Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Bad Chest Pains, scared it's PE or Heart Attack  (Read 179 times)

Offline NickT76

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Bad Chest Pains, scared it's PE or Heart Attack
« on: August 18, 2014, 12:47:03 PM »
Hi everyone I can't believe I'm back again.  For the past week or so I've been experiencing burning, throbbing, aches and pains in my lower legs.  The pain has come and gone throughout the day and sometimes walking around would help a bit.

Yesterday it hit me... BAM.... we were getting ready to go out for the evening and I started getting chest pain.  The pain was radiating to my neck and shoulder.  I got really tired and started to get hot flashes while we were out.  I swore this was a Heart Attack.  Made my night pretty miserable.  I resisted the urge to go to the ER since I've had panic attacks before and this may have been one not sure.

Anyway because of the leg thing I'm fearing that I might have Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) and a clot has broken off and traveled to my lungs. 

Today hasn't been so fun.  I do keep getting constant aches and pains in the center of my chest and it does give me some pain when breathing in. 

I do have issues with Varicose veins and have had some surgically removed in the past (with no clots). 

Is it possible that I could have developed DVT in under 2 weeks, formed a clot and it has traveled into my lungs?  I do have a job where I sit down all day, but I do move my legs around, get up and stretch my legs, take walks for lunch, etc.

I think there may have been a few days where I wasn't walking too much but come on that quick?

What is making this even more scary is that today the pain in my legs has pretty much gone away so now I'm convinced this has happened to me.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

Nick
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 19
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Bad Chest Pains, scared it's PE or Heart Attack
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 01:44:24 PM »
the pain when breathing in is probably the most important part, because that is not consistent with heart problems. It suggests chest wall muscle inflammation or strain. Your heart would not cause more pain from breathing in.

Really, if you had a heart problem causing your symptoms, you wouldn't be able to talk online at this point, or even stand up. I don't know what is causing it, you may want to see a doctor if its unusual enough to cause you issues, because not all serious chest problems are heart related. But the chances of it being a heart problem are insignificant, i'm sure of that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Raaawr

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 03:06:53 PM »
Hi everyone I can't believe I'm back again.  For the past week or so I've been experiencing burning, throbbing, aches and pains in my lower legs.  The pain has come and gone throughout the day and sometimes walking around would help a bit.
Have you been more active than usual? Been up and down stairs more than normal?

Yesterday it hit me... BAM.... we were getting ready to go out for the evening and I started getting chest pain.  The pain was radiating to my neck and shoulder.  I got really tired and started to get hot flashes while we were out.  I swore this was a Heart Attack.  Made my night pretty miserable.  I resisted the urge to go to the ER since I've had panic attacks before and this may have been one not sure.
From my understanding from research on heart attacks, the pain doesnt just come suddenly, it tends to build up and it feels like it is inside your chest, beyond your ribs, like you cant touch it or rub your chest instinctively to make it feel better. I also read an article by a GP where he outlines his experience with heart attacks and ERs. He basically suggests that if after an hour of pain and you havent gone to the ER and you havent collapsed its probably not a heart attack.  But he also outlines the DANGERS of waiting around to see "oh if I wait an hour its not a heart attack" and then you're dead.

Anyway because of the leg thing I'm fearing that I might have Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) and a clot has broken off and traveled to my lungs.
Where was the leg pain? Did you have any swelling? Did your legs appear a blueish colour? Were your legs warm to the touch? Again, from my research of DVT, the pain it causes is unbearable to the point where you cant even put pressure on the leg. The pain also steadily increases over time.

Today hasn't been so fun.  I do keep getting constant aches and pains in the center of my chest and it does give me some pain when breathing in. 
PVE comes with more than just pain, coughing blood, shortness of breath etc. Pain in the centre of your chest could be muscle related or acid reflux related.

Is it possible that I could have developed DVT in under 2 weeks, formed a clot and it has traveled into my lungs?  I do have a job where I sit down all day, but I do move my legs around, get up and stretch my legs, take walks for lunch, etc.
Well it is not impossible. I would highly doubt it though. As my Doctor said to me; we all sit around far too much but the most at risk are those in hospital beds who cant even move their legs.

I think there may have been a few days where I wasn't walking too much but come on that quick?

What is making this even more scary is that today the pain in my legs has pretty much gone away so now I'm convinced this has happened to me.

I am not sure how quickly the leg pain subsides but I cant imagine it being that quick as what happens is a piece of the clot breaks off and goes to the lungs, not the whole thing so by my logic there would still be some blockage remaining.
Bookmark and Share
Since July 23rd 2014 I have had;
Brain Tumor, 5x Heart Attacks, 2x Blood clots in leg, 1 blood clot in Arm, 2x Appendicitis, Pulmonary Embolism, Brain Tumor, Internal Bleeding, Ebola.

Offline dantescritic

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 05:52:23 PM »
 Chest pain can definitely be just a panic attack, I know because I get it all the time. Although I also know that I have high blood pressure, so I take some extra precautions. Is the chest pain constant, does it improve when you walk? Ultimately for me what it took was visiting a cardiologist and getting a stress test to reassure me, not saying you should do this but a trip to the cardiologist couldn't hurt, although I really doubt "with your history of anxiety" that this is anything more than a panic attack.

So yes, panic attacks can come out of nowhere and can DEFINITELY cause chest pain.  Im more cases than not we associate the pain with a heart ailment, when what it really is the actual warning sign of an incoming panic attack.  Heart attack pain isn't usually throbbing, or can't be pinpointed to a specific area. It is an intense CRUSHING pain as if an elephant was standing on your chest, your entire chest would likely hurt and this pain would more times than not indeed radiate to your left arm although the pain is almost always unbearable to the point where you KNOW something is wrong.  Sure some people have "silent" heart attacks, but these are pretty unlikely.

Let me put it to you this way, no amount of reassurance from people on this forum is going to make you feel any better.  I know this because the manifestations of my anxiety were identical to yours and I had to go to the ER several times with shortness of breath and chest pain before I accepted that what I had was "Panic Disorder".   So what I recommend is a visit to your cardiologist or family doctor to discuss these symptoms, although if I had to guess "not knowing your age or risk factors" I think you can rest easy, but heck a trip to the  old heart doctor cant hurt.   DVT is extremely rare, more than likely you have pulled a muscle in your lower back or buttocks, and this is radiating into your leg, I know because ive dealt with this myself. Try pushing on the underside of your calf area with your fingers, as well as the muscly area directly underneath your buttocks. Im willing to bet if you press hard enough you will FEEL tension and knots in these areas, if you do you can write off DVT immediately since the pain is INTERNAL and not external IE- affecting the muscles.  Also the pain of DVT and PAD gets WORSE as you walk, to the point where you wouldn't even be able to walk anymore without wincing in pain.  Not to mention you wouldn't be with us right now if you had DVT that travelled to your lungs, so if you're reading this message you can just about write off PAD or DVT xD.

I don't mean to scare you so don't be concerned, I had a great uncle who died of DVT with a blood clot that travelled to his lungs. He got back from a business trip from San Francisco feeling fine, after the flight he has INTENSE leg pain as well as swelling in his leg and toes.  He said he didn't think it was anything, about an hour later he passed away not even having known anything was wrong. My point is DVT is very very rare, and if you had it you wouldn't have enough time to "worry" anyway.  Try to get up and walk around whenever you can, not spending 2 hours at a time in front of the PC.   I'd like to mention he was in his early 80's, extremely overweight and smoked cigarettes.

Ultimately all of your fears sound extremely similar to my own when my anxiety was at its worst.  For me it took hitting rock bottom, going to the ER and INSISTING that I had something seriously wrong with me until they ran any and every test they could, heck at one point they practically believed me.   But after this, after cardiology tests, CT Scans of the Lungs and Legs x2, contrast mris that showed absolutely nothing I really had to finally face facts.  That week I made a visit to my psychiatrists office, which I had neglected for some time because I was supposedly "Dying" the week after taking the prescription medications he gave me I immediately KNEW what the real problem was.

So anyway take my 2 cents for what it's worth, the real realization that I got to is that as much as you want that certainty from people here on the forums, they just can't give it to you. And even if they could, would you really believe it anyway? xD Rest easy, I hope this little ramble helps somewhat.  I am not a medical professional so as always take my advice with a grain of salt, follow up with your doctor and explain your fears very specifically, see if they are willing to run any diagnostic tests... and then learn to accept the diagnosis, it's probably going to be "You're just fine :D"

PS- My chest pain ended up being muscle stiffness caused by panic attacks, as well as back problems from sitting alot that radiate to the chest wall.  When I start a jogging regiment, my chest pains dissapear as soon as I return to a sedentary lifestyle they start to return the longer i sit at the PC.

Best, Dante
Bookmark and Share
Panic Disorder, Hypertension, OCD

Alprazolam 0.5 2x daily
Lexapro 5mg daily

Still struggling

Tags: