Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Getting bruises with lumps under them, urge to google is strong  (Read 452 times)

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 41
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I've posted before about how I've been getting bruises that are different from the ones I usually get - they're spotted/blotchy bright magenta and purple and take forever to heal, spreading outward for ages until they start to fade.  I've gotten a couple more since and have noticed that each bruise has a really painful lump under it.  I also get really bad bruises from what seems like really minor trauma. 

I'm really worried about leukemia or some other blood cancer.  I don't know what to do, I don't know if I should ask my doctor, ignore it, or what.  I really want to google, and my brain is telling me "well, if it's not something bad, you'll feel better!  And if you know it's a sign of something bad, you'll see a doctor and get it caught right away!"

But I don't know if that's sense or just HA.  I've lost the ability to tell the two apart. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Getting bruises with lumps under them, urge to google is strong
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 10:10:14 AM »
I bruise easily, too, from just lightly bumping into something.  Then the bruise will stay around for weeks before it finally fades away.

I'm not sure exactly what you mention about having a lump underneath it.  I've never noticed that before.

I've never had a real answer on why I bruise so easily but two doctors I've mentioned it to haven't seemed concerned at all.

I think when bruises just appear out of nowhere for no reason whatsoever, that's something to have checked out.  But many times you may simply lean against something the wrong way and can bruise.  I've actually bruised the palm of my hand by holding a box.  Crazy!

Don't worry yourself.  I'm sure everything is fine.
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 08:41:03 PM »
Thanks :)  I don't know how to describe the lump except as just that - a hard painful lump underneath the bruise.  I guess it's accumulated blood or something? 

Another bruise this morning, this one painless and on my shin, so I guess I walked into something and just don't remember doing so.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PantsyAntsy

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 11:24:58 PM »
I also face the dilemma of when to take something seriously.

It seems to me lumps under bruises aren't typical. It couldn't hurt to get it checked out by a doctor.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PantsyAntsy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 11:47:26 PM »
I googled for you. What I found is that lumps under bruises are hematomas and not something to worry about unless on the head.

So, good news. From Dr. Google. It's a first!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Primula

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 07:05:42 AM »
Lumps under bruises are fine. It's just an accumulation of blood.  It can take a while for the lump to disperse.  I had a nasty bruise about a month ago and I can still feel a lump under the skin.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 10:56:45 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I woke up with another bruise I have no recollection of getting.  Argh.  Just a small, normal-looking one but still. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

• Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 11:15:06 AM »
Mollyfin, I get bruises ALL the time on me that I have no recollection of what I did to get it.  Right now, I have one on each arm and just found one on my leg which I have no clue how that got there.

When I hit my arms or legs on something, I can actually watch the bruise form.  It's instantaneous. 

You know, I was thinking about the lump under your bruise that you mentioned and I do recall one time having that.  I had banged my shin really hard on a coffee table and had a big lump and bruise on my shin for a few weeks.  I agree with the prior poster that it sounds like nothing to be worried about.

Have you ever tried Arnica on your bruises?  It's a natural gel that works for sprains and bruises.  I use it and it seems to help my bruises go away a little bit faster.
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 11:37:33 AM »
I haven't, though I think I've seen it advertised.  I'll give it a try.  I don't usually bruise like this, and all my vitamin levels were normal a few months ago. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 08:57:20 PM »
Trying to get through my day but it's hard.  Girlfriend grabbed my arm lightly; now have finger shaped bruises on my arm.  Terrified of leukemia, especially since my bruises lately have been horrible and full of red speckles (inside the bruise, not surrounding them).  Hoping it's something simple like a hormone imbalance, since my period was late this month. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jazeraca

• Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 09:00:38 PM »
I have a bruise on my lower right abdomen right now, I think it's from when an ultrasound technician pushed the probe there way too hard. It has a couple of very small lumps under it. And I do recall getting small lumps under bruises before, but it's not common. I don't think it's anything to worry about.
Bookmark and Share
Dx: GAD, DESNOS, Fibro and other physical issues. Nothing serious, but of course my anxious mind will often find something very serious as with other things in my life. Anxiety is a fraud. Anxiety is not YOU or ME, it is an illness.

Offline Chloe1990

• Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 10:03:55 PM »
My legs are always covered in bruises and I never remember bumping them. I have a great big green one only knee, my Leukaemia fear has passed now though so It doesn't bother me like it would of done a few weeks back. I put it down to thrashing about in my sleep :) 
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 10:20:15 PM »
I seem to go through periods of bruising easily and not - sometimes I'm tough as anything, then sometimes I bruise if I look at something like I might bump into it.

This bout is really freaking me out, though, because they come so easy and have red speckles that look like petechiae in them.  Totally new for me. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Chloe1990

• Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 11:33:58 PM »
Well petachie in a bruise is normal it's bleeding under the skin which is what bruises are. Plus I've had loads of petachie before with and without bruises.  You should see how badly mum mum bruises , both her legs went purple just from kneeling on the ground to  do some gardening.  It can run in families
Bookmark and Share

Offline TarheelBabe1980

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 12:20:09 PM »
When was the last time you had your platelets checked?  Don't mean to scare you but (sorry) a girl at work was recently diag with a rare blood autoimmune disorder called TTP. Forgot what that stands for, and I don't know what her symptoms were. She will be okay though. Other symptoms besides the weird bruising include:

Paleness or jaundice (a yellowish color of the skin or whites of the eyes).
Fatigue (feeling very tired and weak).
Fever.
A fast heart rate or shortness of breath.
Headache, speech changes, confusion, coma, stroke, or seizure.
A low amount of urine, or protein or blood in the urine.

(Yes i copied and pasted). It's probably nothing, like other posters have said, but I would definitely get this checked.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: