Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Afraid of ISIS and terrorism  (Read 1178 times)

Offline ope211

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Afraid of ISIS and terrorism
« on: August 20, 2014, 02:23:25 AM »
This is my second post in a few days...but I don't know what else to do.
I had friends die in 9/11 and the pain of that day and everything that followed is very very raw for me. Now I have been reading about poor James Foley and ISIS and what they're threatening. I'm afraid that they might carry out another 9/11 size attack on the US soon. None of the news is encouraging. I have a flight to NYC on Friday and I just feel absolutely sick with fear. I know there were signs before 9/11 (like Ahmed Shah Massoud's assassination) that were ignored. I am so terrified history will repeat itself.
The whole world seems like such a threatening, scary place right now.  :traurig001: Like all of the good people are being beaten down by the actions of so few.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: Afraid of ISIS and terrorism
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 06:48:01 AM »
I can't see the American government ignoring any possible threats ever again. With 9/11 they ignored what was before their eyes and are still paying the price. So if they feel a person is a threat they will move in quickly and that it more serious this time around. Airports will be on high alert too. Have to get people on a plane in order to take control of one. They will have studied all angles this time around. Now is probably the safest time to fly whilst they are aware of this nutter.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 07:56:07 AM »
9/11 was a turning point from which many have not recovered, me included. Now we have these barbarians making headway. We think we're so advanced with our science and technology, our smiley faces, over the top sentimentalities, hyper politeness, and single acts of heroism here and there. Has religion helped? Do laws help? How about much touted social media? What does all the easy and profuse imagery do to people?

Now there is violence right here as the sins of the past resurface once again (Missouri). They could erupt anywhere with incited tempers. It seems hopeless. To calm myself I turn to yoga, tai chi, meditation, to journaling. Do my best not to watch the news, the tragic refugees. On my walks I see mothers and fathers pushing little ones in carriages. They are so adorable, so innocent. What is in store for them? As to flying, I hated it in better times, but flew when I had to and hoped for the best. Nothing else to do.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Peanut the kidnapper (UK)

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 11:56:51 AM »
I’m pleased that someone else has chosen to share this worry on this website. I had to avoid the 24 hour news channels for a couples of weeks following the shooting down of the Malaysian airliner because it was making me even more anxious than usual, and I’ve since been trying to re-introduce myself to short doses of news only to find that the conflict in Syria hasnot peacefully resolved itself and Iraq’s looking like a less than successful advert for western foreign policy.

I don’t think 24 hour news channels help. Besides the criticisms levelled at them by more ordinary people, as someone suffering from GAD I find the reporting on them to be extremely anxiety heightening. When I was growing up the news was on TV a couple of times a day, the reporting had gravitas, and the brutality of conflict was portrayed in a honest way - we saw dead bodies on the news but in a way that emphasized the horror of war without sensationalizing it.  The main UK 24 hour new channels tend not to show the bodies these days. Instead they ramp up the emotional content of they reports; we see crying families without really getting an appreciation of what it is they’re crying for, reporters result to sensationalist clichés to describe the situation, the same stories are smashed into us on a repeating loop with little or no new content added each time leaving us (or me at least) desperate to know what’s really happening, etc. Don’t get me wrong there is some good reporting out there (BBC4 do a good world news program, with balanced reporting and a measured, reassuring, tone), but most of it doesn’t do me any good psychologically.

I find it hard to achieve a balance between satisfying my curiosity about the world and unintentionally increasing my anxiety levels.

Best of luck with your flight ope211.
Bookmark and Share

Offline BrookeAshley1

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • I may not know where I'm going but I'm on my way.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 12:13:36 PM »
I'm not sure why I keep checking CNN, cause I feel the same way you do. Its really sickening to read about the stuff going on. But I do agree with the other posters about post 9/11. I think the best thing to do is try and stay away from the news so that you aren't bombarded with negative news in regards to terrorism and well just every other thing going on right now. News doesn't report any good things happening in the world, because it doesn't bring in as many viewers. So, all you're going to hear is really bad things over and over.

Try to enjoy your trip and don't let something like this ruin it for you. Sorry to hear you are struggling.
Bookmark and Share
Giving up is always an option, but it is never my choice.

Offline superapple

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 05:16:06 AM »
I am fed up of all of it i'm just going to stop watching the news though
Bookmark and Share
If I don't reply to your post send me a PM with the link to the post or send me the message :)

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 08:19:44 AM »
Now they are forcing young boys to do their dirty work. They have members with foreign passports.

How can anyone overcome anxiety, depression, despair, etc. when evil rises again and again.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 06:38:48 AM »
Their members are people from all over the world. What they done was placed people in various countries. Had them educated. Then these people come back home. Speaking with a clear English accent and various other accents too. They all share the same cause. But they are a mixed bag of Nationalities. You let these people into your Country. Educate them. Employ them. Teach them new things. Then they use what they have learned against you. What you might have taught them. In your own home country.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 08:37:38 AM »
You have a handle on all of it and yet can help people here. Remarkable.

Feel like I'm losing ground. Try to watch as little news as possible. It is mostly so dismal. Here there is a terrible drought in CA. Racial flareups that could spread. See Muslim women covered up as never before. No problem there, but what are the men up to? The economy cannot provide the necessary jobs. Am inclined to fault technology, social media which incites people. To what end? Turn to meditation and repeat mantras for reassurance.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 09:39:42 AM »
All these Muslim men go to so called prayer meetings. But it is not praying they are doing. Most of those selected are young. The people brought into your Country are there to recruit these younger males. Not all Muslims are bad. But I do think most are fully aware of the secret teachings that go whilst the true Muslims are praying. Like ' what you can't see won't harm you '. They know it is happening and they ignore it. The people teaching these younger recruits tell what they should study in college. Why? Because they want certain people with certain skills. Only way this problem will ever fix itself is when genuine Muslims begin to inform of the other Muslims. That is something we have yet to see. We have heard the words ' we had no idea it was going on ' a hundred times or more. The only ones who can break the cycle are Muslims. But they never want to inform on people of their own faith.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 11:03:10 AM »
Well, this is fertile territory with plenty of malcontents, no work, no goals, violence, corruption. You are so correct about peaceful Muslims not speaking up. But the aggressors would only silence them anyway.

Has anything ever changed in centuries of evolution? Except for handy inventions such as electricity, plumbing, heating, cooling, stoves, vacuum cleaners, libraries, self-help sites like this, human nature is essentially unchanged. The hypocrisy of the cheery fronts, glaring smiles, excessive politeness, joking, laughing, hyper entertainment, etc. in the midst of horrific suffering wants me to hide in the closet. The fear, the worries, anxieties, etc. are near impossible to overcome. Keep exploring ways to check out if (or when) any of those madmen get ahold of the ultimate weapon. You'll be safe, far away, at least for a while.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 12:57:03 PM »
What exactly do you think these madmen are learning in our colleges? How to build the ultimate weapon. Just look at what courses they all seem to study. Not your average courses. These people want to learn how to build things. Most certainly not talking about building water pistols or anything like that. They learn over here and go home armed with knowledge. Is easy to get the parts that they need to build weapons that without their education they would have had no idea how to build. Use the West to learn. Use the East to build. Then use what you build in the East against the West.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 04:09:38 PM »
If I'm not mistakes one (or more) of the killers on 9/11 had taken flying lessons here. Just what you're saying. They are well funded, make no secrets of their intentions.

Wish we could help OP and the rest of us shaking in our boots.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 04:50:53 PM »
Racial profiling is not allowed. It is deemed wrong. That would be to keep an eye on set group of people. In this case Muslims. You are not meant to be allowed do it. The rules have to go out the window at times. Muslims never inform on other Muslims. Be they the most evil people around and planning something. They turn a blind eye on it. So it is up to governments around the world to keep an eye on these people. That is not saying they are all bad. But rather safe than sorry. Check out what they are studying for a start. Most do chemistry and the likes for obvious reasons. I would also like to see the rooms of all places of prayer bugged. Again it would deemed illegal by the UN and groups like that. We have to accept that not only prayers go on in these places. You have radical Muslims who do recruit and are allowed used these buildings to do so. Some of the more radical ones are well known. But there are thousands more who are unknown. Could be living next door to us. I do think the rule book should be thrown out the window. It is hard to watch so many people. Millions live in the west. I would be creating a data base to begin with. Keep it up to date with what the younger ones are studying. So you may know a future terrorist. Show certain traits. Studying chemistry and attending meetings with radical Muslims. It is all against the law. But at times you must fight fire with fire.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2014, 07:54:19 AM »
You sure know a lot. Must read those spy books or law books. Can you give your services to whoever is going to stand up to these barbarians? They need all the help they can get to wipe them out.

I'm afraid to watch the news on account of them.
Bookmark and Share