Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety vs. Anxiety Disorder  (Read 210 times)

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety vs. Anxiety Disorder
« on: August 19, 2014, 02:53:18 PM »
So, my question is, what are the differences between anxiety one may feel from everyday stressors and an anxiety disorder?
How are anxiety disorders diagnosed?
Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

• Rec's: 57
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety vs. Anxiety Disorder
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 03:33:56 PM »
Hi,

For me, it is a matter of intensity and duration . . . we all feel anxious and/or anxiety from everyday stressors, but for some of us, these become embedded in our psychological processing and so they continue over the long term and intensify and become more complex. One of the nicest articles that I have read about the differences is posted on a mental health blog for college students (http://www.ulifeline.org/articles/439-anxiety-vs-anxiety-disorders). I found it when I was trying to find a way to help a new university student to distinguish between the two . . .  having come from a very protective environment, he was somewhat overwhelmed at the new experiences and immediately interpreted the new experiences as anxiety . . . in any case, check it out and it is a good question because I have seen incidents where everyday stressors become a fixating point that has caused true episodes of prolonged anxiety . . .thanks for asking the question . . .take care, kc

p.s.  how anxiety disorders are diagnosed is really a balance between art and science and, unfortunately, sometimes the doctor is a great scientist but misses the information that is coming to him or her indirectly so that the diagnosis may not be exactly the right one . . .for the way the diagnosis is made in general, you may want to check out http://www.webmd.boots.com/anxiety-panic/tc/anxiety-diagnosis
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety vs. Anxiety Disorder
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 10:51:30 PM »
Thank you Kc, very informative information; so anxiety can be a normal experience as long as it is fleeting, when it becomes chronic or more than what the situation warrants, then it is a disorder.  Also, anxiety disorders present with physical symptoms. Avoidance can also indicate a disorder.  Nice to know it is one of the most treatable conditions (of mental health issues).

Again, thank you! That answered my question!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: