that rabies is not very common - unless there was serious injuries and puncture wounds, AND the dog would have to prove positive for rabies, which is not that common in the E.R. anymore.

3)  Finally, the Dr. in trying to comfort my sister, told her to get a digital thermometer at the drugstore, and if the child has a fever - which is one of the most common indicators of possible rabies infection, bring the child to the E.R. 

(This was just way a reassure my sister - and of course nothing ever did happen - just a lot of stress  ::)

If your Dr. has already told you "the bite did not break skin" - and you still feel a lot of anxiety, buy a digital thermometer and check yourself for a high fever, ... For $10 - you can just check yourself, that you are indeed O.K. and fine!

This will at least give you a some sense of peace and lower your anxiety :yes:.    :action-smiley-065:

Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Tags: