Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: New to Lorazepam  (Read 192 times)

Offline Blondie1984

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
New to Lorazepam
« on: August 20, 2014, 09:39:34 PM »
Well I went to the doctor today and she recommended I start taking 0.5 tablet of Lorazepam when I feel I need it, twice a day. She said to first try half a tablet and see if that's enough. In the meantime, I am supposed to meet with a mental health clinic to come up with a more permanent plan.

I went home and felt the anxiety building, so I took 1/2 a 0.5mg tablet. Within an hour I was napping. I needed the rest, but when I woke up, I felt numb and as if I was in a bubble.

5 hours later, another attack started. I tried waiting it out because I didn't want to take too much too soon, but I eventually took the other half of the tablet. Again I was sleeping soon after. I only slept 30 mins, but now I feel like I can't keep my eyes open.

Is this a typical reaction? If I take a full 0.5mg tablet, will the anti-anxiety effects last longer? Or will I turn in to Sleeping Beauty?

Bookmark and Share

Offline NoShadesofGrey

• Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • There's hope in front of me
    • Poke This Member
Re: New to Lorazepam
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 10:00:40 PM »
I had a similar problem.  At 0.5mg I pretty much physically couldn't stay away.  With half a tablet I was sleepy, yet it didn't really give me much relief from my anxiety.  I tried it for several days and went back to the doctor and he switched me to Xanax XR. 

I would recommend talking to your doctor about trying either Xanax or Klonopin--whichever she feels best suits your needs.
Bookmark and Share
On days of gray when doubt clouds my view
It's so hard to see past my fears
My strength seems to fade and it's all I can do
To hold on 'til the light reappears
Still, I believe though some rain's bound to fall
That You're here next to me and You're over it all

Online Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 22
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 11:45:47 PM »
Well I went to the doctor today and she recommended I start taking 0.5 tablet of Lorazepam when I feel I need it, twice a day. She said to first try half a tablet and see if that's enough. In the meantime, I am supposed to meet with a mental health clinic to come up with a more permanent plan.

I went home and felt the anxiety building, so I took 1/2 a 0.5mg tablet. Within an hour I was napping. I needed the rest, but when I woke up, I felt numb and as if I was in a bubble.

5 hours later, another attack started. I tried waiting it out because I didn't want to take too much too soon, but I eventually took the other half of the tablet. Again I was sleeping soon after. I only slept 30 mins, but now I feel like I can't keep my eyes open.

Yes, it is normal.

You are taking only .25 mg of Lorazepam - which only lasted me about 3 hours of anxiety coverage, at .50 mg it lasted me about 5 hours.  The drowsiness started to become less of in issue after a couple of weeks.

After the first week of using Lorazepam - you should feel less drowsiness.

When you do visit your doctor ask about using Klonopin, I would agree, with NoShades, that Klonopin would be a much better choice, since you can take it at bedtime, and eventually work to just one daily dose at bedtime and it will protect you from anxiety for the whole day, and will avoid the having the "drowsiness" of Lorazepam.

I posted earlier that:

Klonopin is a Long Half-Life BZD, and are ideal for nighttime use, since it will stay in your body for up to 24 hours, and once I got to taking Klonopin on a daily dose at bedtime, I would just carry 1/2 dose of Klonopin during the day, just in case I had any emergency anxiety.  I did this successfully for a couple of years with great results  :yes:.

Good luck,

And let us know how you are doing  :action-smiley-065:

Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline insights

• Rec's: 103
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 12:08:34 AM »
New to Lorazepam

Actually, you're not. You've been ingesting small amounts of lorazepam all your life. It is found naturally in almost all foods.

All the benzodiazepines may cause sedation initially, however, tolerance to this usually builds very quickly, often within a week or two when they are taken daily.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline itsryan1123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 08:56:08 AM »
This is a relatively normal reaction to any benzo. I personally don't feel really anything from lorazepam, and I have a 1mg prescription. However, .25mg of xanax absolutely knocks me out cold in 30 minutes. It all depends on what meds are right for you. Hopefully you will be started on something a little more long term though, such as an SSRI, because the benzo "as needed" can end up causing more harm than good if you stick with that method for too long. I hope you start feeling better, and find the right medication that helps you!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Blondie1984

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 12:10:11 PM »
Thanks y'all!

I have an appointment made for next week, so here's hoping all goes well.

Day 2 has been pretty tolerable. I haven't taken anything yet today. I did wake up to a minor attack, but I waited it out with some deep breathing and positive thinking. I didn't want to feel drowsy all morning when I had stuff that needed to get done. Also, since I had such a bad one during the day yesterday, I didn't want to take a dose when I might really need it later.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: