Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Breast pain update  (Read 353 times)

Offline mct425

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Breast pain update
« on: August 20, 2014, 11:07:43 PM »
I had posted previously about having sharp pain in my left breast that started 3 weeks before my period. My GP doctor said he couldn't feel anything when doing a manual exam and to see what happened once my period came. He wrote a script for mammogram and ultrasound (although was hesitant as he felt it to be overboard).

My period actually came 5 days early and the pain disappeared. I'm relieved about that since it seems that would make the pain cyclical and less likely cancer.

But there's still a fear that there might be something there. My left armpit feels bigger than my right (dh says it's the muscle I'm feeling-stronger since I carry dd on that side all day).

I have an annual obgyn appointment in a few weeks and plan to discuss the issue with him. But in the meantime, should I have the imaging done? My gp felt it unnecessary if the pain subsided (which it did). I'd like to talk to my obgyn first, but keep thinking "what if you DO have something? Wouldn't waiting make it worse?"

I think I am now so hyper aware of that breast that I feel aches and such when they aren't really there. If I'm truly distracted I forget all about it.

Sigh.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mct425

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Breast pain update
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 06:39:31 AM »
Bump
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiouskathie

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 210
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 07:05:47 AM »
It does sound like you are hyper aware of the situation right now, but if you are still concerned, ask that doc if you can still have the mammogram.  I'm sure they'd have no issue doing that for you
Bookmark and Share

Offline mct425

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 02:33:02 PM »
He gave me the script when I was there 2 weeks ago so I still have it. He said if the pain went away after my period there was no need to have a mammogram (I think my age was a concern) or further imaging. However if the pain continued he wanted an ultrasound done.  But since the pain is gone, I guess I'm not supposed to have any imaging.

I'm just so "aware" of my left breast and armpit. I've poked and prodded and when I think I found a lump, I'll find the same spot on the right breast. Hubby says leave it alone and stop obsessing over it. But I just can't let this one go :(

My grandmother was just diagnosed with cancer last week and I'm wondering if that's feeding my big cancer fears and causing the inability to just LIVE and stop envisioning what my chemo treatments will be like (ugh-I told you the fear is bad.)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 29
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 02:39:37 PM »
I'm sorry about your grandmother - that will definitely kick off HA.  I had a spell of right-sided breast pain for a while. My doc told me to take evening primrose oil, which helped a lot. 

From what I understand, BC lymph nodes in your armpit don't feel like a general enlargement - they feel like a palpable lump. So yes - stop poking your armpit. As for your breast, it's possible that carrying your DD on that side is irritating the muscle under it. When did you stop breastfeeding?  That can also cause breast pain. Or it could be hormones. Either way, it sounds like your doc is being appropriately vigilant, but your tests aren't at all worrisome.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mct425

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 03:20:36 PM »
I stopped breast feeding 9 months ago so I'm not sure if the pain I had is related.

I'm guessing bc pain doesn't disappear when your period starts as everything I've heard about cancer is the pain is persistent or worsens.

I have a referral to see a therapist about my HA but haven't taken the plunge to go meet him. I'm just so frustrated living life thinking every ache and pain is terminal :(  and the invention of Google does NOT help the cause :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline marie204430

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Sad
    Sad
  • Trying to stop this cycle
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 03:25:13 PM »
We all know how you feel. We are always diagnosing ourselves with terminal illnesses. Pain with a serious illness wouldn't be on and off so it is safe to stop.
Stop poking your arm pit like slangevar said because that will cause them to swell and will irritate the nodes. Going for the mammogram isn't a big deal so go for that if you find you are still worried but promise yourself that after and if you do that, you will stop.

I also thought that breast cancer usually is a painless lump. Idk
Bookmark and Share

Offline mydogisnamedslippy

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 08:25:38 PM »
Hey!

I just wanted to post to this because I literally got back from having a breast ultrasound TODAY for pain that wouldn't go away. My doc wouldn't send me for a mammogram because I'm not 30 yet, so i had an ultrasound instead. Found actually nothing. The lady was really nice and said that sometime hormones get weird and so the pain just kind of lingers around.

Also as my doc says, "boobs are sisters, not twins" (LOL!!!) so its tots cool to have more pain in one then the other sometimes. If the pain is gone, I totally wouldn't worry about it. But even if its still there a little bit--no biggy. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 12:13:43 AM »
Actually feeling breast pain means it's less likely to be cancerous. The majority of women who get breast cancer find it because they feel a non-tender lump (or their doctor does) - not because they feel pain.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mct425

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 07:46:50 AM »
Thanks everyone! Yes my dr also said pain is not a hallmark symptom of bc. But after reading stuff online, I found women whose first sign of bc WAS pain. I also read stories of women who were given mammograms and ultrasounds, but the cancer wasn't  found until the woman demanded further tests because she "felt" something was wrong.

Aaargh.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mct425

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 10:02:14 PM »
So the pain seems to be coming back today. Just like last month :(. Hubby says get the imaging but I am so scared. Just read a bunch of stories from bc patients who had pain as a symptom and have freaked myself out.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiouskathie

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 210
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 11:32:17 AM »
Try your best to trust in your doctor and not read the online stories.  Anything you read regarding pain online is going to shot right to the negative.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PantsyAntsy

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 12:18:41 PM »
i feel ya, mct!

I have had an armpit lump and lymph nodes for a year and a half. My imaging has always come back good (these have been monitored fairly frequently), but the breast surgeon is sending me for a PET/CT on Tuesday since they have been there so long. Being refererred for testing is always anxiety inducing!

If I were you, I'd just get the imaging. Cyclical pain is not cancer but this way you can rule it out!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 03:28:30 PM »
Regarding those cancer horror stories, keep in mind that you're reading a small fractional percentage of the truth online. The thousands (maybe millions) of women who have painful breasts, but no cancer don't post online. And the women who found a lump, got a cancer diagnosis and recovered completely also don't tend to post online. You're basing your fear on a handful of stories out of billions of women worldwide - stories, I might add, where you don't have all of the information. That would be like being afraid to eat pretzels because a couple of people have choked and died eating them. Can it happen?  Sure. Will it happen to you?  Probably not.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: