Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Should have never googled COPD....PLEASE HELP!I am freaking.  (Read 126 times)

Online jimmy7777

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
Should have never googled COPD....PLEASE HELP!I am freaking.
« on: August 21, 2014, 12:12:44 PM »
I'm freaking out right now. I should have never googled COPD! I cam across a post from a 34 y/o and it sounds just like what I'm going through especially havinh chest xrays and nothing showing up and this guy has it so bad hes only at 21% lung capacity.
Heres exactly what he posted.

posted July 22, 2014 11:12 AM           I'm scared, very scared...I'm 34 and just got a dx of severe copd with 21% lung capacity. Im alpha 1 negative and smoked for 10 years about half to a pack a day haven't smoked in 10 months or so. All this started 8 months ago with a chronic cough. I could do whatever I wanted when I wanted. Saw a gastro doc about my reflux he upped my mess and the cough got better but not completely gone. After that I slowly started to become sob and one time ended up at urgent care. Doc did a chest X-ray and saw nothing. He did a breathing test to check for asthma and after taking a breathing treatment I didn't do better on the test. He referred me to a lung doc.Went to the lung doc and had a pft done and was told copd based off the numbers. I told her about my reflux so she did a ct scan. It showed inflammation in my lungs from the reflux she said. After a diet change lost weight (30 pounds and I wasn't overweight), head of the bed elevated etc I ended up in the ER for sob. They did a ct with contrast and it showed the inflammation was almost gone. Great right?! Wrong I still had sob when I exerted myself which slowly grew to taking a shower making me sob. Saw the lung doc again who looked at the ct and said the inflammation was gone so I asked why I still couldn't breath she said copd try these inhalers and come see me in 6 weeks...Wanting a second opinion I saw my regular doc who called his friend while I was in the room who was a lung doc to see if he could squeeze me in which he did that day. He ordered all kinds of tests. Vq, high res ct, blood work etc. saw him yesterday and he tells me after my pft that I have severe copd with 21% lung capacity and the he's sending me to Stanford ca hospital to be further evaluated.I'm completely scared for my life right now. I'm young and have to very young sons that I would like to see and help grow into men with families. I wanna live a long time if I can!So all you that have gone thru this what's next? Is transplant in my future ?[This message has been edited by Tbrown1 (edited July 23, 2014).]
Bookmark and Share
There is nothing we can do with suffering
except suffer it. "C.S Lewis"

Offline fishmanpa

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Should have never googled COPD....PLEASE HELP!I am freaking.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 12:26:03 PM »
But have you been diagnosed?

Everyone is different and breathing difficulties are a symptom of anxiety (you are posting on an anxiety forum after all). First step is to be checked by a medical professional. If all is clear, it leaves one thing.

Dr Google strikes again!

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Online jimmy7777

Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 01:08:28 PM »
No I haven't been diagnosed unless you count Dr Google, but I have been to a urgent care and they did chest xrays and bloodwork and everything came back normal, but  that guys xrays came back normal also.
Theu gave me an inhaler and it does some what work, but I've been having more prblems with my lungs this year than usual.
The breathing and chest tightness is 24/7 now, and only seems to be getting worse.
Bookmark and Share

Offline fishmanpa

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 03:24:02 PM »
"I have been to a urgent care and they did chest xrays and bloodwork and everything came back normal"

You're not "that guy". It's been an unusually rough year with allergies here in the States. I'm not a doctor but that combined with anxiety is the most likely cause of your symptoms. I know both my wife and I have been suffering more than usual this year. If you smoke QUIT! No if's and's or but's!

Looking up horror stories and feeding your Dragon by Googling will just perpetuate your symptoms and make them worse. Treating the real illness is the key to treating the physical symptoms caused by your anxiety.

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Online jimmy7777

Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 11:58:19 PM »
Thanks, and no I don't smoke anymore. If I take just one hit off of a cigarette I go into an asthma attack so I had to quit.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: