Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Choosing a Therapist?  (Read 244 times)

Offline Lindsay2427

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
Choosing a Therapist?
« on: August 18, 2014, 07:08:05 AM »
I did it this morning! I made an online account with our insurance company and I searched therapist in network with my provider! I think I'm ready. I think I am ready to finally seek help even though I feel I might be non fixable.

My question is how do I pick the right therapist. So many therapist came up with in 20 miles of my home. I feel more comfortable with female ( I think) but what do I look for in her? Do I need to find a therapist who is specialized in OCD since HA is a firm of ocd? Or phobias since my phobia is cancer? While looking over some of the therapist profiles nothing they specialized in sounded like what I am needing. I have heard people talk about CBT therapy? How do I find the right person so I don't waste my time or feel like they think I'm crazy?

I can promise you the sessions will insist of lots of crying because anytime I talk about my fears openly I sob. When while typing most of my posts here I'm sobbing.
So please if you can help direct me to the right therapist!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
    • Poke This Member
Re: Choosing a Therapist?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 07:17:46 AM »
I hope you don't live in NJ or have Cigna!  I was looking for a therapist and not ONE would return my call.  (even after promises they'd call back and multiple calls to them) I so hope you have better luck!  If you do find one, let me know how you went about it. (like maybe physically walking into the place to MAKE them give you an appointment)
A good thing to do (which I did at first, but then was calling just ANYONE, even 1 stars!) is to find one your health insurance takes of course, then go to Healthgrades.com and check their 5 star ratings and patient satisfaction remarks.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 07:22:09 AM »
SunLover I live in KY! I really hope I can find someone because I think getting all off this bottled up anxiety out might be what I need to get over it. Even suppressing it some would help.
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 12
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 08:28:10 AM »
I think I'm ready. I think I am ready to finally seek help even though I feel I might be non fixable.

That statement right there...STOP IT!!!!  YOU are NOT non fixable.  You are if CHOOSE to be but only if you CHOOSE to be.  It's a CHOICE!!!  You make that choice every single minute when you give into the monster.

As for recommendations, have you asked your PCP?  That's how I got my referral.  I had to take a xanax just to go meet him but I did it.  He started off by interviewing me and then had me take a computer based test that showed him my "problem" areas.  That helped him formulate a treatement plan.  Here's the key...if you don't click after the first meeting or two...find another one.  You have to feel comfortable with this person, like it's a safe place.  That doesn't mean that he or she won't talk about things that make you uncomfortable, because they will, but that you have the right rapport. 

CBT is key, in my opinion.  You have to retrain your brain to stop the anxious thoughts.  You literally have to rewire it.

Please keep us updated!  You can do this!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline rileybug

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 09:43:15 AM »
Geta few names from your doc/friends-call and set up a short phone interview  .  Who ever you like make a appt.  I had to go through 3 to find mine.  Hear none take insurance-its pretty much self pay.'

Bookmark and Share

Offline Beth0810

• Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 05:02:19 AM »
So... This post is from August.  Did you find a therapist yet?  If not, why not? 

We are all pulling for you.  You have to make the first step! 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 09:37:51 AM »
Wow thanks for bumping this!!!

Obviously I haven't found a therapist. I am a busy mom to 4 chikdren ranging in ages 8-2. I don't have time to see a therapist unless they would allow me to bring my 2 year old son. I want to so badly but I feel like I need to our myself on the back burner... No tine for me!
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 226
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 09:54:18 AM »
Wow thanks for bumping this!!!

Obviously I haven't found a therapist. I am a busy mom to 4 chikdren ranging in ages 8-2. I don't have time to see a therapist unless they would allow me to bring my 2 year old son. I want to so badly but I feel like I need to our myself on the back burner... No tine for me!

I have 6 kids.  My eldest is severely disabled so I know it can be tricky working things out sometimes.

BUT

you know many therapists have evening hours to accommodate  issues such as your own.  I am willing to bet your husband would try to work some thing out with his work schedule (or your mom or family, even hiring a babysitter)  if they thought they could get a happy, well-adjusted Lindsay.  You could find one that would work, you just have to want to make it work for you.   :yes:  I guess there is a distinct possibility that you don't want it to work......  So the question for you is do you want to continue in this free fall rationalizing the irrational, making excuses or do you want to take a leap of faith that your life doesn't have to be spent crying and worrying?

It really is up to you. 
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline Beth0810

Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 09:59:34 AM »
That's a cop out.  MANY therapists will do phone sessions and MOST will allow you to bring your kids.  When I started with my therapist, I was pregnant and had a one year old son.  I brought him with and there were toys in the office to play with. 

You can't afford to put yourself on the "back burner".  Anxious parents have a HUGE effect on their children.  You are altering who they will be by waiting to get help (which, let's face it, you don't actually plan on ever getting).  You NEED this.  Please. 

I don't mean to sound harsh, but it's not fair to your family or YOU to go on like this.  Please see that. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 226
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 10:03:46 AM »
ha,  yep i brought my 2 month old to therapy a couple of times back in '97.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline Beth0810

Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 10:05:06 AM »
Ask yourself… what is your ACTUAL hesitation?  What do you think is going to happen if you go to therapy?  You have found therapists that work with your insurance, so that's not holding you back.  You know you can take your child with you, do a phone session, or go at a time when someone can watch your son (babysitters do exist), so that's not it.  Are you afraid of facing this?  Honestly, I can tell you it's SUCH a relief to talk to someone and discover that you aren't alone, and that you CAN fix this.  Medicine HELPS.  If you didn't like zoloft, try another ssri.  But I suggest seeing a psychiatrist for your meds rather than just a GP.  The psychiatrist will help you through this and will be on call at ANY time you have a question about your meds. 

I honestly think you like to worry.  It is serving a purpose for you.  It's an addiction.  I don't think you can get better without professional help.  We all see it, but I don't think you will be able to see it until you are on the other side of this, if you ever choose to take that leap. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Courtney09011

• Rec's: 1
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 12:13:50 PM »
I actually have heard of places doing therapy via *****! I also know of places that provide child care for the 45 min or so you are in there. Regardless there has got to be some way you can go to therapy even if you have a busy mom schedule!  Keep in mind it's not like this is every day! This is something you need, you can find one! SOMEBODY will work with you :)
Bookmark and Share
i understand your anxiety! I've been there and am there right now! Feel free to PM me if you need someone who understands!

Offline Beth0810

Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2014, 12:17:12 PM »
I agree!  No more excuses.  There are therapists who see women with young children ALL.  THE.  TIME. 

This is your addiction telling you that it's not worth it to seek help.  It's lying.  It's SO worth it.  When you see the difference it will make in your life, you will be SO happy that you did. 

Bookmark and Share

Offline rileybug

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2014, 01:14:16 PM »
For me therpy helps-i Self pay $175.OO twice a month since none of the docs take insurance here.If it helps a little its well worth it.  I think they don't want to be bothered with the insurance billing  and want the money asap since most of them are sole practioners.
Bookmark and Share

Online AncientMelody

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 11:19:46 AM »
I get that it's hard to prioritize yourself. I spent years putting myself on the "back burner" But my kids deserve the best of me, and yours deserve the best of you. and to give them that you need to care for yourself. I drive 45-60 minutes (depending on traffic) to see my psychiatrist after work. yes it puts extra work on my husband during that time, and my kids see me less that day. But it's really an investment so the time I am with them is better spent.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: