Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: ratchety movement of feet - signs of PD?  (Read 110 times)

Online Rasalhauge

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
ratchety movement of feet - signs of PD?
« on: August 18, 2014, 08:04:09 PM »
I feel so ashamed for doing this, since I'm constantly preaching about how bad this reassurance-seeking is. But I admit, I fell down the rabbit hole yet again.

I tried to stretch my feet, since they've been cramping throughout the day. One thing I did was circular rotations of the feet (with the foot in the air, ankle rotation basically) when I did this I noticed that I couldn't get a smooth motion going. No matter how hard I try, there's this almost ratchety/cogwheel-like motion. The slower I do it, the more noticeable it gets. Is this normal?

I know cogwheel-like movements of ankle/wrists are a symptom associated with Parkinsonian rigidity. But, my logic tells me that I could experience this not due to rigidity, but rather lack of coordination/lack of training/tension. Basically a combination of lack of training and anxiety symptoms. Could the latter be right?
Bookmark and Share
“There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy.”

- Dante Alighieri

Offline AlaskaMom

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: ratchety movement of feet - signs of PD?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 08:42:53 PM »
I just tried to move my ankle in a circular motion and it moved like a jagged and rusty shopping cart wheel. So either we are both doomed, or that's normal for an ankle joint. It seemed to be better the faster I went, but slowed down and you could feel each ligament "popping".  Hope your HA feels better! : )
Bookmark and Share

Online Rasalhauge

• Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 08:48:27 PM »
I just tried to move my ankle in a circular motion and it moved like a jagged and rusty shopping cart wheel. So either we are both doomed, or that's normal for an ankle joint. It seemed to be better the faster I went, but slowed down and you could feel each ligament "popping".  Hope your HA feels better! : )

Thanks for the reply, I know (the first time in ages I can say that and mean it) that it probably isn't something to worry about. It's an unnatural movement that takes practice to perform with fluency. I know floorball goalkeepers practice that alot, for ankle mobility I think:)
Bookmark and Share
“There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy.”

- Dante Alighieri

Offline Chloe1990

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 04:26:46 AM »
I'm the same , I've moved both my ankles and my wrists. They are both ratchety and not smooth at all. They also make a grinding noise!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: