Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Therapy  (Read 136 times)

Offline Katiesue04

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • You only live once!
    • Poke This Member
Therapy
« on: August 20, 2014, 12:44:23 PM »
I have been going to therapy since the beginning of May.  Last time she said she wanted to extend my appointments out to a month.  At the very end of the session.  So I really didn't have time to react or think about it I just responded ok.  Last week Monday I got a call from the therapist office and I couldn't answer but they didn't leave a message. Thought it was odd because I didn't have an appointment that day.  Today I got a call from them again and apparently my therapist is really sick and took the rest of the day off today.  My appointment was supposed to be at 3:45.  I hope my therapist feels better, it sucks to be sick.  They said they would try and fit me in next week which I highly doubt because I guess I am not a high risk case anymore.  I don't think my therapist and I are on the same page.  I was going to tell her this session but now I have to wait two weeks.  How the heck do I get through the next two weeks.  Ugh!
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Therapy
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 09:57:46 PM »
I'm sorry :( That's really stressful.  Maybe journaling out a theoretical "session" with her when you're having a hard time. What you're feeling and what you imagine she might say or suggest in that situation? I kind of mentally bounce things off in my head as though I were talking to my psychiatrist.

I too have therapy only once per month, although that is more my choice so a bit different than in your case. I have therapy with my psychiatrist, so she has a higher patient panel than a typical therapist. we had discussed me going to see an actual therapist weekly or every other week for awhile, but I have a good connection with her now, that I don't really want to alter that paradigm right now (not to mention the expense!) But I've been lucky that I've never had a cancellation.

Maybe if things get really rough see if your primary care doc can fit you in for an appointment? It's not therapy, but as a family practice physician assistant I assure you that we are no strangers to anxiety, depression, life stress, we see patients with it all the time.I don't know if that would help you, but again, it's an option to consider.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 10:00:40 PM »
I wanted to add too: it sounds like you were really taken off guard by extending the appointments, and May is not such a long time to be in therapy. If you feel you would still benefit from weekly or twice monthly therapy, I would be open and discuss it with her. therapy is actually a good place to practice being assertive, to get your needs known. As I said, therapy once a month is MY choice because I feel my psychiatrist can benefit me more once a month than someone else at this point more frequently. But you weren't given much of a chance to consider what choice is best for you. Be up front and tell her how you had a hard time with this abrupt shift. Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Katiesue04

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • You only live once!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 05:31:25 PM »
Thank you ancient for your response!  Only a week and a half to go!  I think I can make it.  It will definitely be something I need to discuss with her.  I booked myself a massage for Tuesday to celebrate making it three weeks.  Trying to keep my mind off my anxiety the best I can until I can get in to see her and I am trying not to over-analyze everything ugh!
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 09:38:22 PM »
Sounds like you're doing a good job handling this so far. Great plan on booking a massage ! :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: