Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Dental Phobia Anxiety  (Read 217 times)

Offline Blondie1984

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Dental Phobia Anxiety
« on: August 19, 2014, 04:07:41 PM »
I have an extreme phobia of the dentist. As a child I had multiple negative experiences, which lead to adult me's phobia.

Last week I noticed a sore spot on my gums, which lead to a lot of panicking that day, but by the evening I was relaxed again. As the days passed, I kept track of the issue to make sure it wasn't a bigger problem, but gradually it started to feel as if my mouth was getting tighter. It's as if my focus on my mouth is creating unnecessary anxiety. I constantly feel like something is out of place, when in reality nothing is different. My tongue feels slightly swollen, but that might be an anxiety symptom (according to google).

Typically my anxiety is manageable and only manifests itself in small doses, but this time is different. I wake up with severe anxiety and it's lasting all day long. I'm constantly drinking water, but the anxiety is causing dry mouth, which makes me focus on my mouth even more. I've barely eaten in the past 2 days because I'm so nauseous. After a wave of anxiety starts to ebb, I get exhausted and have to nap. Waking up from the nap begins the process all over again.

I don't know what to do. I feel like I'm going crazy and just want to feel "normal" again.  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nellie

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Dental Phobia Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 07:14:43 AM »
Sorry to hear you're having this problem.
I too have this, my tongue feels swollen and has ridges.
I'm not a good one to give advice, but you could do some things that help relieve some of the feelings. There are mouthwashes and toothpastes for dry mouth that might help that. The other thing I notice is that when I'm anxious I clench my jaws which makes my mouth smaller and my tongue feel larger. It helps to relax the jaw and do some mindfulness meditation. Sometimes massaging the jaw and throat helps too.

Good luck.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Blondie1984

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Dental Phobia Anxiety
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 12:56:17 PM »
I had to face my fears and go to the dentist today.

Last night I wound up in an Urgent Care facility because that "out of place" feeling turned in to full pressure and pain. Turns out I have an abscessed tooth. I did take lorazepam before my appointment, so I wasn't too freaked out. The assistants and hygienists were lovely, but the dentist himself wasn't a kind man. I wound up in tears, so I may be switching to a new person.  :sick0002:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: