Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Continuous Foot Twitches  (Read 193 times)

Offline Buzzy

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Continuous Foot Twitches
« on: August 18, 2014, 10:35:02 PM »
I have a constant twitch in my left foot.  I don't notice it while I'm walking or moving, but when I sit and relax, it's always presents.  It has been following this daily pattern for over two months now.

I try and accept BFS as the problem, but then I read about ALS starting in one spot, with very fine twitches, and stays in that spot.  That fits my twitching to a T.

I don't have real weakness.  I can walk, jog and get around.  Every so often, I will trip over something with my left foot, but it is usually something raised and inch or two above the floor.

My GP said it is not ALS, back in March.

My Neuro said he was 99% sure it isn't ALS in May and felt I didn't need an EMG.

My question is, if it started twitching in the same spot daily a couple of months ago, would I be seeing other, consistent symptoms, other than the irregular trip, by now?
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: Continuous Foot Twitches
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 07:17:01 AM »
first you don't have als.

secondly, have a look around this site.  you will find thousands of posts about twitching---all over or just one spot.  this is common with anxiety.

thirdly- don't google, 'look stuff up' or any other sort of research about a disease you don't have.  all you accomplish is working your mind up which just makes twitching or whatever else you are scared of worse.

finally.  people twitch because of stress/anxiety, muscle over use or just nerves getting nervy.  if you want to call it bfs, then call it that.  bottom line, though, twitching  isn't a big deal.   It can be all over, in one area, be in one area then move somewhere else.  it can  be seen by others or only felt.  it can be a ripple, roll, flutter, a tremor, or spasm-like.

no matter what your anxious thinking may tell you, it isn't a reality.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Online ShawnW

• Rec's: 22
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 09:35:59 AM »
I would venture a guess that nearly everyone on the planet twitches in their arches from time to time...the anxious more so.  Arch twitching is probably the most common place for anxious twitchers right behind the eye.  Instead of worrying about a symptom how about addressing your anxiety head on?
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline Buzzy

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 08:49:54 AM »
Another month with days nights full of twitching.

I'm trying to stay positive, waiting for my 12 month check up next May. 

Thank you to those who replied to my original post and thank you in advance to those who might reply this time.  I appreciate the time you all take to respond with your thoughts.

Here's my update.  I continue to twitch in my left foot daily.  I notice it much more on the evening, or when I'm not moving.  For the first time, I felt it while standing still a couple of weeks ago.  It stopped,  or at least I think it stopped, when I started walking around.  The twitch is still light, mostly confined to my left arch.

The past few days have brought on twitches in both shoulders.  I haven't felt them both at the same time but they seem to move from one shoulder to the other.  Usually behind my right shoulder and in front of my left.

I still walk well, with the very, very occasional trip over something, although I haven't come close to actually falling.

My left middle finger has become stiff, hard to bend, and sore to squeeze on the last joint.  Likewise, my left index finger is sore to squeeze on the middle joint.  I am 47, and my mother has terrible arthritis in her fingers, so I'm hoping that's what is starting with me.  I've read in a few of places that ALS doesn't present with pain in finger joints, so I'm hoping that's correct.

Every once in a while, I'll drop things, especially with my left hand.  Usually light things like a t shirt, or sock, usually with the left hand that is experiencing the finger stiffness.  That said, I can still put lids on things, pick things up off my desk and tie my shoes, although the fingers actually hurt a little when I tie my shoes.

I am ver, very right handed and have never been very coordinated with my left hand, so I try and takethatinto consideration when I start to worry about things.

Hopefully, this is still in line with BFS and not ALS. 

I am constantly squelching the desire to call my nuero and move up my appointment and/or ask for an EMG.  I tell myself that I would be much more deteriorated by this time, seven months from my original scare, and that I should just wait until May when I'm scheduled.

Does anyone else experience these type of symptoms or have any advice after hearing this update?

Thank you all so much.

Buzzy
Bookmark and Share

Tags: BFS ALS