Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Lymph node growing, please help  (Read 331 times)

Offline StrawberryCraze91

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Lymph node growing, please help
« on: August 21, 2014, 02:09:44 PM »
3-4 weeks ago I noticed a small lymph node on my neck, it was about the size of a pea.  Today I felt it again and I think it's bigger, I used to have to dig to find it but now I can run my finger over the area and feel it.  It is a little soft and moves a bit.  I am worried because I just saw my doctor last month about my chest and armpit pain.  I asked for another CBC, a lymph node ultrasound and a chest x-ray.  They refused because they said I had nothing that warranted all of those test.  I had a CBC back in may that was normal.

I had my last doctor visit July 14th, two days later I got sick(I was coughing up yellow phlegm, having cough attacks, a very runny nose and just feeling run down, I could not walk a block without breaking down coughing), this lasted for two weeks.  For about 10 days I felt better and only coughed up clear phlegm occasionally.  The last Friday I developed a sore throat again, now I have a dry cough and sneezing. The sore throat is now gone and when I wake up I have snot on my nose. My temp was 98.8 on sunday(it is usually 97.5) and a week before that I was sweating at night(not drenched but I was uncomfortable and damp in areas) I also have irritated gums that have been here for about a week.

I am taking steps to start counseling but I can't help but think the doctors missed something/I am seriously ill.  I have basically already accepted that I have cancer, it's terrible and I am very depressed.

I want to make another doctors appointment
Bookmark and Share
Pslam 56:3
When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.

Isaiah 54:17
"No weapon that is formed against you will prosper"

Peter 5:7
"casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you."

Offline Myster Jyngo

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Lymph node growing, please help
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 02:20:25 PM »
It seems that you are trying to find something that is wrong with you. Despite your doctor telling you otherwise, you feel as if they are missing something, right? But your new fear now is the lymph node in your neck, which seems to have grown to you. Indeed, if you google this, you will most definitely find that this can be caused by lymphoma, or another type of cancer. But did you know it's also common to have fat deposits in your neck as well? You said that you were sick recently too. Well that in itself can mean that your swollen lymph node is just a normal reaction of your body fighting off the infection. Are you experiencing any other symptoms?
Bookmark and Share

Online marie204430

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Sad
    Sad
  • Trying to stop this cycle
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 02:21:29 PM »
I've followed your posts so I realize you have been touching it a lot.
IF YOU TOUCH IT, IT WILL GROW! I learned this the hard way. Do not touch it. It has all the characteristics of a healthy node.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 21
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 02:30:41 PM »
Do you have a clock, with a ticking second hand? Even your computer's clock would do if you can see it graphically tick. If you do, open it and watch the second hand. What you'll see is that the first second took longer to occur than the seconds that came after it.

Your perception has been distorted based on memories from a half second earlier. That should tell you just how reliable your memory is. So comparing something now to something 3 weeks ago is impossible.

Also stop poking it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 30
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 02:35:28 PM »
Stop poking it. Make a calendar reminder to check the node again in 2 weeks. If it has grown, you can see your doc again and see what he/she thinks. (Don't worry - you can afford to wait 2 weeks.)  If it seems about the same size or smaller, you're all clear.

Docs only worry about lymph nodes over 2 cm - about twice the size of a pea. They also worry about fast-growing nodes that appear in the absence of an infection (i.e. one that goes from nothing to marble-sized in a couple of weeks). It doesn't sound like either of those apply to you, so you need to watch and wait.
Bookmark and Share

Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 02:40:56 PM »
I don't have any other symptoms outside of the cold.  I have already waited 3 weeks and not much has happened.  It was actually softer and more moveable yesterday morning, but after poking it all day it seems like it grew.  It is still smaller than 1cm though.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 30
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 02:54:07 PM »
Less than 2 cm is "clinically insignificant." Meaning they're not associated with cancer. They ARE, however, associated with colds, and sometimes they can take a while to shrivel after getting sick. Sometimes they stay the size of a bb forever - I have two of those. I believe they're called shoddy nodes.

Check again in two weeks, if it's a lot bigger, go in. If it's not (and I don't think it will be), you're fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline fishmanpa

• Rec's: 31
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 02:55:06 PM »
If you poke and prod it, it will remain irritated and then some. You know those cones they use on dogs and cats to keep them from scratching? They need to make them for HA sufferers with node obsessions ;)

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Online marie204430

Sad
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 02:59:06 PM »
Like slangevar said, they may never go down. Some people have permanately enlarged nodes (even big ones, like slangevar said as well). Over 2cm doesn't automatically equal cancer either, it just means the doc will take a closer look at them. Everyone's nodes are diff. Some can only be felt in certain positions, some can be felt by poking hard, soft, only on some days, etc.

My doctor said a noticeable infection doesn't have to be present for a node to swell. She said it can be something small that isn't showing symptoms. She also said it can be caused by dandruff, a scratch, a bug bite, etc. Some people's are more sensitive than others.

If you touch them, YOU WILL irritate them. And if you do, it will take longer to go down. People have said it can take 6 WEEKS for them to go down, sometimes longer, sometimes never. But you are doing more harm by constantly touching them.

The cold is enough by the way, to make one swell. Unless they were big, rock hard, immovable, painless and constantly growing significantly everyday, you're totally fine.

Didn't you also say your mom said you had it forever? if you've had it for years or even months and its been the same or smaller, then you really have ZERO REASON to worry. Seriously, some people I know have over 5 or 6 shoddy nodes that are "rock hard" and they have had them forever. No lymphoma.
Bookmark and Share

Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 03:17:22 PM »
I do have dandruff and allergies....
Bookmark and Share

Online marie204430

Sad
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 03:21:42 PM »
Like I said, that could cause it. I honestly think you're fine. I think you said your mother is a nurse and she knows you've had it forever? that alone should make you not worry. Unless it quadruples in size or something (after you stop touching it!) You should be okay.
Bookmark and Share

Online ellengreen9

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 03:44:33 PM »
About ten years ago I had a lymph node under my armpit that was so big!  I actually didn't notice it until I dreamed I was itching under my armpit, and in my sleep I felt it.  Next morning I thought I'd dreamed it, and imagine my terror when I felt and THERE IT WAS!  HUGE!  Went to the doc..he looked at it, felt it, and said it didn't look scary to him, but if it bothered me, I could have it removed.  STILL TERRIFIED.  He had an ultrasound done - looked benign.  I was still so scared, so I had it removed.  The surgeon took it out, biopsied it, and it was benign.  Both doctors said that OFTEN lymph nodes get big for no apparent reason.  That was TEN years ago, and I'm fine.  Have a lumpy scar under my arm where my lymph node used to be.  I ignore it.
Bookmark and Share

Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 04:05:16 PM »
OK, I will stop touching it
Bookmark and Share

Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 10:04:28 PM »
I felt it again and it just feels bigger.  It was smaller/harder to find 3 weeks ago. :traurig001:
Bookmark and Share

Online marie204430

Sad
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 10:57:12 PM »
Honestly to me, its because you are touching it. It doesn't always get bigger right after you touch it, sometimes it takes a bit of time (a few hours, maybe a day).
Please leave it for a few days and chances are it will shrink. if it is the same one you had since you were little, then you are aggravating it for no reason because you probably will always have it. A lot of people just have nodes like this
Bookmark and Share

Tags: