Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Citalopram 40mg withdrawal - please help  (Read 221 times)

Online Chloe1990

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Citalopram 40mg withdrawal - please help
« on: August 18, 2014, 07:20:48 AM »
I have come off 40mg of Citalopram cold turkey for a week now. I'm experiencing brain zaps, heart palps and tingling in my feet and hands. This is scary! Is this just withdrawel symptoms? Has anyone else quit this drug cold turkey and had the same symptoms?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 93
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Citalopram 40mg withdrawal - please help
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 07:49:08 AM »
I have come off 40mg of Citalopram cold turkey for a week now. I'm experiencing brain zaps, heart palps and tingling in my feet and hands. This is scary! Is this just withdrawel symptoms? Has anyone else quit this drug cold turkey and had the same symptoms?

Yes, they are withdrawal symptoms. Quitting any antidepressant they way you've done is very unwise. Why did you feel the need to risk your health this way?

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Online Chloe1990

Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 08:05:53 AM »
I just felt like I could get off them by myself, I've been on them 3 years max, and I'm so fed up with being on drugs. I thought I'd be able to handle the effects :/
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 08:13:45 AM »
I just felt like I could get off them by myself, I've been on them 3 years max, and I'm so fed up with being on drugs. I thought I'd be able to handle the effects :/

Dropping from the recommended maximum dose of any med to zero is just plain dumb. It is doubly so for antidepressants, not only because of what you're now experiencing, but also because it may reduce the chances of these meds working for you in future.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Online Chloe1990

Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 11:40:48 AM »
Yeah your totally right, I have taken a 25mg and wil go from there!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 11:47:25 AM »

Hi Chole,

Yes  :spineyes:

You are at the maximum dose of Celexa (maximum dose) 40 mg.

PDR states: "Do not stop taking citalopram or change your dose without talking to your healthcare professional. Stopping citalopram suddenly can cause withdrawal effects."

Since I have been on this before, I would really encourage you to call your doctor so he/she can safely taper you off the Celexa, (usually the put on a smaller dose over time, so your has a chance to adjust) the doctor has a proper procedure (a specific dose of Celexa and for how long to stay at each lower dose)

You need to take good care of yourself  :yes:

Call your doctor today, they will put on a schedule on how correctly stop the medication without these painful side effects.

We want you take good care of yourself :action-smiley-065:

Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Online Chloe1990

Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 03:46:03 AM »
Thank never quit :)
I've taken a 25mg yesterday and a 40mg this morning and I'm feeling a little odd. The brain zaps have stopped bit I feel dizzy and headaches, would this be the tablets does anyone know?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 05:52:21 AM »
The brain zaps have stopped bit I feel dizzy and headaches, would this be the tablets does anyone know?

Probably. I don't think you need to go back onto 40mg if the intention is to stop, 30mg should ease most of the withdrawal symptoms. The optimum taper rate for citalopram is to reduce the dose every 8-10 days, but by how much is less clear cut. I suggest you reduce the dose by 10mg, or 5mg if symptoms become severe.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 08:32:41 AM »
Yes. :P

Because u missed a whole week without your regular dose after 3 years - your body is trying to reset itself - it will eventually even out back to normal.  I recall just missing a weekend by accident, and I started to feel like a had the flu...  But within the week my body readjusted after I started back on my normal dose.

Just out of curiosity- why do want discontinue using Celexa after 3 years?  Any longterm side effects?  Or is it not working like it used to?  Just wondering ....

Take good care of yourself!

Hope you feel better!
Bookmark and Share

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Online Chloe1990

Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 10:31:29 AM »
Thank you never quit! :)
I hate being on tablets, I feel sort of ashamed that I can't deal with my own mind. I know I shouldn't feel like that but I just don't want too be on them forever. I've messed my system up again now though I think. I think it's better to be on them then feel so crappy though!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 01:52:21 PM »
Thank you never quit! :)
I hate being on tablets, I feel sort of ashamed that I can't deal with my own mind. I know I shouldn't feel like that but I just don't want too be on them forever.

This was so TRUE about me, I felt I was too weak and shame prevented me from taking any prescription medications for about 10 years  ::)

Since, Most Anxiety Disorders have Biological roots and genetics roots - we now know it runs in families.  Thanks Dad and Mom !!   :laugh3:

This is an excerpt from a famous classic book from Dr. David V. Sheenan - "The Anxiety Disease"

"Anxiety is not always psychological but rather a disease that can now be controlled. The symptoms are devastating: sudden unprovoked attacks of anxiety-accompanied by skipping and racing of the heart, shortness of breath, lightheadedness, dizzy spells. Even worse is the fear that you are losing your mind. But here's the good news. The more unexpected and unprovoked the attacks or the symptoms, the more likely that the victim is suffering from a biologically beset disease. What's more, medical science can now overcome this disease in virtually all cases through a combination of drugs and behavior therapy."
- Dr. David V. Sheenan

Because, so many people suffer from this mistaken belief and stigma of shame, you might want to create a new posting about your experience - I know others on the internet will find it, and it will help them, by bringing them some comfort.

Maybe something like "Is it normal to feel ashamed and not strong enough to deal with this without Meds?" - I think you would be surpirised by how many people will respond to your post - because I am sure most of have dealt with this guilt and shame and have wasted years of our lives in unnecessary pain - like I did  ::)

Anyways, just a thought.

Hope you feel better - Hang in there !   :action-smiley-065:

Bookmark and Share

Offline Frotob

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 04:02:37 PM »
I have never felt ashamed of taking psych meds. . . I've always felt as though I owed it to myself to try them if they helped. The stigma is dying out with the older generations, none of my friends give half a ***** that I've got anxiety and are happy to see I'm doing better. Everyone's got problems, seeking help for them is not indicative of weakness. . . Anxiety produces real physical symptoms, and for many - the mental anguish is more of a burden than the physical symptoms.

I live in Florida, I can relate it to using sunscreen to prevent a sunburn. . . Am I weak for using sunscreen when I could just get burnt and deal with it? Or foolish for getting sunburnt?
Bookmark and Share

Online Chloe1990

Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 02:26:32 AM »
That's a very good point Frotob.
Thanks for all your replies I'm still feeling dizzy. The room isn't spinning but I'm feeling off still.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 02:41:25 AM »
Unfortunately our bodies have a mind of their own ....

But you are on the right track ... It only a matter of time ... Before your body will Reset Itself - back to normal.

Hang in There! :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Online Chloe1990

Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 02:43:35 AM »
Thank you! It's frightening me slightly as my health anxiety goes through the roof. The tingling is still in both feet as well. I'm hoping this is all part of the tablet situation and not something more sinister
Bookmark and Share

Tags: