Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Ok freaking out now.. salivary gland vs lymph node?  (Read 313 times)

Offline marie204430

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Sad
    Sad
  • Trying to stop this cycle
    • Poke This Member
Ok freaking out now.. salivary gland vs lymph node?
« on: August 20, 2014, 08:15:09 PM »
I have two salivary glands in my neck that I assumed were enlarged and were lymph nodes...4 doctors felt them and said they're fine and 4 CBCs said I'm okay. Looked down my throat and stuff too.
Yesterday the doctor who examined me once again said they're salivary glands and then remarked something about a type of lymph node and how they'll get bigger and more sore if I keep touching them..which has happened. They got smaller for a while when I stopped then they got bigger again.She assured me I'm finee.
Now sometimes I feel a soreness in my neck and sometimes even a pain, especially on the right side. Especially after I had been touching them.
I've also had a bad taste in my mouth and more drainage but I assumed it was acid reflux because it flared up recently. I've also felt like I can feel my tonsils or something at the back of my throat more than usual? And sometimes get a pain there when swallowing. These pains got better after I stopped thinking about it for a few days now its back...

Now i'm confused what is what? If anyone has any info, please let me know..I'm freaking out.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Raaawr

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Ok freaking out now.. salivary gland vs lymph node?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 08:18:54 PM »
I have two salivary glands in my neck that I assumed were enlarged and were lymph nodes...4 doctors felt them and said they're fine and 4 CBCs said I'm okay. Looked down my throat and stuff too.
Yesterday the doctor who examined me once again said they're salivary glands and then remarked something about a type of lymph node and how they'll get bigger and more sore if I keep touching them..which has happened. They got smaller for a while when I stopped then they got bigger again.She assured me I'm finee.
Now sometimes I feel a soreness in my neck and sometimes even a pain, especially on the right side. Especially after I had been touching them.
I've also had a bad taste in my mouth and more drainage but I assumed it was acid reflux because it flared up recently. I've also felt like I can feel my tonsils or something at the back of my throat more than usual? And sometimes get a pain there when swallowing. These pains got better after I stopped thinking about it for a few days now its back...

Now i'm confused what is what? If anyone has any info, please let me know..I'm freaking out.

You need to calm down and relax!

4 Doctors, 4! Thats probably over 120 years of medical expertise that has told you, you are fine. Thats alot of years! Pains at the back of your throat could be anything 99.9% of them being absolute harmless. Pains that come and go are not something that you necessarily need to worry about. It means they are being aggravated by something, for example shouting. I am not saying in this case its shouting but you know what I mean. Quite simply, if 4 doctors have said the same thing, the 4 doctors are right.
Bookmark and Share
Since July 23rd 2014 I have had;
Brain Tumor, 5x Heart Attacks, 2x Blood clots in leg, 1 blood clot in Arm, 2x Appendicitis, Pulmonary Embolism, Brain Tumor, Internal Bleeding, Ebola.

Offline marie204430

Sad
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 08:21:03 PM »
But I have had a foul taste in my mouth! And I've heard that is a bad sign! I assumed it was acid reflux and I've had less of it lately honestly but idk!
What is a salivary gland vs lymph node though? Do they both get bigger from poking them?
Bookmark and Share

Offline marie204430

Sad
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 08:24:19 PM »
I had askeda bout lymphoma! What if they didn't know?
I also have a swollen lymph node behind my ear but I believe it only went up when I pushed on it and it was sore etc and it is going down for sure now but omg!!!!!!!!!! Sometimes when I swallow I feel like theres a crunch or like a bump or something.
Idk what to do!!!!!!!!!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Raaawr

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 08:34:11 PM »
But I have had a foul taste in my mouth! And I've heard that is a bad sign! I assumed it was acid reflux and I've had less of it lately honestly but idk!
What is a salivary gland vs lymph node though? Do they both get bigger from poking them?
Foul taste in your mouth could be a number of things. It could be a sign of tooth decay. It could be acid reflux. It could be something you ate. It could be a whole load of things! Is the taste there all the time?  I dont know what it is but I do know, if you poke anything enough you will injury it and it will get bigger as its part of healing process.

I had askeda bout lymphoma! What if they didn't know?
I also have a swollen lymph node behind my ear but I believe it only went up when I pushed on it and it was sore etc and it is going down for sure now but omg!!!!!!!!!! Sometimes when I swallow I feel like theres a crunch or like a bump or something.
Idk what to do!!!!!!!!!!!

They know, they are Doctors, they know more about it than you do. They have seen it. You are literally extracting pieces of information you think is relevant and adding it to your fears and using it as a method of confirming your fears. Fact is, you arent looking at the whole picture, your 4 doctors are, they know. You are just guessing blindly in the dark with a blindfold on and a match to try light the way.
Bookmark and Share
Brain Tumor, 5x Heart Attacks, 2x Blood clots in leg, 1 blood clot in Arm, 2x Appendicitis, Pulmonary Embolism, Brain Tumor, Internal Bleeding, Ebola.

Offline marie204430

Sad
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 08:37:48 PM »
I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO ANYMORE. I THOUGHT I WAS OVER THIS CRAP. IM SO SCARED...I DO HAVE MORE DRAINAGE THAN USUAL BUT I ASSUME THAT CAN BE ACID REFLUX TOO.
My nodes or glands or whatever they are (raaawr is there a difference between the two?) they get sore when I touch them..otherwise they don't really bother me much. Regardless, they're soft and movable.
I really agree you're right I'm just cherry picking symptoms BUT I JUST DON'T KNOW SOMETIMES THEY WONT TAKE ME SERIOUSLY BECAUSE I AM YOUNG. I AM SURE I HAVE CANCER.
SOMETIMES I FEEL A CLICKING IN MY THROAT WHEN I SWALLOW..BUT ONLY WHEN I SWALLOW A LOT AND PAY ATTENTION TO IT.
I WANT TO GO TO THE ER BUT IM IN CANADA SO IT WILL TAKE 8 HOURS OR SO TO BE SEEN  :'( and i don't want to spend my night in there...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Raaawr

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 08:42:09 PM »
My nodes or glands or whatever they are (raaawr is there a difference between the two?) they get sore when I touch them..otherwise they don't really bother me much. Regardless, they're soft and movable.
I have no idea about the difference. What I do know is, if you poke and prod at any soft tissue repeatedly its going to get sore.
I really agree you're right I'm just cherry picking symptoms BUT I JUST DON'T KNOW SOMETIMES THEY WONT TAKE ME SERIOUSLY BECAUSE I AM YOUNG. I AM SURE I HAVE CANCER.
But you cant be sure you have cancer if you agree with me. You're also not sure you have cancer because its just your anxiety telling you that you have cancer. You need to understand its anxiety talking and nothing else.
SOMETIMES I FEEL A CLICKING IN MY THROAT WHEN I SWALLOW..BUT ONLY WHEN I SWALLOW A LOT AND PAY ATTENTION TO IT.
I WANT TO GO TO THE ER BUT IM IN CANADA SO IT WILL TAKE 8 HOURS OR SO TO BE SEEN  :'( and i don't want to spend my night in there...
If it only happens when you pay attention to it its 100% cause by anxiety. It doesnt make sense for it to only happen when you think about it and it be something serious. If it was serious it would be happening all the time and you wouldnt be able to not think about it.

Go outside and go for a walk or something. Sitting inside on a computer is doing you no good, you are only feeding your anxiety and making yourself worse. Get off the computer for a while and go out and do something fun.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marie204430

Sad
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 08:47:23 PM »
BIT I SWEAR ONE SEEMS SLIGHTLY BIGGER BUT IDK. I ALWAYS ASSUMED THEY WERE NODES AND THATS WHY IT FELT BIGGER BUT IDK. IM NOT EVEN SURE....DAMN IT.
Bookmark and Share

Offline fishmanpa

• Rec's: 22
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 08:57:08 PM »
I had oral cancer, Stage IV... serious stuff. What you describe doesn't even remotely resemble it. Take that plus what 4 medical professionals have said and I'm sorry, but your fear doesn't have a leg to stand on.

There another member who is going through something similar. Several doctors and scans have shown nothing. and there is nothing "physically" wrong.

I've been on the boards just a short time but I've noticed your posts Marie. It makes me sad that such a young woman as yourself is struggling so much :( I have a daughter close or the same to your age (21). She suffers from anxiety and depression. Her Mom and I have helped her in getting her to a mental health professional and with that and meds, she's doing much better, In fact, she's returning to school and working again!

Are you doing anything to address the real problem which is anxiety? That's what needs to happen. When medical science proves nothing physically is wrong, what does that leave?

I'm a Trekkie... Spock said it best "If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Offline marie204430

Sad
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 09:10:28 PM »
I touched them again today and they feel the same size more or less..not anything crazy. And I'm sure I can't have cancer on both. One feels especially sore cuz I tend to touch that one more..
When I put my head down onto my chest, Sometimes I can feel the one on the right move around or something..and I can touch it. I haven't been able to do it so much to the left but I believe I have been able to before? What is that!?!

Thank you for the response Fishmanpa. I'm sorry to hear you had such a terrible disease..but glad you are rid of it. Its reassuring to know what I have doesn't sound like it :/ I still worry...idk. I am afraid I told the doctors to look for the wrong thing and they didn't know.
I have meds prescribed to me but I have been too scared to take them and can't afford a psychiatrist. Ugh. I'm glad to hear your daughter is doing better.

I have been trying to address the real problem..yesterday I felt great (well for most of the day) and felt no symptoms. And this morning I didn't feel any in my nodes/glands either. Then I worry again and here I am. What is worrying me is that I can feel the one in the right more than the left when I do the head down thing..But idk.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marie204430

Sad
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 09:23:54 PM »
I don't even know if its my gland now!! BUt I for sure feel a ball!! i think i used to feel it in my left but idk...
it feels like a tiny little ball and its really sore....could that be a node? it moves a bunch
Bookmark and Share

Offline Raaawr

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 09:26:04 PM »
Stop. Touching. Your. Face  :angry:

Seriously stop it. You are only making yourself more anxious. You have now had 4 Doctors and 1 person who has experienced the very thing you are afraid of tell you what you have is nothing like what you are worried about. You need to accept this information and stop poking and prodding.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marie204430

Sad
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 09:28:21 PM »
Can the ball thing be a lymph node? Its sore and is pea size which is how they're supposed to be I guess.

You are right...You totally are..just idk what is wrong with me. Mentally and physically
Bookmark and Share

Offline Raaawr

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 09:29:48 PM »
Can the ball thing be a lymph node? Its sore and is pea size which is how they're supposed to be I guess.

You are right...You totally are..just idk what is wrong with me. Mentally and physically

Physically nothing. Mentally, you have hypochondria to the point that its making you manic and you are letting it control you. Therapy would definitely be worth looking into.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marie204430

Sad
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 09:36:35 PM »
For once I googled it and people had that movable lump thing and it was a lymph node. It has all the characteristics of it so I'm going to stick with that.
I also heard cancer wouldn't be movable and it would be more rock hard. Plus would be visible more than just when I move my head a certain way..My acid reflux was getting better these past few days too.
You're totally right Raaawr, I really want to go to therapy but its around 300 an hour and if I get a referral (which I have tried), she said I am now on a waiting list and it can take more than year to be seen.
damn it..
Bookmark and Share

Tags: