Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: My BP is sky high again  (Read 184 times)

Offline fordaisy

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
My BP is sky high again
« on: August 17, 2014, 12:47:05 AM »
I quit taking ativan 3 days ago and today it hit me hard. I have been feeling anxious all day and tonight feeling like I want to jump out of my skin. When I checked my BP it was 142/85. I felt so bad I took 1/2 of ativan (from a 1mg pill). My BP came down to 135/79. It's been about a 1/2 hour. I still feel anxious though. I'm thinking I should take the other 1/2 to relax and get to sleep, but hesitant cause I want to get off of them. I need to call my doctor Monday for an appointment on how to handle this. Any advice on what to do? I feel awful and need some advice. Should I just take the other 1/2?
Bookmark and Share

Offline fordaisy

• Poke This Member
Re: My BP is sky high again
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 01:18:20 AM »
 :traurig001: I guess I am the only one that can't sleep tonight.  :traurig001:
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 21
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 01:57:43 AM »
142/85 is far from "sky high".  Relax and it will come down...actually stop taking your blood pressure.  That would be a good first step.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline fordaisy

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 02:18:25 AM »
Thanks for your reply shawn. Trouble is if I don't do something it will keep rising to over 200. I get that "feeling" and it just sky rockets.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 07:17:43 AM »
142/85 is far from "sky high".  Relax and it will come down...actually stop taking your blood pressure.  That would be a good first step.

I agree with shawn

fordaisy,  you've had a few posts lately.  I haven't posted on them but read a few.  your anxiety has been SKY HIGH lately.  High anxiety will often trigger higher BP.  this is especially true when the anxious person worries about bp and follows it closely.   

If you've come off ativan  recently, you will have to expect some anxiety like this.  ativan and other meds in that class (while they can help some people short term) don't fix anxiety.   you are going to have to try other 'natural' methods to calm yourself.

so besides stopping the checking of bp, another beneficial thing to do is really distract your mind and body..  Yes, of course, it is difficult and beasty will tell you that you can't.....  but we all can distract the mind/body.  there are many things to do even at night.    what distractions are you willing to do?   and I mean is distractions given the proper chance to do its job without you monitoring?
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 07:22:52 AM »
142/85 is FINE!!!!    I had stopped taking my BP pills because mine was getting too low for my liking (teens over 60's), then I monitored it for 7 months and took my readings to the doctors (readings without medication were running mid 130's to mid 140's over high 70's to mid 80's. ) He told me that at those numbers I could just stay off the medication!  So relax, your bp is just fine.
(Now WILL it rise to over 200 or are you just IMAGINING that that could happen?)
Bookmark and Share

Offline terri

• love life
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 07:54:42 AM »
i know the forums is where we're supposed to go for help when we need it, but as others have pointed out, i have noticed you post a LOT. have you ever considered seeing a professional about this and these concerns hun? your BP isn't even that high.
Bookmark and Share

Online patmob

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 08:45:54 AM »
Unless you have been directed to do so by your doctor, stop taking your blood pressure.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 21
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 09:28:12 AM »
The OCD nature of self checking is a tough one to break.  I agree with a previous poster...unless your physician has told you to check your BPs...you shouldn't be checking them.  The more you check, the higher the anxiety. 
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Online HNDFL

• Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Never Give Up Never Back Down
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 09:50:22 AM »
I wish my BP was 142/85. In the doctors office my BP was 160/102, THAT is sky high. Mine has started to come down, but yours is not sky high.
Bookmark and Share
"An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up"-Proverbs 12:25

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."-John 14:27

Tags: