Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Starting Zoloft today  (Read 277 times)

Offline Zooey1023

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Starting Zoloft today
« on: August 18, 2014, 05:33:11 PM »
My doctor has prescribed me 25 mg of Zoloft and .5 of kolonopin for my anxiety. I am really nervous of starting the Zoloft because of all the side effects it can cause. Any advice on this? I really am tired if being anxious every day
Bookmark and Share

Offline NoShadesofGrey

• Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • There's hope in front of me
    • Poke This Member
Re: Starting Zoloft today
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 07:22:44 PM »
I am on day 40 of Zoloft (generic--12 days 25mg and 28 days 50mg).  At this point and dosage I'm not sure it's helping, but my doctor wants me to wait a full 6 weeks on 50mg.

Anyway, the only advice I can give you at this point is to take your klonopin and if it's not working for you, talk to your doctor about switching or increasing the dose.  My doctor started me off on Ativan and it didn't work for me and so he switched me to Xanax XR and that helped SO much.

Also, I've never taken klonopin, but from what I've read on here, it becomes increasingly more effective for I think it was 7-10 days or something to that effect.  So don't give up!
Bookmark and Share
On days of gray when doubt clouds my view
It's so hard to see past my fears
My strength seems to fade and it's all I can do
To hold on 'til the light reappears
Still, I believe though some rain's bound to fall
That You're here next to me and You're over it all

Offline Chloe1990

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 10:32:23 AM »
Hey Zooey. One word of advice don't panic if you get bad diarrhoea. Tmi I know but I really suffered with it on them!
Bookmark and Share

Online Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 22
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 01:34:59 PM »
My doctor has prescribed me 25 mg of Zoloft and .5 of klonopin for my anxiety. I am really nervous of starting the Zoloft because of all the side effects it can cause. Any advice on this? I really am tired if being anxious every day
Welcome,  :action-smiley-065:

You are starting your journey, many will start but not everyone finishes, I want you to succeed!

Many people - More than 30% will stop using their medications and quit (many due to side effects)  never giving their medication a  'Fair Trial' at helping them!  :(

In studies, drug non-compliance for selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) and tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs) has been found to be between 21-60%. Pharmacotherapeutic side effects were found to be responsible for approximately 30% of cases of non-compliance.
http://www.scopemed.org/?mno=6868

I have been using all types of SSRI/AD's and BZD for over 20+medications (I been on over 10+ different SSRI/ADs) - and I can personally tell you, that my life has been redeemed - looking back, my life has improved in every area from being in the depths of depression, Panic Disorder, Severe OCD, afraid of schools, restaurants, and meeting people.   To being happily married, having peace of mind, confidence to get great jobs I would never had the courage to even try to get.  It is totally worth every effort!!

Here some tips you I wish I would have known (my 15-min visits with my Dr. were insufficient, they never explained even a fraction of the information presented below):

1) Zoloft (or any SSRI/AD) - Should always be started at the lowest dose to prevent unnecessary side effects - so 25 mg for Zoloft is great!  SSRI/AD will take ( 6-8 and maybe 12 weeks once you get to the therapeutic dose of 50 mg.) to work - so this is going to a be a "Marathon" not a "Sprint" - as one dr. would always remind me. :yes:

2) Zoloft- took a little longer than other SSRI/AD's  for me to feel it working - but Zoloft is IME- is one of the more potent among the SSRI group.

3) Most people who react well to Zoloft and get good results - can take it for years, if necessary, without facing the "pooping-out" syndrome - (the medicine will  stop working after a period of time, usually a couple of years).  I had this happen to me with a couple of other SSRI and AD that I have used in the past.

4) Zoloft - as well as all the other SSRI/AD will not do anything for your anxiety (not just yet)  - until it kicks in (6-8-12 weeks) at a therapeutic dose.  IME- It might actually increase anxiety temporarily for a couple of weeks, but it will soon disappear.

5) Using a Benzodiazepine was very important to me in "Protecting me against my existing anxiety and and any temporary anxiety" that is a temporary side effect of Zoloft and other SSRI/AD.  You doctor was very wise in prescribing you  Klonopin which I have used for years, and it is very effective in helping your anxiety- until the Zoloft has time to work.  Your Dr. has prescribed .5 mg- don't hesitate to use it! 

I would always take a dose at night to help me sleep and because it is a long lasting BDZ - it works and stays longer in your system to protect you from anxiety.  IME - I did notice that Klonopin does become more effective at a lower doses when used daily.

Feel free to post any questions on tips of how and when to use Klonopin - which really worked well for me.

6)  All medications have side effects - There is no such thing as a"Magic Pill" -including Zoloft.  Here is a supply of items I purchased to address these temporary side effects:  You may not experience ANY side effects, or you might, as I did, just experience some of them.  But, all these side effects are again, Temporary and Normal for most of the SSRI/AD meds - So Just in Case, let's be prepared  :yes:

Here is my "First Aid Supply Kit"  I used "Just In Case"  :winking0008::
1)  Pepto Bismol - for any upset stomach or nausea - it worked very well.
2)  IMODIUM A-D best OTC anti-diarrheal that I have used.
3)  Tylenol or Advil/Aleve - for any occasional headaches.
4)  B-12 supplements for lack of energy or fatigue - I used both Methylcobalamin (form of B12) (under the tongue) faster absorption and also Nature Made B-12 Timed Release (Cyanocobalamin- form of B12).

IME:  The both worked, the Methylcobalamin seems to increase my energy a little faster than the Cyanocobalamin form of B12 - Both they both worked great to increase my energy - without the additional anxiety of Coffee (caffeine) based drinks.

Additional protocols your Dr. may help you with:

For me the above list, with Klonopin at night, allowed to safely and comfortably counter all the temporary side effects of an SSRI/AD's - But, Just in case it doesn't - you can speak to your doctor about other things that may help if you are still have temporary problems with Zoloft's side effects:

-  If insomnia is an ongoing problem, ask your doctor whether taking a low dose of a sedating antidepressant such as trazodone or mirtazapine (Remeron) before bed might help.

-  If you still feel very depressed or fatigued and tired, speak with your Doctor about options to augment your current medication - Bupropion (Wellbutrin) -Valproate (Depakote) - Conventional mood-stabilizing dosages can sometimes be prescribed by your doctor.

The reason for all this information is to help keep you on your Zoloft, long enough for the tempory side effects to go away and to actually benefit from these wonderful medications.

Being prepared - will vastly improve your success rate!  And I can personally tell you, it is totally worth it!! :grinning-smiley-003:

Again, welcome, and we all here to help you if you have any questions or concerns!   :action-smiley-065:

Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline Zooey1023

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 01:41:29 PM »
Hey thanks for all those tips !!!! Do you usually take Zoloft in the morning or night ? My dr did say to take the kolonopin at night to maybe help me sleep a little better.
Bookmark and Share

Online Never-Quit

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 04:35:35 PM »
Yes,

Klonopin has ALWAYS worked best for me, when I took the main dose daily at bedtime!  It helps me sleep and I don't wake up with "Morning Anxiety"

Sometime, if my panic attacks or anxiety is really high I might take only 1/2 a klonopin during the day.

Having used Xanax, Ativan, Klonopin and Valium for 20+ years.:  I have learned the following tips on using these BDZ.

Xanax is the fastest acting most potent daytime medication I have used for quickly stopping Anxiety during (10-15 min)- and I used it during the day, but during the night, the Xanax would be out of my system in 4-6 hours depending on dose.

Ativan - is also very good, for me - It lasted a little longer (4-8 hours) during the day than Xanax, and it did take a little longer to feel the medications start working (20-30) minutes.

Klonopin and Valium are Long Half-Life BZD, and are ideal for night time use, since they will stay in your body for up to 24 hours, and once on a daily dose, I used a daytime 1/2 dose during the day - but they did tend to make me more drowsy than Xanax or Ativan during the day.

For the Zoloft - I would just follow your doctor's orders or the directions on the label - for now. 

Depending how it affects you, The timing of the dose of this medicine will be different for different patients, and your doctor may change it later.

How much klonopin did your doctor prescribe you?  And how many times per day?

Let me know if you have any questions! :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline Zooey1023

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 05:39:15 PM »
.5 kolonopin once daily. I do have some left over Xanax she prescribed a while ago but I find it does wear off rather quickly.

She originally prescribed me the Zoloft 25mg and .25 Xanax  a few months ago but I was being stubborn and was trying to handle this all without meds. I took the Xanax a few times when I was having really rough days w anxiety but now it's gotten out of control and need to get my life back on track so I went back to her and she told me to start the Zoloft and then gave me the prescription for the kolonopin too
Bookmark and Share

Online Never-Quit

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 09:54:12 PM »
It appears that you are prepared!

I am excited for you! :action-smiley-065:

Keep us informed of your progress, and feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions.

We are here to support you   :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Zooey1023

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 11:03:29 PM »
So I feel like I've done a big step tonight. Finally started the Zoloft after staring at it for months.
Bookmark and Share

Online Never-Quit

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 11:24:31 PM »
I am so proud of you !!!   :banana:

It takes a lot of courage ... but you are now moving in the right direction to brighter future  :nature-smiley-016:

Keep us updated on your progress  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 103
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 12:01:02 AM »
So I feel like I've done a big step tonight. Finally started the Zoloft after staring at it for months.

Good. In my experience it works better that way. :)  Antidepressants can be difficult in the beginning, but when they work they can change lives. Hopefully, Zoloft will do that for you.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 10:01:49 PM »
Good luck!  ;D
Bookmark and Share

Tags: