Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Had a Moment with Nyquil  (Read 1927 times)

Offline Blondie1984

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Had a Moment with Nyquil
« on: August 19, 2014, 11:06:19 AM »
Yesterday I experienced multiple panic attacks, which made it feel like the entire day was just one major attack. I normally avoid sleep aids and the like, but by bedtime I was too worried about being kept up by the panic attacks, I was willing to take something to help me sleep.

We were all out of (non-habit forming) sleep aids, so I resorted to Nyquil. The moment I got in to bed, my mind realized that I just self-medicated with a substance that can be addictive. It was definitely a big slap in the face. While I did get some sleep, it wasn't peaceful and I woke up to an even worse panic attack.

Addiction is a big problem in my family. 3 out of 4 of my grandparents were addicts, as well as my brother. It's not a road I want to go down, but now I can see how it can easily happen. To put it plainly, it sucks. >:(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snoopy10

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Had a Moment with Nyquil
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 09:05:25 AM »
That's amazing you can even take NyQuil, it makes me anxious! As does cold medication, pain pills and anything else that makes  most people chill out.

I am the same, I don't have panic attacks per se, each day can be one long panic attack.  Before I started meds sleep was a big problem for me. No sleep means more anxiety for me so I was desperate for sleep.  I can relate!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Blondie1984

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 09:34:55 AM »
Most cold and allergy medications make me jittery at first, then have a super sedative-like effect, even the non-drowsy stuff. Normally I have to feel like I'm dying and it's my last resort before I'll take any.

That's how my attacks are. They'd last all day long, with a few minutes here and there that were more tolerable. Sleep is a double-edged sword because I know I'll get a break when sleeping, but I always wake up with the worst anxiety.

I did end up going to the dr. a couple of days after that post and started taking medication. Been great since. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snoopy10

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 10:51:53 AM »
That is great news! Which meds are you on? (If you don't mind me asking) I wonder why we wake up with anxiety?  I am the same, I love my sleep but I do wake up with dread a lot.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Blondie1984

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 01:20:55 PM »
I've been told that the hormone that the body uses to wake us up from sleeping is the same that triggers anxiety...or something like that.

I'm on Buspar 7.5mgs 2x a day for my GAD. I have a prescription for lorazepam to take as-needed.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snoopy10

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 12:35:45 AM »
Sounds like a good meds plan. Interesting on the sleep, makes sense!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: