Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: What is this feeling?  (Read 179 times)

Offline Mauve

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
What is this feeling?
« on: August 17, 2014, 06:38:18 PM »
I'm not sure if this is in the right section or not, but I'm hoping that someone can give me some insight :)

Sometimes when I get really anxious, or things in life are a little unstable, I get this terrible feeling in the middle of my chest. It's hard to describe, but I just feel empty. It's like there's a huge, aching, gaping hole in my chest and I'm struggling to keep it from caving in. I normally only get it at night/in the evenings, and thus it keeps me from sleeping. Sometimes clutching a pillow or other object helps a little, but it's very hard to get rid of and almost feels like a physical pain.

So, my question is: what exactly is this feeling? Is it anxiety or depression or something else?
I'm not new to anxiety problems, but was unaware that it was anxiety until recently.

Thank you so much!

Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: What is this feeling?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 05:30:18 AM »
It might be a symptom of night time anxiety. Some people have morning anxiety. You seem to get your anxiety at night. There are so many symptoms. It would nice to learn how to relax. Breathing exercises. Aches and pains do come with anxiety. We tend to focus more on them once they hit us. Thus we make them worse. So something to take your mind off of yourself. To stop you focusing inwardly. It is nothing dangerous. As it only comes on at night. So we can safely say it is anxiety related.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 22
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
Re: What is this feeling?
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 02:14:45 PM »
I'm not sure if this is in the right section or not, but I'm hoping that someone can give me some insight :)

Sometimes when I get really anxious, or things in life are a little unstable, I get this terrible feeling in the middle of my chest. It's hard to describe, but I just feel empty. It's like there's a huge, aching, gaping hole in my chest and I'm struggling to keep it from caving in. I normally only get it at night/in the evenings, and thus it keeps me from sleeping. Sometimes clutching a pillow or other object helps a little, but it's very hard to get rid of and almost feels like a physical pain.

So, my question is: what exactly is this feeling? Is it anxiety or depression or something else?

Yes! Yes! and Yes!

This occurs to all of us at one point or another, It sounds like this "Anxiety Disease" - as it is known...  Seems to be a part of life for many of us. ::)

Here is some information that will help you move forward to a better and healthier life:

Being a member here, I have found 3 great areas to help you
1.   Solid and helpful information and even a self-test quiz, VERY HELPFUL when I speak to my dr. - I would have printouts of my symptoms and self-quiz to help my doctor point me in the right directions - here are some great links to get you started :grinning-smiley-003:

SELF-DIAGNOSIS AND SELF-TESTS

http://www.anxietyzone.com/NIMHpanic.pdf - PANIC DISORDER + SELF-TEST
                                            I have chest pains or a racing heart.  I have a hard time breathing or a choking feeling.
                                            I feel dizzy, or I sweat a lot.  I have stomach problems or feel like I need to throw up.
                                            I shake, tremble, or tingle. I feel out of control. I feel unreal.
                                            I am afraid I am dying or going crazy.

http://www.anxietyzone.com/NIMHgad.pdf  -  GAD anxiety + SELF-TEST
                                            I never stop worrying about things big and small. I have headaches and other aches and pains for no reason.
                                            I am tense a lot and have trouble relaxing. I have trouble keeping my mind on one thing.
                                            I have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep. I sweat and have hot flashes.
                                            I sometimes have a lump in my throat or feel like I need to throw up when I am worried

http://www.anxietyzone.com/NIMHdepwomenknows.pdf - DEPRESSION + SELF-TEST
                                            Persistent sad, anxious, or "empty" mood. Loss of interest or pleasure in activities, including sex.
                                            Restlessness, irritability, or excessive crying. Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, helplessness, hopelessness,.
                                            Sleeping too much or too little, early-morning awakening.  Appetite and/or weight loss or overeating / weight gain
                                            Decreased energy, fatigue, feeling "slowed down"
                                            Thoughts of death or taking one's own life. Difficulty concentrating, remembering, or making decisions.
                                            Persistent physical symptoms that do not respond to treatment, - headaches, digestive disorders, chronic pain

http://www.anxietyzone.com/NIMHocd.pdf - OCD + SELF-TEST
                                            I have upsetting thoughts or images enter my mind again and again.
                                            I feel like I can’t stop these thoughts or images, even though I want to.
                                            I have a hard time stopping myself from doing things again : counting, checking on things, washing hands.
                                            I am Re-arranging objects, doing things until it feels right, collecting useless objects
                                            I worry a lot about terrible things that could happen if I’m not careful.
                                            I have unwanted urges to hurt someone but know I never would.

HELPFUL ARTICLES AND INFORMATION
                                    http://www.anxietyzone.com/MENANDDE-coverpage(1).pdf – Depression for men 
                                    http://www.anxietyzone.com/NIMH317.406_F_TSH_treatable.pdf  - Depression is Treatable
                                    http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,26.0.html – Social Anxiety overview

2.   Many caring members and resources to help you in both Therapy – CBT, Positive thinking, and Medical Therapy – which medications are being used and our member’s experience in using them.  :sad0126:

3.   Chat – Being able to communicate with on another is so important in the healing and recovery process.  :chat:

Make yourself home, and feel free to post any questions you may have. 

You have a bright Future waiting for you!   :nature-smiley-016:

Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Tags: