Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Is this taper method safe?  (Read 98 times)

Offline Tiredofbeingsickandtired

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Is this taper method safe?
« on: August 21, 2014, 11:21:55 AM »
Ive been on Ativan since Nov 2013, taking 1.5mg a day.  My doctor (GP) had me start weaning a month and a half ago, cutting .5mg every 2 weeks. Its been 4 days since my last Ativan now, and I was just wondering if this is a safe method? Ive heard so many horror stories about dangerous withdrawal symptoms and its freaking me out I really don't want a seizure or anything like that.  I'm also on 60mg of Cymbalta.  Any help/reassurance would be greatly appreciated.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 94
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Is this taper method safe?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 05:17:51 PM »
Its been 4 days since my last Ativan now, and I was just wondering if this is a safe method? Ive heard so many horror stories about dangerous withdrawal symptoms and its freaking me out I really don't want a seizure or anything like that.

Dr Google can be a very unreliable source of information on med matters at the best of times, but discussions of benzodiazepine withdrawal attracts much more than its fair share of male bovine excreta.

Ativan has a short half-life so if you stopped taking it 4 days ago you've been free of it for about a day, or at least free of the pharmaceutical version, you're still getting some lorazepam from your diet. If you were going to have a seizure you would have had it by now. Seizures mostly occur when folk stop taking high benzodiazepine doses 'cold-turkey' and even then they are uncommon.

Ian 
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 09:44:12 PM »
I concur with Ian, if you would have been ***** risk for a seizure, you'd be well past it by now :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Tiredofbeingsickandtired

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 10:21:46 AM »
Thank you to the both of you  :happy0151: That really makes me feel a lot better!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: