Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: I definitely have Sporadic Fatal Insomnia!  (Read 224 times)

Offline Venomsoar

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I definitely have Sporadic Fatal Insomnia!
« on: August 21, 2014, 12:58:59 PM »
I am basically preparing myself for death right now. Since Saturday, I have had just 12 hours sleep. I literally cannot sleep. I have been so sleep deprived all today. And I lay down to try and go sleep, after about 20 minutes, I was awake. And now I cannot go back to sleep. Nobody believes me. When I mentioned it to my doctor, he looked like he had never heard of it before. And he just said "stop googling". I have been having severe panic attacks since Saturday. Zopiclone has made me worse. I had one last night which only gave me 1 hour sleep. I have been given more of them, but I am not taking them as they hasten the disease. It is basically over for me. It truly is. And whats worse is everybody around me is just going to dismiss it until I really start degrading.

This isn't just anxiety - it can't be. Because when I try to sleep, I slip in and out of consciousness over and over again. And usually, I would go to sleep regardless of how anxious I was based on the fact that I was severely sleep deprived (36 hours). However, I am severely sleep deprived now. I don't actually even feel tired. I am very alert (after the 20 minutes of being in light sleep). And previously, I would feel very alert after 2 hours of sleep.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Caribou

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I definitely have Sporadic Fatal Insomnia!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 01:16:04 PM »
Don't prepare yourself for death, because you don't have SFI.

However, I totally understand your concern and worry because it is scary to think about.  But that's just the thing - you're thinking about it too much.  I remember that I had gone to the doctor for the same worry and she just looked at me like I was nuts.

If you really had SFI, you wouldn't only show insomnia.  It's a neurodegenerative disease...therefore you would show neurological symptoms as well.  You would have pinprick pupils, aphasia, ataxia, etc.  I'll use the odds of winning the lottery are better speech, because your odds are essentially zero.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Venomsoar

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 01:33:36 PM »
I don't just have insomnia. I have alleviated heart rate and temperature. I am impotent as well. And these happened suddenly. I have been sleep deprived for 6 days and restorative sleep just doesn't come.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 215
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 01:45:53 PM »
I don't know HOW many times people come on here pronouncing they definitely have _______.  then they find out they are wrong.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 29
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 02:22:18 PM »
Anxiety can cause all of your symptoms, as well. Millions (maybe billions?) of people on earth have anxiety; only a few have SFI. If you do have SFI (and you don't), you probably should have already started showing signs of a neurodegenerative disease. For example, slurred speech, double vision, impaired movement.

Are you under any intense stress at the moment?  Are you taking any drugs or drinking a lot of alcohol?  Are you eating well (i.e. getting enough vitamins)?  Have you tried stress-relief techniques like meditation?  These are all questions you should focus on as they all relate to conditions that are much more likely to cause insomnia than SFI.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 19
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 02:28:30 PM »
This may sound silly, but as someone who's sleep pattern by default is extreme insomnia (two + days awake are common) Ive found something that seems to trick your body into sleeping. basically, you don't really chagne the light levels, don't change clothes, lay on your bed, not under the blankets, on your back but not in a stiff position (have one leg in an odd position can help) and try not to fall asleep but without actually trying to stop it.

Dong this exact set of things makes me force myself awake again, since my plan is to not sleep.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Caribou

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 03:13:23 PM »
There are plenty of people who are insomniacs for long periods of time.  One example is my mother - she hasn't had a decent night sleep in years (according to her).  However, since she doesn't have health anxiety her mind doesn't immediately assume the worst.

She's 56 now and has had this same problem since she was 27.  When I was worried I had SFI I asked her if she remembered her longest insomnia spell and she told me that it happens so often, she almost NEVER has a good night's sleep.  I will also tell you that I had the same exact problems you did when I was going through my insomnia scare.  My symptoms also just came out of nowhere - I was completely caught off guard.

In all honesty just try and relax yourself - you're going to be fine.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: