Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Working myself up again  (Read 135 times)

Offline PantsyAntsy

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Working myself up again
« on: August 18, 2014, 11:43:37 PM »
I've had slightly enlarged, normal looking lymph nodes in both armpits for a year and a half now. The biggest is 1.5 cm, which is slightly smaller than the last time I had them ultrasounded. I have had them monitored periodically and have had a second opinion, as well as numerous radiologists looking at these nodes. No one has been overly concerned by them and I got to the point where I stopped worrying about them too.

Today, I went to the breast surgeon for a checkup. She told me they look healthy on ultrasound but then gave me this spiel about how ultrasound is an imperfect tool and these things aren't going away and now is the time to get more aggressive about ruling out cancer. I was like  :sprachlos020: She recommends CAT scan or PET scan to investigate my entire chest cavity, to check for breast cancer and she also mentioned the importance of ruling out lymphoma.

I have handled this well ever since the appointment, until now. Everyone in my house is asleep, and this is giving me time to google-- never a good thing. I basically begged for a biopsy like a year and a half ago and no one wanted to do it because I was pregnant. NOw, I am letting my mind wander to cancer again. I am fixing on lymphoma  :( The doctor told me she is not "really"concerned that I have cancer in these nodes, but she is not infallible and there have been a few times in her 10 years as an oncological surgeon that she has been surprised by benign looking nodes.

She said it will take a while to get approval for the PET scan, so it's not like the testing is imminent. I have to figure out a way to keep any fear I have buried way down deep. I have 3 kids, one is 7 months old, the other two start school next week, and I have to be on my game to deal with them and the change in routine and the balancing act. Plus, my husband is not good about my HA, (my friends are not supportive either), so unfortunately I have to keep it suppressed. I have also googled and read that PET scans aren't even good for masses less than 2 cm, which mine are, so I am already second guessing the doctor. If I put myself through this testing, I just want an actual answer.  Don't know what I'm looking for exactly...just typing it out.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 223
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: Working myself up again
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 06:57:03 AM »
my gyno is a "test-o-holic"  too.  I almost hate answering her questions because it almost always turns into  some test.   I mean it is good to have a doc that is proactive, but.......

I have gotten to , with regard to my gyno is this:

Okay doc, I will do the test.  I treat it as if she is just uber cautious.   If it makes her happy.....   :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline PantsyAntsy

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Working myself up again
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 01:02:46 PM »
That is a good way of looking at it...she is just REALLY cautious.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: