Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: How many Cts and X-rays have you all had  (Read 283 times)

Offline Masond_06

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
How many Cts and X-rays have you all had
« on: August 19, 2014, 08:18:02 PM »
I'm generally curious how many CT scans and X-rays everyone has had. I for one use to want them as I didn't know the risks involved with having them done. It was a way to ease my anxiety. Looking back I regret it and wished the doctor would have discussed things with me. The only way I found out the real dangers was a tech had told me to be careful with all that I've had. I don't know exact but estimates are 4 head cts and maybe 5 abdominal cts and a handful of X-rays. Of course as anxiety would go I know worry about the things all the tests that eased my anxiety have now caused it. I worry about the damage to the cells and what ailments it will cause; cancer, als, etc. Just curious on how many others have had
Bookmark and Share

Offline Raaawr

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: How many Cts and X-rays have you all had
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 08:20:38 PM »
What are the dangers of CT scans? I didnt know there was any?

I have never had a CT scan. A Doctor once "offered" me one but I declined and went home. I have had X-Rays done but only ever on actual broken limbs. 2 Arms, 2 Legs, Ankle, Wrist, Finger and 2 Skull X-Rays. Yup, broken all those as well as a few dental X-Rays thrown in for good measure.
Bookmark and Share
Since July 23rd 2014 I have had;
Brain Tumor, 5x Heart Attacks, 2x Blood clots in leg, 1 blood clot in Arm, 2x Appendicitis, Pulmonary Embolism, Brain Tumor, Internal Bleeding, Ebola.

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 08:23:59 PM »
What are the dangers of CT scans? I didnt know there was any?

I have never had a CT scan. A Doctor once "offered" me one but I declined and went home. I have had X-Rays done but only ever on actual broken limbs. 2 Arms, 2 Legs, Ankle, Wrist, Finger and 2 Skull X-Rays. Yup, broken all those as well as a few dental X-Rays thrown in for good measure.

CTscans and x-rays have raditation in them.  MRIs don't.  that test uses magnets.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline seemeblue

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 08:28:07 PM »
None since I was in a car accident years and years ago. I had X-rays done as a kid, of course, and an upper GI of my stomach when I was pretty young. CT scan was done of my head after I was in that car accident...

The risk of getting cancer from CT scans is pretty low ( I don't know about X-Ray radiation levels), but it seems like a slippery slope to me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jazeraca

• Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 09:07:57 PM »
3 CT scans of the head, possibly 4 xrays of my chest, 1 of my stomach, 1 of my intenstines, 1 of my cervical spine and maybe a couple more  I don't remember.
Bookmark and Share
Dx: GAD, DESNOS, Fibro and other physical issues. Nothing serious, but of course my anxious mind will often find something very serious as with other things in my life. Anxiety is a fraud. Anxiety is not YOU or ME, it is an illness.

Offline beagle_scout

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 09:54:13 PM »
I had one chest X-ray last year when I went to the ER for chest pain.  I recently had a neck X-ray for neck pain.  I had multiple back X-rays as a pre-teen to keep an eye on potential scoliosis.  No CTs.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 10:18:36 PM »
I've actually never had a CT or X-ray for anxiety-related things.  Two CTs for actual health concerns, and x-rays with bronchitis and pre-surgery stuff.  I've had two brain MRIs that turned out to be unnecessary as my symptoms were likely drug withdrawal combined with worrying about said symptoms, though.
Bookmark and Share

Online rileybug

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 12:12:50 AM »
about 12 in the last 3 years-vertually 2-3 x rays as a kid.  I dont worry to much about radation since i'm 65  and  its probably not going to be what gets me,
Bookmark and Share

Offline sickofsickness

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 12:19:18 AM »
Radiation differs depending on the region. X-rays are less harmful than CTs, Xrays on your extremities are negligible. The most risky is a CT on your abdomen. I remember once I went to the ER with reeeeeally bad abdominal pain and basically begged for one and the doctor refused,  saying it was too much radiation for someone who seems healthy. It's something done only when absolutely necessary. But even with that the risk isn't overwhelming.

Anyway I had one CT for my head 7 years ago. Have had lots of Xrays recently though, probably 8 or so in the last year. I do regret those because in the end they showed nothing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 29
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 01:02:37 AM »
Sixpack!  When did you get back?! 

Masond_06 - After 5 abdominal CT scans, I would probably slow down on those unless your doc feels one is absolutely necessary. That said, I've looked this up before and the actual risk of you developing cancer because of those scans is still very small. I'll try to find the link - I posted it ages ago - but I remember I stopped worrying completely after reading it. (I've had 1 abdominal CT scan with and without contrast, a chest CT scan, a sinus CT scan, about 8 mammograms, maybe a dozen x-rays and countless dental x-rays.)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jazeraca

• Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 06:54:48 AM »
Well, the CT scans I had of my head were medically necessary. I don't think I've ever had a scan or xray for reassurance.  I live in Canada and all diagnostic tests the doctor must think are necessary.

The first CT scan I had a concussion so they wanted to make sure it wasn't too severe, the second I was waking up with SEVERE headaches and vomiting (I was really, really scared until that came back clear, even though my GP said it was very unlikely to be a BT) and the third time I had very bad vertigo and they wanted to rule a stroke out, and they did (it turned out to be BPPV).

Bookmark and Share
Dx: GAD, DESNOS, Fibro and other physical issues. Nothing serious, but of course my anxious mind will often find something very serious as with other things in my life. Anxiety is a fraud. Anxiety is not YOU or ME, it is an illness.

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 07:13:08 AM »
June, I think, Slang.

---------------------

As I always tell people who say "just go get X test to ease your mind,"  dx testing aren't necessarily risk free.  Even if the test, itself, holds no risk, often med testing lead to increased/unnecessary biopsies etc.   The testing you've had will only raise your risk negligibly.  However, it is important not go running off demanding testing out of some sense of "peace of mind".  The REAL damage won't be the radiation ( I mean many cancers are treated with it).  The real damage is that it makes anxiety worse in the end.

Having said those lovely things.  Out of fear  I believe I have had two x-rays "for peace of mind"---one was sinus and one was a dental.  I've had 2 brain MRIs and one ultrasound  for "reassurance"

I have never had a ct scan.  All of my med testing containing radiation, over the years have been, x-rays for actual injuries, dental x-rays and annual mammograms.  I have had mris of my back, ultrasounds, blood work, EMG, NCS and 2 uterine biopsies for diagnostic purposes.  I have an eye condition for which I am followed and have had an eye test twice that requires dye injected into my blood to do.  I have had 1 colonoscopy (age related)

finally:     Diagnostic testing is necessary for people everyday..  they shouldn't be avoided when there is ACTUAL medical need.   
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 07:36:07 AM »
Well, the CT scans I had of my head were medically necessary. I don't think I've ever had a scan or xray for reassurance.  I live in Canada and all diagnostic tests the doctor must think are necessary.

The first CT scan I had a concussion so they wanted to make sure it wasn't too severe, the second I was waking up with SEVERE headaches and vomiting (I was really, really scared until that came back clear, even though my GP said it was very unlikely to be a BT) and the third time I had very bad vertigo and they wanted to rule a stroke out, and they did (it turned out to be BPPV).

Docs, even in the US, have to justify any scan too.  if, not, insurance won't cover them.  it doesn't mean they aren't for "reassurance" or are really "necessary"   docs are very good at 1. writing things up to get insurance to pay OR in a Canadian's case the government  to pay,  2. covering their backsides, JUST in case they are incorrect or because they want to be UBER cautious.   So if a person comes in hysterical or says the "right" things, just about any test will get approved. 

I will give you the perfect example of what I mean:  In 2009 I was convinced I had MS.  I finally went to the neurologist.  The doc did his thing.  he said I don't think it is MS.  I think it is certain back issues.  I am going to order cervical mri for the back issue I believe you have.  I am going to order a brain mri for reassurance for you.  Now, sixpack, I am going to put in the diagnostic coding "possible MS", not because I think it IS MS but I have to code it that way for insurance.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 07:38:22 AM »
A few x-rays and no CT scans as of yet, just a few MRI's.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 07:40:06 AM »
I forgot I had a barium enema and a nuclear stress test in the past which involve higher doses of radiation.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Tags: