Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: sorry for another post...sore throat?  (Read 170 times)

Online marie204430

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Sad
    Sad
  • Trying to stop this cycle
    • Poke This Member
sorry for another post...sore throat?
« on: August 16, 2014, 05:44:06 PM »
When I wake up and do stuff its not so bad..it isn't the worst throat I've had, not even close.
I have acid reflux right now and my anxiety causes me to force myself to cough (Idk .why)
Does it.make sense that's what's causing it? I have two swollen lymph nodes doctors checked out that I'm worried about...
It hurts when I swallow sometimes on the sides symptoms down the middle
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rasalhauge

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
Re: sorry for another post...sore throat?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 05:56:57 PM »
When I wake up and do stuff its not so bad..it isn't the worst throat I've had, not even close.
I have acid reflux right now and my anxiety causes me to force myself to cough (Idk .why)
Does it.make sense that's what's causing it? I have two swollen lymph nodes doctors checked out that I'm worried about...
It hurts when I swallow sometimes on the sides symptoms down the middle

Marie, if it´s any consolation; I´ve had swollen lymph nodes in my throat since I was like 14-15 yrs old, and I´m not dead yet. Lymph nodes can be constantly swollen for no reason, as well as you already know, reacting to common colds. What are you afraid you might have?

I´m by no means a doctor, but I can tell you that lymph nodes in general is not very diagnosticaly important (neither is a sore throat). Your self-testing and checking is causing you to tense every muscle in the area your checking, and believe me that will cause a myriad of symptoms (all benign and only related to anxiety I might add).

Your anxiety is driving you to check and re-check over and over again, that wears on the body. Try, I mean really really try, to stop yourself from doing this and I can guarantee you that your symptoms will fade quite quickly.

Your sore throat is a direct consequence of either (a) your own actions or (b) a common cold. Neither is deadly, but the former is indeed dtrimental to your health in the long run. You have to break free from this compulsion, and in my honest opinion I think you´d react well to SSRI:S and CBT. Maybe you´ll even have more use of CBT than the SSRI:s, but the latter can atleast help you in the beginning to break the cycle=)
Bookmark and Share
“There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy.”

- Dante Alighieri

Offline Rasalhauge

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 05:59:28 PM »
Sorry for my poor spelling by the way, I´m working on it though =P
Bookmark and Share
“There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy.”

- Dante Alighieri

Online marie204430

Sad
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 06:09:14 PM »
Thanks for your post..it really put things into perspective. I really should stop worrying.
My last question is, is it concerning that sometimes I can feel one of then nodes in my neck(maybe) when I turn it in a certain position enough?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rasalhauge

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 06:20:56 PM »
Thanks for your post..it really put things into perspective. I really should stop worrying.
My last question is, is it concerning that sometimes I can feel one of then nodes in my neck(maybe) when I turn it in a certain position enough?

Not even slightly worrying=) Everyones lymph nodes are different. Some are noticeable all the time, some only when affected with a could or other infections and some are almost always more or less unnoticeable.

The Dr who checked your lymph nodes last time have far better training in detetecting irregularities than anyone here (maybe with a few exceptions). If there was anything, even the slightest, cause for concern, he would have told you about it. It´s his job, and I can asure you that he has seen things that point to true malignacy. He would know if any of your lymph nodes was a cause for concern. You´re ok=)
Bookmark and Share

- Dante Alighieri

Online marie204430

Sad
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 06:26:16 PM »
Sometimes when I turn my neck I can feel it in my neck, like a small bubble Idk. Without tocuhing it I meam
Thanks so much rasal, that helps a lot. They may have always been here..Idk. All I know is in the last two weeks they haven't gotten bigger, probably a bit smaller if anything.. I have to trust the doctors.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rasalhauge

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 07:16:30 PM »
Sometimes when I turn my neck I can feel it in my neck, like a small bubble Idk. Without tocuhing it I meam
Thanks so much rasal, that helps a lot. They may have always been here..Idk. All I know is in the last two weeks they haven't gotten bigger, probably a bit smaller if anything.. I have to trust the doctors.

Most likelly it´s like you say, that it´s been there all the time. With HA comes hyper-awareness, that makes us "discover" new symptoms all the time (even though in 99% of all cases the "symptoms" has been there all the time). We become so obsessed with all bodilly functions that we manage to interfer with stuff that should be automatic. In my case, I can sometimes focus so hard on my walking patterns that it becomes almost impossible to walk normal at all.

The same goes for finding new things to worry about. This is your anxiety talking. Your logic tells you that the node is normal, but your anxiety has to tell you otherwise. It´s like your anxiety has a mind of its own (it most definitelly has its own agenda too). Your anxiety always struggle to get the upper hand of your logic, and every time you give in to your anxious thinking you´re feeding. Try to listen to your logic, and eventually your anxiety will wither and die=) You and me, along with most others here, has to learn to fight the anxiety off. Not feeding iot by checking/monitoring, Googling and testing. Try to give your anxiety as little attention as possible. Borderline impossible in the beginning, but will get easier with every attempt to fight it=)

Ahh, I feel as if I ramble on here. Sorry about that=)
Bookmark and Share

- Dante Alighieri

Online marie204430

Sad
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 09:01:11 PM »
Thanks again Rasal, you've helped so much. I just came back from going out and I actually feel a lot better and a lot o my "symptoms" have subsided or have lessened quite a bit. I\m going to start making check points for myself..
For example, one day of not self checking, then two days, etc. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rasalhauge

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 09:06:17 PM »
Thanks again Rasal, you've helped so much. I just came back from going out and I actually feel a lot better and a lot o my "symptoms" have subsided or have lessened quite a bit. I\m going to start making check points for myself..
For example, one day of not self checking, then two days, etc.

No problem at all, glad I could help. Glad to hear that you feel better now, physical activities is a real antidepressant. Going out and getting some distance from the anxiety is so important, it´s a major part in the recovery process=)

I´m going to do the same as you, going to try and to this step by step, instead of going all in directly. Slow and steady wins the race, right?=)
Bookmark and Share

- Dante Alighieri

Tags: