Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Call back after mammogram  (Read 493 times)

Offline MmeMulot

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Call back after mammogram
« on: August 20, 2014, 03:02:38 PM »
I had a mammogram yesterday and just got a callback for more images. That's happened to me once before and it was fine, but of course I'm freaking out. I'm convinced I have breast cancer. A good friend and a coworker both had breast cancer last year, so it's really in my mind. My appt. isn't until Friday afternoon, so I have a couple of days to really fret.  :dazed: Help!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline marie204430

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Sad
    Sad
  • Trying to stop this cycle
    • Poke This Member
Re: Call back after mammogram
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 03:14:57 PM »
I've been called back before as well but it was for an ultrasound as they wouldn't do a mammogram on me because of my age.
Sometimes they just want to compare images. I think if it was something serious, they probably wouldn't have even have left you left the hospital! I've been there before where women couldn't leave because their mammogram showed something sinister. Odds are that you're fine. Try to relax as much as you can until Friday but update us after that :)
I hope everything goes well
Bookmark and Share

Offline cardinal

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 03:33:21 PM »
I'm sorry that you are going through this. When I had my last mammogram, I was told not to jump to conclusions if I get a call back because the overwhelming majority of call-back patients turn out fine. It sounds like you've been keeping up with your mammograms, which is another point in your favor. Perhaps try to focus on the fact that you've been through this before and all was well. That is most likely the case again. Chances are that you will get good news in a few days and can cross this off of your worry list for another year! Hang in there, and let us know.
Bookmark and Share

Online eva1227

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 03:36:06 PM »
I have been through this too many times to count! So many women are called back because digital mammograms result in so many false positives that have to be checked out. Over 90% of these require no action at all beside additional films and an ultrasound and perhaps a six month follow-up. Of the 10% that require a biopsy only a small percentage of those are found to be breast cancer.
So the odds are most definitely in your favor that this is nothing more than the usual call back that so many women, including yourself once before, gets all the time. As hard as it is going to be, try to think positively, as Friday is not that far off, and you will not have to wait for any results on that day.

I'm sure you will be fine.
Eva
Bookmark and Share

Offline cardinal

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 04:17:43 PM »
Eva,

Those were the statistics I was given as well. They provide good perspective.

At my last mammogram, I paid out-of-pocket for an additional 3D imaging test because I was told that if the radiologist needs to take a closer look, s/he can refer to the 3D imaging rather than calling me back. So I paid for the test to simply avoid the anxiety that would result from a call back. I've since read that the 3D tests, which I guess are being commonly offered, are controversial because they give you a double dose of radiation even if you don't need the extra testing. I don't know what the best option is for for us anxiety-prone types!
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 05:00:24 PM »
I had a mammogram yesterday and just got a callback for more images. That's happened to me once before and it was fine, but of course I'm freaking out. I'm convinced I have breast cancer. A good friend and a coworker both had breast cancer last year, so it's really in my mind. My appt. isn't until Friday afternoon, so I have a couple of days to really fret.  :dazed: Help!!

I've had call backs, three times.  I don't enjoy them either.  the last callback, the doc's office told me that my scan showed "increased density" over the previous years scans.  YIKES.  increased density sounds very, very  SUCKY.    :sprachlos020:    I had to wait TWO weeks for the diagnostic mammo and then ultrasound.  I was fit to be tied.   turns out it was a cyst.    I have come to find out my boobs are not only dense but cyst machines to boot.  sigh.  I go in september for my annual.  I am now on the mammo and ultrasound regime.  yes GOOD TIMES   Last years US showed 4 cysts or so.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Online eva1227

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 05:16:57 PM »
I wouldn't choose for the extra dose of radiation unless you are high risk or if they aren't really sure of their findings. Call backs are common and for the most part can be resolved through additional mammograms that focus directly on the area of concern and ultrasound.
I have gotten call backs so often that the technician at the diagnostic center knows me and we chat like old friends. She told me this year, that when I go for my annual next year, just have the doctor write "breast pain" on the referral so that I can go directly to the diagnostic center and cut out the screening center all together!! I was shocked. She said many doctors do this for anxious patients and patients who are constantly called back.

Friday will be here before you know it and you'll be fine and have a great weekend ahead!!
Eva
Bookmark and Share

Offline cardinal

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 05:37:04 PM »
Eva, thanks for the advice on the 3D imaging.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MmeMulot

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 06:31:01 PM »
Thank you so much to everyone for the replies. I'm trying not to spiral down the HA rabbit hole, but I can tell it's wanting to happen. I didn't feel any pain before, but now I've got a sharp pain in my left breast, the one they called about. I'm trying to tell myself that it got smushed yesterday by the machine, so it's no surprise it's sore, but of course I think it must be cancer now! I know the odds are in my favor, but it's hard to believe it's probably nothing when two friends were told their callbacks were probably nothing, but they were something.
Bookmark and Share

Offline cardinal

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 07:39:55 PM »
I completely understand why you would be worried after seeing the experience of your good friend and co-worker who were diagnosed with breast cancer. But you probably also know many, many more women who have gotten call backs and it was fine. You just don't hear about it because it was fine. The overwhelming odds are still in your favor.

My DH has ongoing medical issues (real ones) and has undergone a lot of medical tests for scary things. Unfortunately this has become part of life. The anxiety is almost always worse than the outcome.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MmeMulot

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 01:04:40 PM »
I feel like I'm about to jump out of my skin today. I did NOT sleep well last night. I wanted somebody to go with me to the appointment to help keep me calm, but neither of my two best friends can go with me (one has a job interview then!), so I'll have to go by myself.
Bookmark and Share

Offline cardinal

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 08:05:53 PM »
I'm sorry that you will have to go by yourself, but you will make it through. Plenty of other women in the waiting room will be there for call backs too. You can post here and folks on the board will support you. Perhaps you can do some breathing exercises tomorrow? You can do this.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MmeMulot

• Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 08:58:32 PM »
I was able to get a friend to go with me, so that's a relief.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MmeMulot

• Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 06:07:57 PM »
Everything was normal on the followup mammogram! Yay! They said it was probably overlapping breast tissue on the initial mammogram.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 06:33:09 PM »
well I think you need to have a chat with the "old ladies" and tell them, in the future, they need to lay good and F-L-A-T from here on out during the SQUEEZE test.   None of this folding up on themselves.   :P

I am glad everything turned out well for you.   ;D

I have to schedule mine soon too.  UGH

Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Tags: