Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: RABIES from a cat scratch?!  (Read 80 times)

Offline funnybunny

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
RABIES from a cat scratch?!
« on: August 17, 2014, 01:19:18 PM »
I was at my friend's house sitting at her table. She has a cat that likes to spend time both indoors and outdoors. She is very affectionate but can be a little pushy about getting her lovin' time. Anyway, I was sitting there and the cat came in from outside meowing and trying to get my attention and when she couldn't, she jumped in my lap with her claws out. She scratched me a little bit (I have three little red marks and one small scab on my right thigh) so I removed her and put her on the floor (she was not pleased). I pet her later without her getting upset and pushy and everything was fine.

This morning I have a sore/itchy throat (people were smoking at the house last night so it could have been that) and the little marks are red. I know the cat likes to go outside. It was acting normally for this particular cat but I am SO TERRIFIED I am going to contract rabies. I know it has had its shots in the past few years but I am not sure how recently. What if it touched something that had rabies and then scratched me? Can I get it that way? I am terrified right now. Please help, this is weighing heavily on my mind and I really wanted a pet cat but now I don't think I would react well to it. HELP
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: RABIES from a cat scratch?!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 02:21:02 PM »
the cat doesn't have rabies.  yes, I would bet my house on it.  If I lived near your friend's cat, I would even voluntarily go and get scratched by it.   :winking0008:  AND I am allergic to those cute furry things.  if it would make you feel better, ask your friend if she is a responsible pet owner who vaccinates her cat.  even if she isn't, the likelihood of the cat having the virus is practically nil.    You are fine.  well other than your anxiety disorder.   :winking0008:

Lastly,
rabies is a common fear amongst hypos.   so far no rabies 'fearer' here has ever been dx'd with it.  In fact, unless you are a spelunker  or make a habit of chasing around foxes, skunks, and raccoons , i bet you will never even be exposed to the virus
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Tags: