Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: I think I might have Hantavirus  (Read 129 times)

Offline myth2ks

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I think I might have Hantavirus
« on: August 17, 2014, 04:11:45 PM »
Hey Guys! I am new to the forum, so if I break any rules I apologize in advance.

My issue:
I was cleaning up a cabinet in my house, and it was filled with rat's nest, feces, and urine. I did not use any chemicals or mask to clean it up, and I used a vacuum. I felt a little light-headed afterwards, so I search up the symptoms online and what do you know...it scares me with a serious virus (Hantavirus). I panicked and started to get severe anxiety, so I went to the ER and had a triage with the doctor. He told me the incubation of the virus is 1-6 weeks for me to get the "early/initial" symptoms, so I just went home with nothing done to me. Since there is no cure or treatment, he told me he would just put me in ICU and I would go in to supportive care. This is what scares me the most, because the fatality rate is pretty high (1 in every 3 people).

I live in Colorado, where it's rural with nothing but hills and tall grass. According to CDC, Colorado is the 2nd most reported cases for hantavirus in US. The most common species that hantavirus is carried in is the deer mouse (which I am assuming lives in wooded areas or somewhere with a lot of trees).

Some symptoms I have been having:
1) Loss of appetite
2) Stomach Ache
3) Right Side of my chest gives a mild pain(from scale 1-2)
4) Diarrhea
5) Dizziness
6) Severe Anxiety

Some of these symptoms cross-list with general anxiety disorder, so the symptoms could be cause from anxiety. But I want to be sure I don't have this deadly virus. I have been keeping a health diary since I was exposed, and now its day 4.

I also read if the feces, urine, and nest are over 3 days old than the virus dies at room temperature. No one in the family has cleaned that cabinet in a very long time, but rodent infestation is not uncommon in this house.

Is there a way I can check if I have this virus locally? I have the feces and broken up nest in the vacuum still if I can check for that.

I do not have health insurance, so seeing a doctor is pretty difficult for me since I have no income. Please I need some help, because this anxiety and fear is going to kill me one day...
Bookmark and Share

Online sickofworry

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I think I might have Hantavirus
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 07:45:31 PM »
This is actually one of my trigger illnesses so I completely understand.  In fact I am so freaked out by it I talked my DH into selling our old house because it had a heavy mouse infestation.  But, it is extremely rare, even in states that have the highest number of cases.  Also, Hantaviris gets really bad really fast, like in hours after the first symptoms appear.
Bookmark and Share