Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: right ear is totally clogged, help!  (Read 193 times)

Offline leah2013

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
right ear is totally clogged, help!
« on: August 21, 2014, 11:00:15 AM »
so yesterday iu cleaned my ears with a qtip, i know i shouldn't. Now my right ear is TOTALLY clogged.... i can't hear anything... it looks like there is something stock in there but I know it's not cotton from the qtip..... what's going on? how can I unclog my ear????? please help!
Bookmark and Share
Going thru a rough patch! Praying for peace of mind and happiness!!!!

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 30
    • Poke This Member
Re: right ear is totally clogged, help!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 02:31:27 PM »
I've had exactly the same thing before - your ear canal is blocked with sticky wax that you need removed. The best option is to go to an ear nose and throat (ENT) doc and have them either vacuum out the wax or do a water lavage.

Next best option is to ask your primary care doc to do it. I had one be too aggressive once, though, and it took a few months to regain all of my hearing, so an ENT is definitely the best option.  And even if you don't  have insurance, it shouldn't cost too much... they're quick and routing.

And they'll tell you afterwards: Stop using Q-tips to clean your ears! 
Bookmark and Share

Offline leah2013

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 12:11:29 AM »
I've had exactly the same thing before - your ear canal is blocked with sticky wax that you need removed. The best option is to go to an ear nose and throat (ENT) doc and have them either vacuum out the wax or do a water lavage.

Next best option is to ask your primary care doc to do it. I had one be too aggressive once, though, and it took a few months to regain all of my hearing, so an ENT is definitely the best option.  And even if you don't  have insurance, it shouldn't cost too much... they're quick and routing.

And they'll tell you afterwards: Stop using Q-tips to clean your ears!

thanks for your reply... do u think the Qtip pushed the wax down and clogged my ear???? I was hoping my family doctor could help.... grrrrrrr, why did I use that stupid Qtip????????
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 12:25:23 AM »
The Q-tip basically cakes the wax onto the sides of your ear (sort of like putting cream cheese on a bagel). Over time, the wax builds up until it closes off your ear canal. It's not dangerous and removing it is very simple - they either use a tiny vacuum that sucks it out or they use a water syringe to flush it out. The wax itself is pretty disgusting, but your hearing will be pristine after they finish.

Your family doctor should be able to do it - mine did it once or twice and it went fine. But the third time, the doc had her nurse do it and she messed it up.  I knew something had gone wrong when I felt pain (it should be loud and weird-feeling, but not painful) and the doctor prescribed me ear antibiotics.  But it was fine - my hearing was a little muted, but it cleared up a couple of months later.
Bookmark and Share

Offline leah2013

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 10:12:00 AM »
The Q-tip basically cakes the wax onto the sides of your ear (sort of like putting cream cheese on a bagel). Over time, the wax builds up until it closes off your ear canal. It's not dangerous and removing it is very simple - they either use a tiny vacuum that sucks it out or they use a water syringe to flush it out. The wax itself is pretty disgusting, but your hearing will be pristine after they finish.

Your family doctor should be able to do it - mine did it once or twice and it went fine. But the third time, the doc had her nurse do it and she messed it up.  I knew something had gone wrong when I felt pain (it should be loud and weird-feeling, but not painful) and the doctor prescribed me ear antibiotics.  But it was fine - my hearing was a little muted, but it cleared up a couple of months later.

Thanks I am going to have to make an appointment grrrrr and so sick and tired of going to doctors.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 05:09:54 PM »
I hear you, but fortunately this is a quick, easy and cheap one!
Bookmark and Share

Offline ivyt73

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 08:22:22 PM »
This happens to me all the time..all you need to do is go to the pharmacy and buy an ear was removal kit.  It has some solution that you put in your ear for a few minutes and then a bulb syringe that you can use to flush the wax out with water.  The name brand is Debrox but they also have Murine.  You can do this for a few days and if it doesn't get better go see the doc.

Ivy
Bookmark and Share

Tags: