Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Convinced I have lung cancer  (Read 179 times)

Offline Earl71

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
Convinced I have lung cancer
« on: August 17, 2014, 07:45:52 PM »
 Hello,

It's been ongoing for nearly two months now.  It started off with left lat pain near my armpit but not actually in it.  It's a pain that feels like a deep bruise and almost never goes away.  Then some upper back pain on the same side.  When I turn my head to the left, I can really feel it.  I'm also getting tingling in my left arm off and on, especially when I lay in certain positions. I've also had the dreaded muscle twitches in my upper back on the same side as the pain but also muscle twitches all over, though not all the time.

At first I thought A L S, then maybe MS but now I really think it could be lung cancer.  I've read many articles around the internet that say sometimes the first symptom of lung cancer is shoulder pain, though I'm not sure I'd classify this entirely as shoulder pain.  But definitely the muscles around it.

I've gotten several massages lately and have been told the muscles on that side are extremely tight.  My doctor even gave me three trigger point injections and when she put the needle in on my left upper back she even commented on how tight the muscle was.  She thinks the problem is a strain, the physical therapist she sent me to thinks it's possibly arthritis in my neck and my chiropractor thinks it's a pinched nerve.  And now I think it's lung cancer.

I was hesitant to say this before this weekend but  for the past two days I've also had some mild chest pain, especially when I breathe.  Could be gas, but maybe not.  I'm 42 and have never smoked even a single cigarette in my life so the odds would be against it but not impossible.  I've yet to tell my doctor about the lung cancer fear because I've seen her so many other times with so many other worries that have never turned out to be anything at all.  I'm sure she thinks I'm a lunatic and she could be right.  But the fact that these pains aren't getting any better have me terrified I have cancer and that my life is quickly coming to an end.

Tell me I'm right, tell me I'm wrong but give it to me straight. What should I do?  I know a chest x-ray would be logical but I'm afraid to death what it might reveal.  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 223
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: Convinced I have lung cancer
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 08:31:09 PM »
people come on this forum everyday convinced  of something.  the problem is they are convinced of the wrong thing.    :yes:

I guess you can pretty much guess what I think your lung cancer theory   :winking0008:

what are you doing to deal with the anxiety disorder that you have?  what is working? what isn't?  what are you willing to do to get on your healing path?

if you are still working on understanding what and how anxiety works and how it affects people, please click on my username.  on my profile I have 4 links on those subjects.  I don't claim to be an anxiety guru..  However I consider myself in recovery and I have been seeing how anxious people react and behave here on this forum for 5+ years    :goofy:   so I've formed some opinions on how anxiety mucks with thinking.

good luck and be well.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline Earl71

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 08:40:33 PM »
For now, I'm seeing a psychologist every two weeks and taking 40 mg. of Celexa per day.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 223
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 08:46:30 PM »
therapy is a good thing. 

have you added other proactive things to do while you are not seeing the psy doc?   

so  realize you can be doing all kinds of good stuff-------going to therapy, taking meds(good for some people), engaging in hobbies, community service, exercise, eating well, doing yoga, meditating, etc, etc---- but if you are engaging in the poor, reactive behaviors too---ie monitoring, self checking, obsessing, seeking reassurance--via friends docs and medical testing, googling etc,  it is pretty much impossible for the proactive (good)stuff to get a solid foothold.  You can't make any progress.  all you will accomplish  is turning yourself around in circles.   

my bro in laws who are shrinks are fond of saying:

"if the therapist is working harder than the client, then therapy fails."

getting better is almost a full time job  :yes:

good luck and be well  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Tags: